Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Trx4 sport vs scx10ii

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #1

Default Trx4 sport vs scx10ii

I'm a proud owner of a vaterra ascender suburban and love taking it out on the rocks and trailing with it. I tend to stay away from the wet stuff for the time being. I plan to buy another crawler so my girlfriend can trail along with me. If she doesn't use it. I'll just have another crawler to play with. To the owners of both the trx4 sport and scx10ii. What points would steer you in a certain direction of choice? All servos and tires aside what mods would make one a better option than the other? I'm not competing, atleast not officially. Only have 2 people to crawl with at the moment. I'm on the fence about portals also, opinions?
Blandguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Trx4 sport vs scx10ii

I don't have a TRX4 but I've swapped for a couple runs.

I ONLY care about scale trail runs, no hand of God etc.

On that note, portals are the deal breaker for me, the stance, the easy mode, the non scale issue with both just make me yawn and not get excited about it.

This is ONLY MY opinion for the snowflakes.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

If you want out of the box quality, get the TRX4. Side by side the Traxxas leaves the Axial looking flimsy. The quality difference is glaring in my opinion. I have both and I am not impressed at all by my SCX10ii. I rarely run it. My Ascenders and TrX4’s on the other hand I really enjoy.

This is my experience.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have 3 TRX4 trucks, 2 being Sports and a Axial UMG10. I do not agree that the Axial is “lesser” quality, but the Traxxas is definitely beefier. I don’t foresee any normal trailing or crawling that my Axial is going to have durability issues with. My suggestion for your situation would be to get the Traxxas TRX4 Sport BUILDER’S KIT ($279), Hobbywing 1080 esc ($40), Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 550 12 turn motor($20), a $20-$30 20-25kg steering servo from Amazon or EBay, and either a Flysky GT3C ($40) or GT5 ($70). Yes, it’s more money than the RTR Sport but not a lot more and you’ll have a way better electronics package. Both my Traxxas and Axial have things that they do better than the other, but neither sucks anywhere. Good luck
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The Axial doesnt even come close to a TRX in durability and performance out of the box. Axial plastics are terrible, shocks are absolute garbage, front geometry is not optimal (but can be improved on the cheap at home). That said, I will also say most of my rigs are scx10 based and quite capable for being very scale builds. There is not much on them from axial but the platform has an incredible amount of aftermarket support to build exactly what you want.

But stock for stock, a TRX4 blows it out of the water if you just want a solid rig out of the box that requires no upgrades (electronics aside as you mentioned, as the TRX4 are the worst lol). Only thing I have done with our TRX4's, is take a bunch of the overweight useless plastic off of them lol. As for the portals, they only make sense on certain scale rigs. But if youre just wanting a spare rig to play around with dont let them bother you, and get the TRX4.

You cant go wrong with either one, but personally, the Traxxas is a better value no question.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:17 AM   #6

Between just those two models, I'd pick the TRX4 every time. If you're looking for a non-portal option, I'd look at the Enduro before I considered the SCX10II. In fact, that's what I did. The SCX10II really offers no advantages over the Enduro except that there are more companies all making the same upgrade parts, but there are more than enough making parts for the Enduro that you can make all of the same upgrades.

If you decide that you prefer a portal design, then by all means, the TRX4 is a great option. In driving my Enduro and my Gen8 in the same places, I can honestly say that I didn't really feel like the lack of portals was holding my Enduro back, but in all fairness, I have 4.75" tall tires on the Enduro, so I have good diff clearance. If I was using more modestly sized tires, I may feel differently.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
I have 3 TRX4 trucks, 2 being Sports and a Axial UMG10. I do not agree that the Axial is “lesser” quality, but the Traxxas is definitely beefier. I don’t foresee any normal trailing or crawling that my Axial is going to have durability issues with. My suggestion for your situation would be to get the Traxxas TRX4 Sport BUILDER’S KIT ($279), Hobbywing 1080 esc ($40), Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 550 12 turn motor($20), a $20-$30 20-25kg steering servo from Amazon or EBay, and either a Flysky GT3C ($40) or GT5 ($70). Yes, it’s more money than the RTR Sport but not a lot more and you’ll have a way better electronics package. Both my Traxxas and Axial have things that they do better than the other, but neither sucks anywhere. Good luck
That was another plan of mine aswell. Exact same electronics too. Starting to think I'm catching on to the game
Old 01-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Between just those two models, I'd pick the TRX4 every time. If you're looking for a non-portal option, I'd look at the Enduro before I considered the SCX10II. In fact, that's what I did. The SCX10II really offers no advantages over the Enduro except that there are more companies all making the same upgrade parts, but there are more than enough making parts for the Enduro that you can make all of the same upgrades.

If you decide that you prefer a portal design, then by all means, the TRX4 is a great option. In driving my Enduro and my Gen8 in the same places, I can honestly say that I didn't really feel like the lack of portals was holding my Enduro back, but in all fairness, I have 4.75" tall tires on the Enduro, so I have good diff clearance. If I was using more modestly sized tires, I may feel differently.
Not a bad idea there. I've considered the element. Didnt know there was much support for them
Old 01-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandguy View Post
That was another plan of mine aswell. Exact same electronics too. Starting to think I'm catching on to the game
Haha! Certainly seems so. That would be a great kit/electronics combo. The Element looks good too. I’ve seen several run at my local course and they’re nice. I almost bought one but ended up going in a different direction. Having a few rtr trucks and several kits now I would certainly say that I won’t buy a rtr again. Very decent electronics out there without breaking the bank. Good luck with your decision and looking forward to seeing what you get
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote

Trx4 sport vs scx10ii - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
Scx10ii or trx 4 sport Tigheguy Newbie General 40 05-24-2019 06:14 AM
TRX4 Sport Kit or SCX10II Raw Builder's Kit? westerlycarrot9 General Crawlers 13 05-10-2019 10:34 PM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM