Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Ultimate Custom Built Crawler- What parts would you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default The Ultimate Custom Built Crawler- What parts would you use?

If you were to build what you thought was the ultimate custom scale crawler from the ground up, what parts would you use? Basically you would either build your own frame / chassis or buy one, then add all the best parts out there to get the best performance possible. What would you build? Would you make some of your own parts? What would make the best performing scale crawler for you?

Last edited by Stomp; 12-29-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Ultimate Custom Built Crawler- What parts would you use?

If i had the right tools, id try to fab up as much as i could for the one-off custom build. If i had to buy a chassis, either axial or traxxas.

Definantly go with cms
1.9 wheels/tires (love my PB rock beasts)
Either castle or HW1080 esc
Holmes hobbies trail master brushed motor
Powerhd 20kg servo
Traxxas gts shocks
Vanquish axles
Either homemade links, HR links, or vanquish links, or maybe leaf
Samix lower shock spring perch
Rc4wd winch
Servo/bumper mount
Castle bec

Thats all i can think of at the moment lol

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

For the ultimate scale rig I'd start with a cross sg4-c on rc4wd toyota 2 axles. It would crawl like garbage and break very often but that's scaler life afterall.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

WAY too many choices... if money was no object.

I live in a tiny one-bedroom apartment, not conducive to welding or brazing myself.

I'd rely on some of the excellent vendors we have out there...

For a tiny-tire (1.55" wheels, smaller-than-4.19" diameter tires) rig, I'd go with the new GCM Delta chassis / transmission as a base.

For 1.7" or 1.9" wheels and 4.19" tires, probably the new SSD Pro44 axles (perhaps the portals?) and maybe Axial SCX10 II-based chassis and transmission (everything possible would likely be aftermarket).

For 1.9" wheels and 4.5"+ tires, I could go with a heavily upgraded & modified TRX-4 or just say to hell with it and customize a Vanquish Origin.

Anything on 2.2" wheels, I'd just go hog-wild over at DluxFab.com for axles($$$!) and then use a SuperShafty Bomb-Proof transmission (or whatever), and a custom chassis.

If I could only pick one, I'd probably get a 3D-printed Unimog body, truggy tubular back half done by someone here on the forum (I've seen some fantastic work by Pimpin Crawlers), on SSD Diamond or Pro44 portal axles with a SuperShafty SCX10 transmission, a Mamba X ESC, a Holmes Hobbies Revolver motor, Holmes or ProModeler servo, and a FlySky Noble radio.

On various LockedUpRC, GearHead, SSD or SuperShafty Falcon wheels. Likely a set of each, wrapped in different tires for a different day of the week to satisfy my rubber fetish...

But, in reality - I love my mildly modified and upgraded '72 K10 Ascender on 4.19" tires and 1.7" wheels, running a brushed HH Trailmaster 550 21t and a HobbyWing 1080 ESC with a $20 DS3218 servo and a FlySky GT3C radio. Cheap and FUN!

(I did spend an awful lot of money on my Bomber, it has the Revolver / Mamba X combo and 4 or 5 sets of wheels and tires and loads of other upgrades, it's also a blast to drive - but the fun per dollar ratio is lower than the "little" Vaterra Chevy)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote