Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Spring Rate Calculator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Spring Rate Calculator

Hey Everyone,
I don't know if anyone will find this useful at all. But I created a little excel sheet that gives me the optimal spring rate based on the weight of my vehicle and how much static compression I want on the springs. It then gives me the best spring to use based on Traxxas and Axial parts. (will probably add more as time goes)

These are based on the 14x70mm springs.

If anyone wants it, it's here to download or use and if you make improvements all I ask is that you share it back here for everyone's benefit.

I have locked the sheet so that you can't accidentally change formulas. (no password)

You need to enter information into the orange cells. The weight of the vehicle is in pounds because I wasn't about to use newton metres for spring rates... (I'm canadian where a river is 4 metres across and 3 feet deep.)

So you put in your weight on each corner (or best guess) and your overall shock travel. I have set it up with the stock travel for an Axial SCX10ii which is 30mm approx. or about 1.2 inches.

You can also adjust (as a percentage) how much compression you want to sit at. I have started it at 50% with an 8 pound rig.

Please note that all the rig specs on the left are calculated based on what you put in for the 4 corner weight.

Also, it gives you the optimal spring rate based on your desired compression so you don't need to use the recommended springs. that's just for convenience.

If anyone finds it at all useful let me know. I did start playing around with it on a hypothetical basis but no real world experience yet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lqx...ew?usp=sharing
AC49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Spring Rate Calculator

Sweet! I'll be using this.

Thanks
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Spring Rate Calculator - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd shock spring kitt spring rate Johan_Eriksson Newbie General 3 01-05-2018 07:55 PM
Stock spring rate LGrocks Vaterra Twin Hammers 8 07-02-2013 05:23 PM
Spring Rate Charts Nova's Ark General Crawlers 24 08-25-2011 10:15 AM
spring rate chart? corycrawler General Crawlers 3 09-25-2006 06:13 PM
Spring rate ... Zorglub Tamiya Clod Buster 2 01-29-2006 10:19 AM