Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shipping to Canada - Cheapest Option

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #1

Default Shipping to Canada - Cheapest Option

I have a guy interested in buying one my Rock Rey, but he is in Saskatchewan in Canada. What is the cheapest method to ship an RC from the US to Canada? Thank you.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Shipping to Canada - Cheapest Option

USPS/Can Post has always been the best for me.

Or if you want use a courier, probably DHL; not FedEx.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Canada Post was the cheapest I could find last time I shipped up there. Took forever and customs actually opened the package, but it got there unscathed.

At least they didn't find all the Peruvian marching powder stashed inside the spare tire lol.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
USPS/Can Post has always been the best for me.

Or if you want use a courier, probably DHL; not FedEx.
I'm finding the same about USPS so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Canada Post was the cheapest I could find last time I shipped up there. Took forever and customs actually opened the package, but it got there unscathed.

At least they didn't find all the Peruvian marching powder stashed inside the spare tire lol.
How did you ship via the Canada Post? When I go to their site to get a rate it doesn't allow me to select shipping FROM the US.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/a...execution=e3s1
Old 04-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

You'd need to ship via USPS and Canada Post will deliver it once it clears customs here.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
You'd need to ship via USPS and Canada Post will deliver it once it clears customs here.
Am Canadian, can confirm that anything shipped by USPS into Canada will be completed by Canada post.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I live in Canada and bought and sold rc stuff and always used Canada post/USPS.
jcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:55 PM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Yep, USPS has been my go to from US as well
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #9

Thank you, all. I'll leave this thread up for the next person trying to ship to Canada. Unfortunately, the dick that claimed to have serious interest in my Rock Rey pulled the "I got laid off card" when I gave him a shipping price quote.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Thank you, all. I'll leave this thread up for the next person trying to ship to Canada. Unfortunately, the dick that claimed to have serious interest in my Rock Rey pulled the "I got laid off card" when I gave him a shipping price quote.
Must've been a helluva shipping cost if it got him laid off! Were you sending a 1:1 Rock Rey??

Seriously, people...once you say "I WILL BUY IT", consider that a contract in this community.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
I know that shipping can be a deal killer for a lot of orders from the US I might otherwise make. The shipping is always cheap until you hit the Canadian border. Our shipping costs are substantially higher up here. That and if the product is valued over $100 you can be sure you will get hit with taxes and possibly even duty/brokerage fees on arrival. When you consider all of this in combination with the weak CDN dollar I am not surprised to hear someone may have gotten cold feet. before the Covid-thing, I would have my purchases shipped to North Dakota and go pick them up myself on daytrips/weekends to the US. Ordering from the US only made sense if I was going down anyway. I have learned that it is common to have free or nearly free shipping on orders shipped within the US. You guys are pretty fortunate to have such a thing.

Anyway, sorry to hear the sale fell through Jato. I am sure someone will scoop it up, that RR is sweet the way you set it up.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Must've been a helluva shipping cost if it got him laid off! Were you sending a 1:1 Rock Rey??

Seriously, people...once you say "I WILL BUY IT", consider that a contract in this community.
I agree. He owes me at least a finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I know that shipping can be a deal killer for a lot of orders from the US I might otherwise make. The shipping is always cheap until you hit the Canadian border. Our shipping costs are substantially higher up here. That and if the product is valued over $100 you can be sure you will get hit with taxes and possibly even duty/brokerage fees on arrival. When you consider all of this in combination with the weak CDN dollar I am not surprised to hear someone may have gotten cold feet. before the Covid-thing, I would have my purchases shipped to North Dakota and go pick them up myself on daytrips/weekends to the US. Ordering from the US only made sense if I was going down anyway. I have learned that it is common to have free or nearly free shipping on orders shipped within the US. You guys are pretty fortunate to have such a thing.

Anyway, sorry to hear the sale fell through Jato. I am sure someone will scoop it up, that RR is sweet the way you set it up.
I told him I'd work with him on shipping. Didn't even discuss a price. He just said he got laid off.

I didn't realize fees were due from the buyer on expensive shipments though! Thanks for that info.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #13
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
I agree. He owes me at least a finger.

I told him I'd work with him on shipping. Didn't even discuss a price. He just said he got laid off.

I didn't realize fees were due from the buyer on expensive shipments though! Thanks for that info.

It is lame when people back out on deals.

We get killed on the costs of some day to day things up here. Shipping is one example, the cost of cell phones and plans is another that comes to mind.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
We get killed on the costs of some day to day things up here. Shipping is one example, the cost of cell phones and plans is another that comes to mind.
But it's all offset by our healthcare costs...

Someone had to say it..
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #15
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
But it's all offset by our healthcare costs...

Someone had to say it..

Yeah, having to pay out of pocket for health care makes free shipping seem pretty trivial. Oh well, at least you guys get to bring hand guns to Starbucks...
Old 04-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I think I might have posted this up before. I was shipping some stuff to a friend of mine in North Carolina from Washington state. Don't know if they still do it but USPS had a "If it fits, it ships" shipping box and you didn't have to pay for the box until you actually took it in to the post office to ship it. The box size I needed was $8.95 shipped. I filled it, took it to the post office, and paid my $8.95. When they weighed it, I was told if I hadn't used the USPS "If it fits, it ships" box it would have cost me $44.00. Now that's what I call "We want your business" service.

Same thing in Canada would probably have been double to ship from British Columbia to say Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. If its a small heavy box, it costs big time and if its a large light box, same thing. Canada Post seems to get you coming and going. Needless to say, I rarely ship anything in Canada. I did hear Canada Post is doing a rip-roaring business right now. Seems like the only way to get some things right now.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
I think I might have posted this up before. I was shipping some stuff to a friend of mine in North Carolina from Washington state. Don't know if they still do it but USPS had a "If it fits, it ships" shipping box and you didn't have to pay for the box until you actually took it in to the post office to ship it. The box size I needed was $8.95 shipped. I filled it, took it to the post office, and paid my $8.95. When they weighed it, I was told if I hadn't used the USPS "If it fits, it ships" box it would have cost me $44.00. Now that's what I call "We want your business" service.
I bought an old Wilton vise off of eBay years back and it arrived in one of those boxes.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I shipped 50lbs of lead in a flat rate box a couple months ago... $14 to go across the country.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Yeah, it's all about the size of the package now.

Tags
canada, fedex, ship, shipping, ups

Shipping to Canada - Cheapest Option - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Still shipping to Canada! Locked Up Locked Up RC 3 07-11-2016 10:19 AM
Shipping to Canada CD13 Chit Chat 27 04-25-2011 11:54 AM
What is my cheapest receiver option? Pappy Electronics 7 01-25-2010 05:28 PM