Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: One handed driving mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default One handed driving mods

I'm doing allot more filming then I was before and would like to find a good mod for making one handed driving allot easier. Let's see your ideas on the best way to accomplish this modification. Look forward to seeing your setup! Thanks!!!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: One handed driving mods

I want to try out the Traxxas 6532 Transmitter Phone Mount. It is designed to fit the TQ transmitter and for $15 looks like it should work.

Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #3

They also make the same type of mount for ttx300 remotes. I used a go pro mount and stuck it to my ttx200.
djc32294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

These are popular out here, a guy with a printer makes them. Not sure where you can buy them online but I think the concept is fairly common so it ought to be out there somewhere.

*edit. If you can’t find one and want, shoot me a pm and I can snag one or two this weekend and send them out to you.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 03-21-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I have a phone mount that I attached to my tqi remote that works pretty good. It was a windshield cell phone mount the wife had that broke. It works pretty good. I just don't like all the sound that the camera picks up from the trigger, switches and steering wheel. So figured maybe I should try one handed driving. My thumb reaches the wheel but I can only get about half throw of the steering like that. Slapped a 1.9 tire on the wheel and that seems to work ok but I'm not willing to permanently attach a tire to my remotes
Old 03-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #6

Both of my ideas have been addressed, but I'm going to talk anyway.

As shown above, there are things that you can put on to your controller to extend the reach of the wheel. I've also seen guys just screw a piece of fuel tubing to the wheel for a super easy solution. Since I like less permanent solutions, another idea is to attach a hose clamp to the wheel to hold some sort of L-shaped bracket that can extend toward your thumb. Easy to find that sort of junk laying around the house so you don't have to buy a ton of crap.

The other idea, which is what I use, is to attach the camera right to the controller. There's been some mention of that above. Because I'm a cheap ass, I did a home-brew solution for this too. I already had one of those cheap phone/go-pro clamps that attaches to a tripod, so I bought one of those metal clothespin style clamps at Home Depot for $1, and threaded a 1/4-20 bolt & nut through one of the holes in the handle. Now my phone clamp can thread directly to the clamp that I can stick on to any controller base.

Easy as pie and cost me virtually nothing.

Yet another option is to get a hat clamp, or use the same clamp I just mentioned but clamp it to your hat. I don't like this idea as much because it puts the camera farther from the action, so those cool close-up shots that everybody likes are impossible. But, it's still an option.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 03-21-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

This is the way that I did it. I made a more detailed thread about it on here somewhere. I'll link it if you're interested. Took a lot of fitting/ trial & error to get everything right. It works though!

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

Like and like ^^
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #9
RCC Addict

You know ,i made mine out of styrene.

I cut the styrene in a shape i like, shoo-goo'd the pieces together, a lil duct tape i also used. Cut a hole at the bottom of the thumb steererer thing, and i used a velcro strap to hold it down. Wa-lah .

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
These are popular out here, a guy with a printer makes them. Not sure where you can buy them online but I think the concept is fairly common so it ought to be out there somewhere.

*edit. If you can’t find one and want, shoot me a pm and I can snag one or two this weekend and send them out to you.
That looks like it would work pretty good. Wish I knew someone local with a 3d printer. Can get them on shapeways for $15 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
This is the way that I did it. I made a more detailed thread about it on here somewhere. I'll link it if you're interested. Took a lot of fitting/ trial & error to get everything right. It works though!

I like this one. Looks like you wouldn't have to stretch your thumb at all to run it.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Definitely gave me some ideas for options.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
You know ,i made mine out of styrene.

I cut the styrene in a shape i like, shoo-goo'd the pieces together, a lil duct tape i also used. Cut a hole at the bottom of the thumb steererer thing, and i used a velcro strap to hold it down. Wa-lah .

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Right on! Love the budget thumb catch! I might end up going this route since I have 3 remotes and I'm a broke crawler on a tight budget Where's my like button at???? Lmao
Old 03-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I use the Traxxas phone mount for my Defender, and the Shapeways THC wheel add-on on my FlySky GT3C for one-handed driving, but I'm not that good with using either one...

Driving and filming at the same time is kinda tricky and I usually just give up and concentrate on driving.

The best method I've found is having a buddy shoot 5 minutes of video, then trade off filming them for 5... and then putting the cameras away!!
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

If you hold the remote weird like me you can reach the throttle and steering easily though you're stuck having to film with your left hand so I hope you like "shake cam".... but thats really not helping anyone (I hold the remote like I'm a lefty but I'm not really a lefty).

Back to your current camera mount thats transmitting noise, maybe you can isolate it with some rubber between the mount and camera? just a thought
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I want to try out the Traxxas 6532 Transmitter Phone Mount. It is designed to fit the TQ transmitter and for $15 looks like it should work.

I have 2 of these but haven't tried them yet.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I use the Traxxas phone mount for my Defender, and the Shapeways THC wheel add-on on my FlySky GT3C for one-handed driving, but I'm not that good with using either one...

Driving and filming at the same time is kinda tricky and I usually just give up and concentrate on driving.

The best method I've found is having a buddy shoot 5 minutes of video, then trade off filming them for 5... and then putting the cameras away!!

Yeah I agree. I think it's aggravating some times trying to get a good shot when filming and driving. I'll get it tho. With my 6 day work weeks, beautiful wife and daughters. My schedule is pretty busy. So my crawl schedule rarely lines up with other local crawlers. That's why I need to film and drive :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
If you hold the remote weird like me you can reach the throttle and steering easily though you're stuck having to film with your left hand so I hope you like "shake cam".... but thats really not helping anyone (I hold the remote like I'm a lefty but I'm not really a lefty).

Back to your current camera mount thats transmitting noise, maybe you can isolate it with some rubber between the mount and camera? just a thought

Didn't think about isolating the mount with rubber that should stop a good bit of it. It was a hack job quick thing I did months ago. It's due for a tighten up.

Here it is!

As I cleaned up my work bench this evening before I left work I was cleaning up a bunch of 2-cycle parts that I replaced in the past week. There it was...

Cleaned it up a little bit with a flush cutters, razor knife and a file. Will rub the white emblems with some alcohol or some thing. It fit like a glove! Now I have an idea for the flysky gt3c. Give me a few days and I'm sure I'll get something made up. Wheel is a little farther away from the handle on it. So this will not work for it.

Thanks for all the help and ideas guys! Really helped me get outside the box. This is why I love this forum!!!
Old 03-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Sweet!

That looks like it will work great!
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

For those interested:

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote

One handed driving mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Left Handed Controller SpecE30Racer Electronics 3 04-21-2012 10:57 AM
One handed transmitter hacks ManxCrawler Electronics 4 09-08-2011 01:03 PM
one handed guitar player..wow vonclod Chit Chat 2 05-17-2011 07:50 AM
left handed guitar help josh hayes Chit Chat 4 05-30-2010 09:46 PM
gearing for under driving and over driving the diffs ax10oz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 04-12-2010 08:52 PM