Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Class 1 Rigs, Who's Better, Who's Best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Class 1 Rigs, Who's Better, Who's Best?

What are the best class 1 rigs right now?

The one truck I am not interested in, at all, is the TF2 (or variations there of). I have had a couple of these rigs, and they look awesome, but perform terribly without throwing a ridiculous amount of money at them..

Thanks.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Class 1 Rigs, Who's Better, Who's Best?

I don't have an answer, as I'm just getting into crawling. But, I do have a question...or, a few questions. First, what are the different crawling competition organizations? Second, can someone provide the URLs to their websites, so that I can check the various rules? Third, for those living in the West (especially California & Nevada), which organization(s) is/are the most prevalent?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Class 1 Rigs, Who's Better, Who's Best?

VS4 Origin or Pro is a great place to start. If you want a lighter rig, look at the Element

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I don't have an answer, as I'm just getting into crawling. But, I do have a question...or, a few questions. First, what are the different crawling competition organizations? Second, can someone provide the URLs to their websites, so that I can check the various rules? Third, for those living in the West (especially California & Nevada), which organization(s) is/are the most prevalent?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Browse through the sub-forums here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/#competitions-events
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Best bet would be to find the rules for what and where you want to run.

For example a vs410 and the pro version would be a poor choice where I am based on the rules but may be a perfect choice where Mike is.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post

Maybe I didn't word my post "correctly", so as to get more info...so, gonna try again. Taking what I already said, I see there's SORCCA, USRCCA, WRCCA, RCORVA, just to make a few. The problem is, I haven't found any functional websites for any of them.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I am also looking for a very capable class one rig. Up dates me here if there are any of these. Cheers

Sent from my vivo 1723 using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post

For example a vs410 and the pro version would be a poor choice where I am based on the rules but may be a perfect choice where Mike is.
How can you determine the "what", or "where, if you can't even determine which organization(s) is/are holding any events in an area? I'm used to off-road racing...brand new to crawling, and my LHS, which primarily careers to off-road racing, had no info that I've been able to determine. To "assist", I'm in the SF Bay Area, primarily the South Bay.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:57 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Maybe I didn't word my post "correctly", so as to get more info...so, gonna try again. Taking what I already said, I see there's SORCCA, USRCCA, WRCCA, RCORVA, just to make a few. The problem is, I haven't found any functional websites for any of them.

Quote:
How can you determine the "what", or "where, if you can't even determine which organization(s) is/are holding any events in an area? I'm used to off-road racing...brand new to crawling, and my LHS, which primarily careers to off-road racing, had no info that I've been able to determine. To "assist", I'm in the SF Bay Area, primarily the South Bay.

You sound rather frustrated...

I certainly gave you the place to get at least part of your answer - you asked for the organizations, and they are mentioned in that section - for that you're welcome.

Also - if you browse a bit - you will find little gems such as this:

http://sorrca.com/rules/2018Rules.pdf

Which was located here:

2019 Scale Rules

Then just Google what you can for results such as these:

https://www.facebook.com/RCCrawlingA...1898192177330/

https://www.facebook.com/RCCrawlingAssociation/?hc_ref=ARRAkIgNhTpqbmzLjrlanRRgCsImKXZYcPqvAGQQgZ ZXlPAT1qd3ZAclNcUN1kUYt48&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARDIos9eSlngvsV6OiD6aybTYwi3-TCNlkCE2HLcfkDOmrXkudMqldqc_aSxC97D0QF-Byxn85z4OH30Wspys6-EnY30T_SiUaM9chBL0syraKoXRHy3nIPRV7yrJwEake9jJmiW7 jd5_tXb7Y5JasdYhvJSqW8UaaeHjoCF4Bpn2og-Ox-vtrQ4by1JPTwsQ8vkMHzI_T_JrlMoy-73-V8q5tz7_mtAhY2UMejbJ8PHiyDB2TXTmOgzN-534HTyirviTkXosPpIiDOcRNv39pPxOg1y0aRRvc-K6D8ptGBW9QXZgIGfc3SQYJrG9R-725iBHdIS6sqz7eB0hCph_i8&__tn__=kC-R

Trouble is, many of these groups don't maintain their original websites and/or move to FB...

