Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What scale to drive?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default What scale to drive?

Having only driven 1/10-1/8 scale vehicles, what is it like driving larger or smaller scale rigs? Is is more of a matter of where you can drive and/or budget?

My initial thoughts are leaning more towards the larger stuff, say 1/6 or 1/7. UDR, Super Rock Rey, Yeti XL sized stuff. As I am building a larger scale rig right now, its seeming like bigger isn't better, trying to find scale terrain is looking like my first challenge. It seems the jumbo buggy will be good for fpv video, thats about it.

So, who has gone big or small, and can explain the joys, benefits, sorrows... of choosing that given scale?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: What scale to drive?

For crawling I think 1:10 is perfect.

Saw one of the huge red cats out on the trail, it was either limited to where it could go due to its size, or made everything else too easily. Cool to look at though.

For bashing, if you got the room to let the big boys fly go for it eh?
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Personally, and based on what I've read and who I've talked to many agree. (Just as far as terrain/obstacles)

1/10 -1/8 is the best general scale in most areas. Big enough to use natural terrain, small enough to find challenging obstacles.

The Losi/Vattera slick rock size 1/18 that's closer to 1/10 and the popular 1/12 and 1/14 trucks seem to be going the same places

My personal favorite and gaining popularity Is micro/mini
especially living in FL where there's very little rock and mostly sand and mud.

Most of it is classed as 1/24 (other than RC4WD Mini Gelande that's a true 1/1 but the axle width and 1.0" wheels on 1/24 classed micro/minis lend themselves best to compact/midsize 1/20 or 1/18 but also work well with full sized 1/20-1/18 using 1.0" wheels

This scale (and the new Axial SCX24) is perfect for throwing in my backpack while I travel around FL for work, I can find challenging natural terrain almost anywhere or any garden, it's much easier to crawl indoors on those hot or rainy days, and I can have a handful of spare 350mah 2s lipos that can balance charge via USB.

This smaller scale isn't for everyone, but it's pretty versatile IMO

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #4

I would agree that for most trails and mild crawling 1/8-1/10 is ideal. I do have a 1/6 scale Hummer H1 I built from a modified Summit and love it. We have a good amount of wide trails and it runs great on them. Not as nimble on the rocks as 1/10 trucks, but if you have good sized trails then I would definitely recommend a large scale rig, they're definitely a lot of fun.

You almost have to have a different approach/mindset when driving larger scale vehicles. They will make most obstacles seem too easy when compared to 1/8-1/10 trucks. You either need to find tougher obstacles if you just have to conquer something, or settle for a nice trail ride with a cool looking large scale rig.
87lc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87lc2 View Post
I would agree that for most trails and mild crawling 1/8-1/10 is ideal. I do have a 1/6 scale Hummer H1 I built from a modified Summit and love it. We have a good amount of wide trails and it runs great on them. Not as nimble on the rocks as 1/10 trucks, but if you have good sized trails then I would definitely recommend a large scale rig, they're definitely a lot of fun.

You almost have to have a different approach/mindset when driving larger scale vehicles. They will make most obstacles seem too easy when compared to 1/8-1/10 trucks. You either need to find tougher obstacles if you just have to conquer something, or settle for a nice trail ride with a cool looking large scale rig.
Pics of said 1/6 scale Summit-based H1???
rattmobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #6

Sure, here are a few. We take them out quite often. Mine is the sand 4-door hardtop and my father built the black wagon (also out of a stretched and narrowed Summit).

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-17-2019, 03:31 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Damn fine job on those 2!
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87lc2 View Post
Sure, here are a few. We take them out quite often. Mine is the sand 4-door hardtop and my father built the black wagon (also out of a stretched and narrowed Summit).

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Damn fine job on those 2!

X2 on the fine rides. Full LT conversion using all the Slayer stuff? Great Job hiding those 2.2/3.0 wheels on there.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #9

Yup, they are both LT conversions. They're really fun trucks to run, just a lot different than normal 1/10 scale. They pretty much go through and over anything without even locking the diffs. Locking the diffs and putting them in low makes for an absolute trail monster. They also crawl really well too for such a large vehicle. Obviously not as technical as most 1/10, but they hold their own. The JConcepts Scorpios tires help a lot, very soft & sticky.

I would definitely recommend having at least one large scale truck if you have the place to run it. We mostly take out the 1/10 crawlers, but it's definitely nice to have some variety in the collection. I haven't tried any of the micro scale trucks, but have been thinking of getting one to use in the house when I either dont have a lot of time or the weather is crap.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

Really digging those hummers as well! Have build threads?
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

1/10 is working really well for me on hiking trails. Big enough to tackle most obstacles, but small enough to sneak around the edge when the main obstacles are too big. Larger would become heavier, and harder to carry, which is relevant for me. Smaller could still be a lot of fun I think, but it seems the realism / dynamics suffer a little bit.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #12
RCC Addict

My Bomber is about the size of my stock Summit (and heavier), she's a big girl. I have half the stuff for the LT changeout for my Summit, I just kicked it to the back burner because I needed to stretch it for what I wanted it to turn into, what a hassle. Do Slayer axles fit as is? It is all the 3.0 stuff, right??? My large build is a go fast rig, dwarfing both my Bomber and Summit, perhaps a tad larger than a UDR. Also, where did you find the Hummer bodies?
Old 06-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #13

Slayer axles fit as-is, but just as easy to cut down the stock Summit axles. Hummer bodies are 1/6 Fastlane. They can be pretty detailed once you put a bit of work into them. Not as cheap as they used to be, but plenty on Ebay most of the time, just search "1/6 Hummer" or "Fastlane Hummer".

Sorry Pant, never posted a build thread (usually forget to take pictures when I'm building anyway), but if there's anything specific you'd like to see just let me know. It's a really unique vehicle and looks like a real H1 when going down the trail due to the high clearance independent suspension. I did make the shock pushrods longer to get the suspension as high as possible.

I think it's great that you guys appreciate this, I think it's the coolest but didn't think anyone would care. My father (who is a much better modeler than I) is building a full military version as we speak. It will have X doors, turret, real glass for windows, slantback conversion, and more. I'll post some photos up when he's finished with paint.

I also did a yellow wagon body, here are a few pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I never imagined something based on a Summit could look so scale. Very impressive!
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
I never imagined something based on a Summit could look so scale. Very impressive!
Thanks! Really appreciate it.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #16

easy......define your application.

what is your crawler terrain.

I've got an 1/8th scale.

also 10th 12th.

each is differet
Rocky Heap is offline   Reply With Quote

What scale to drive? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 wheel drive still scale? warriorsimi General Scale Talk 74 01-18-2014 01:13 AM
Scale drive train? Vp Monkey Vanquish Products 41 03-14-2013 07:32 AM
Scale drive 4-8-12 adamsfly Scale Videos! 0 04-19-2012 08:18 PM