Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: HOw about POrtals!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Talking HOw about POrtals!!!!

Anyone thought of making portals. I have no access the tools needed but i just thought i throw it out there. I love portals, Just imagine the posabilitys. :-P

O i forgot make them for tlt axles.
Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

If you go to Europe, you'll see that the scale guys already have portals. They have been runnign these for some time now..... and RCC has already had a discussion about portals before, search ;)
Attached Images

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

WOW! i want some ill run a quick search see what i can find.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

just a quick question. what are portals? are they the tubes that stick out on the axle?
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #5

Wow! How much does the Uni mog cost?
slotsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:32 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I remember that thread. From what I can remember, the basic consensus was that it will cost an outrageous amount for the initial prototype, and still a lot of money for the production units.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:02 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzhead
just a quick question. what are portals? are they the tubes that stick out on the axle?

its the name for those specific type of axle. there is a gearbox or a chain (not sure about the chain) in the hubs that offers more reduction and a much larger ground clearance under the middle of the axle. most in the 1:1 world have a very high gear ratio (numerically) for really really low speed with tons of torque.

not sure how the name came about, but im almost certain its a military term.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:27 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

yup they were first found in unimogs, but now you can just buiy the axles for yuor 1:1 rig, but even though it looks cool and the added reduction is nice, id still think its not that but of a differnce
pinkfloydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I remember that thread. From what I can remember, the basic consensus was that it will cost an outrageous amount for the initial prototype, and still a lot of money for the production units.
Thats what i gathered from the old post.

Why couldnt they be made of plastice like the stock nuckles? the hard part would be finding gears.

Know adays 1:1 404 unimog axles are hard to come by but there the coolest axle around in my book. Has everyone seen the new hum9 axles from usa6x6?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke
Thats what i gathered from the old post.

Why couldnt they be made of plastice like the stock nuckles? the hard part would be finding gears.

Know adays 1:1 404 unimog axles are hard to come by but there the coolest axle around in my book. Has everyone seen the new hum9 axles from usa6x6?
ya the hum9 axles are awsome, i was thinken about haven one built for my willyspickup a wile ago, but then i figured they'd probly cost tomuch.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

alot of people have tried portals. and not just people who had no clue what they were doin. some of the more experienced people on this board have tried it. But its just not and efficient way to get a lower ratio and raise ground clearence. First off they have to be very strong and have a very solid way to mount to the axle. Second since they would cost so much to produce it wouldnt make much sense to buy when you get get a good gear reduction for under $20.
pedesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

If you want more clearance, do what only RC'ers can. Lock some IFS arms down and 4 link it like the Maxx crawlers. I've seen some pede projects to it, but they mostly fall short of their goal. The pede platform is an awesome one to start with to do the IFS ground clearance trick, but it takes quite a bit of work.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
If you want more clearance, do what only RC'ers can. Lock some IFS arms down and 4 link it like the Maxx crawlers. I've seen some pede projects to it, but they mostly fall short of their goal. The pede platform is an awesome one to start with to do the IFS ground clearance trick, but it takes quite a bit of work.

Can and has been done in the 1:1 world... also been combined with portals :p
Jneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:13 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Well i dont have the pic anymore but i had a pic of a 1:1 square housing dana60 that was arched. it was the weirdest thing i have ever seen.

Quote:
hmm i have a pede sitting in the corner maybe ill see what i can do with it need to find a single straight axle for the rear tho cuz i stole the tranny. I wish i had a mill.