Hope that this helps out a bit, and maybe someone else can chime in with a bit more.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The Crawl Space Contender chassis has been kicking ass for a couple seasons, both locally and at the National level.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You sound rather frustrated...

I certainly gave you the place to get at least part of your answer - you asked for the organizations, and they are mentioned in that section - for that you're welcome.

Also - if you browse a bit - you will find little gems such as this:

http://sorrca.com/rules/2018Rules.pdf

Which was located here:

2019 Scale Rules

Then just Google what you can for results such as these:

https://www.facebook.com/RCCrawlingA...1898192177330/

https://www.facebook.com/RCCrawlingA...i8&__tn__=kC-R

Trouble is, many of these groups don't maintain their original websites and/or move to FB...

Hope that this helps out a bit, and maybe someone else can chime in with a bit more.
I do thank you...and, not "frustrated", just "confused". As you, yourself, mentioned, many organizations fail to keep their websites updates. In many cases, they don't even remember their IPs, leaving the websites 'dead'.

Regarding organizations who move to FB, that's great for those who use FB, but not everyone uses FB (I only refined recently, and purely for RC-related stuff)...plus, in many cases, in order to locate an organization's FB page, you need to know the name of the organization, right?

See how all that can cause "confusion"?

Old 12-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
VS4 Origin or Pro is a great place to start. If you want a lighter rig, look at the Element
Hang up and Drive
Like the rest of VP's offerings, the VS4 is top self, but with a price to match. I would like to keep the initial investment $400 or less.

Quote:

Excellent consideration! For the most part we run SORRCA rules, with a few mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
I am also looking for a very capable class one rig. Up dates me here if there are any of these. Cheers

Sent from my vivo 1723 using Tapatalk
Nice to see that I am not the only one looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
The Crawl Space Contender chassis has been kicking ass for a couple seasons, both locally and at the National level.
Very nice chassis, but I am looking more for a kit, or an RTR.

What are your thoughts about the SSD RC Trail King Pro Scale Crawler Chassis Builders Kit as a C1 rig?

I have also thought about seeing what I can do with the AE 1/12 trail rig, but from what I can see it needs a good amount of work to be a capable crawler. Overall it reminds me of the TF2 platform, but at half the price.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Very nice chassis, but I am looking more for a kit, or an RTR.

What are your thoughts about the SSD RC Trail King Pro Scale Crawler Chassis Builders Kit as a C1 rig?

I have also thought about seeing what I can do with the AE 1/12 trail rig, but from what I can see it needs a good amount of work to be a capable crawler. Overall it reminds me of the TF2 platform, but at half the price.
The next version that will be available will be offered as a full kit with links and trans/t-case to use stock AR44 axles and trans parts. Far better performance than anything RC4WD or SSD for a reasonable price.

I think the Trail King is more focused on scale looks than comp performance. Its a cool rig with lots of really scale features but not quite my cup of tea for kicking ass at a comp.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The next version that will be available will be offered as a full kit with links and trans/t-case to use stock AR44 axles and trans parts. Far better performance than anything RC4WD or SSD for a reasonable price.

I think the Trail King is more focused on scale looks than comp performance. Its a cool rig with lots of really scale features but not quite my cup of tea for kicking ass at a comp.
I'm not sure why you're thinking the Trail King is "more focused on scale looks". Even though it is called a 'Scale Crawler Chassis Builders Kit, it uses a link suspension, as opposed to a leaf spring suspension. It had more in common with the VS4-10 than a true "scale" crawler. Now, the Trail Finder 2, that is focused on scale looks.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Typically class 1 focuses on scale looks as much, or more then performance. You're as much about those scale points as you are clearing gates.

My local stuff is all on FB now. Searching there yielded rules and clubs etc.

Not sure why you didn't like my first response, I don't live in Florida and am not about to spend hours searching for ya. If you come to Alberta though, I've done the leg work for ya
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Typically class 1 focuses on scale looks as much, or more then performance. You're as much about those scale points as you are clearing gates.

My local stuff is all on FB now. Searching there yielded rules and clubs etc.

Not sure why you didn't like my first response, I don't live in Florida and am not about to spend hours searching for ya. If you come to Alberta though, I've done the leg work for ya
I am interested in performance, balancing that with scale looks. The king of scale looks is the RC4WD TF2, unfortunately, scale looks with the transmission, transfer case and frame rails are where the appeal ends. The rest of the truck is pure junk. I'd tolerate its extreme shortcomings if it were priced around $150-200. But, at $400+ for a kit, it should have premium parts that perform, the axles should be durable and perform. Instead, the axles and drive shafts break before they ever get to the rocks (literally, this has happened to all three of my TF2s). That is where the issues with this truck begin...

With that...

Quote:

Any idea of when this truck will come out?

I am still considering the AE F-150, I love the looks of the body, and its smaller size for C1. At $190, the price is low enough to accept the amount of parts that will need to be put into it to make it more competitive. The three big detractors are how far the diffs and center skit hand down, lack-luster steering, and iffy plastic transmission.

The SD RC Trail King Pro looks great, there are added points for scale parts and it having a transfer case. Pushing that against the Element Builder's kit, it is almost a wash, looking at scale parts vs price.

Any other options out there?

Oh, great, if not slightly bitchy discussion on rules. So no one needs to push any more pointless points, lets assume SORRCA rules apply here, and focus more on the trucks.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I'm building both...TF2 (w/the GCM LTR2 tranny/T-case) for "super scale", and the Trail King (semi-)scale & comp-crawler performance. Regarding the TF2's axles & driveshafts, thanks for the heads-up, tho, I do have a question. Does that only apply to the stock axles, or also to the Yota2 axles?

If only the 'stock', no worries...but, if it also applies to the Yota2 axles, what would you suggest/recommend for higher-quality, but still maintaining a Toyota scale appearance (I'll be installing the Killerbody LC70)? As for the driveshafts, what would your (up to the) top 3 recommendations be...again, wanting to maintain "Toyota" scale appearance?

Old 12-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm building both...TF2 (w/the GCM LTR2 tranny/T-case) for "super scale", and the Trail King (semi-)scale & comp-crawler performance. Regarding the TF2's axles & driveshafts, thanks for the heads-up, tho, I do have a question. Does that only apply to the stock axles, or also to the Yota2 axles?

If only the 'stock', no worries...but, if it also applies to the Yota2 axles, what would you suggest/recommend for higher-quality, but still maintaining a Toyota scale appearance (I'll be installing the Killerbody LC70)? As for the driveshafts, what would your (up to the) top 3 recommendations be...again, wanting to maintain "Toyota" scale appearance?

The stock axles are junk, I have not tried the Yota II axles, but I have heard that they are a good upgrade and solve a lot of problems with the kit. THIS is one of my biggest complaints, for a $400+ kit, it should come with those axles, and not have to spend another $200 just to get the drive train working properly.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The stock axles are junk, I have not tried the Yota II axles, but I have heard that they are a good upgrade and solve a lot of problems with the kit. THIS is one of my biggest complaints, for a $400+ kit, it should come with those axles, and not have to spend another $200 just to get the drive train working properly.
Understandable, and agreed. Thankfully, I got my TF Pro on Black Friday, for $269 (btw, reg price is only $350, not $400, at least here in the U.S.). For the driveshafts (to go in the Yota2 axles), will look into SSD & Vanquish, unless anyone has better suggestions.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're thinking the Trail King is "more focused on scale looks". Even though it is called a 'Scale Crawler Chassis Builders Kit, it uses a link suspension, as opposed to a leaf spring suspension. It had more in common with the VS4-10 than a true "scale" crawler.
Just because it has links doesn't make it the end all performance rig you think it is. There's still a big gap compared to a dedicated scale comp rig.

Quote:
Any idea of when this truck will come out?
By the end of the year it sounds like. Chassis parts have been cut, just waiting on shipping and the rest of the pieces now.

Class 1 Rigs, Who's Better, Who's Best? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What class for 1/6 rigs? Scratchthejeepguy Large Scale Rigs 3 05-01-2019 06:20 AM
Any Class 3 rigs? Absurd 1.5 Scale Rigs 3 06-08-2015 07:50 AM