Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX4 moving after Transmitter off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TRX4 moving after Transmitter off

I never noticed before but today I had turned off the radio before the ESC and I noticed the TRX4 Sport (Hobbywing 1080esc 3s battery Radiolink RC4GS) was moving forward- sooo slowly, I never turned off the radio before the ESC but today was different. Like I said this was the first time Any ideas?
Vic in SoCal
oldblue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TRX4 moving after Transmitter off

There's a reason why it's always advised to turn off the ESC, or unplug the battery (if no ESC power switch), before turning off the transmitter...and, you just discovered it. Congratulations.

Seriously, though, current systems operate in the 2.4GHz frequency, just as many other devices - Bluetooth, other wireless headsets, microwaves, cordless phones, etc. These can emit radio frequencies that can lead to what you experienced.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'll just start with this ancient RC rule: The radio is always supposed to be turned on first and off last. Back in the old days if you drove out of signal range the RC would go full throttle and you'd have to chase it down lol. This can also happen these days (well not so much going out of range but turning your radio off out of order) and depending on how the ESC was calibrated it may drive forward or it may go nowhere.

I dont know if Traxxas has a failsafe setting or if you just need to calibrate it. Anyway most nice radios have a fail safe that kicks in when radio signal is lost and its typically set to neutral so it doesn't run away.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:44 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

never too late to teach an old dawg (like me) new stuff- I'm sure I knew this when Regan was still in office- Thanks fellas
oldblue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I had issues with my TRX not behaving as it should, mostly steering and binding issues. I ALWAYS made sure I had the controller on first and off last. When I was Googling about the issue I found lots of people had issues with TRX4 receivers and controllers. I seems some TRX4 controllers and receivers just kind of suck after a while and others seem to continue to work fine. I got a bad one.

I fixed the problem buy getting a Spektrum DX5 Rugged. No issues since. The electronics I took out of my TRX4 and have been in a few different builds of my mine with various other controllers, even less expensive ones and they have all worked fine.

I have a Spektrum DX5 C for a couple of my kid's RCs and a Spektrum DX5 Rugged for mine. We are constantly powering up the controllers and then the RCs and having them set to the wrong RC. About half the time when we turn on an RC there is no controller linked to it and we never have issues. We have a few bashers and they all have cheaper spektrum controllers and we turn on the wrong controller and no issues.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-12-2020 at 06:16 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

like everybody says always plug in the the ESC last and always unplug first! like HumboldtEF said its a 2.4 ghz radio system the most common in the world and the car or rig or truck can get hijacked by so many signals in the area I had an HPI RS4 mini back in the 90's with an LRP top of the line ESC (castle creations of the time) I turned off the radio and the thing accelerated top speed and sped away couple 100 yards lucky nothing was damaged or anybody hurt! Similar thing happened with my Maxx 4S turned the Trans off and it went into reverse half throttle and hit my wife in the ankle thank god it was less than a foot a away from she had a bruise for a week so especially if its a fast vehicle always unplug first plug in last that's why I like Holmes hobbies he forces you to unplug the batterie no on and off switch GENIUS Yet Simple thanks MR. Holmes... Buzzzzzzz
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yup. Dont have the truck powered up without the radio on. My neighbor had his Traxxas radio batteries die mid trail, and hes a bit of a newb, so he decided to just swap the radio batteries without turning the truck off. Sure enough, the truck was creeping away until he powered the radio back up.

Also worth noting that I ended up with two Traxxas radios that wouldn't allow you to properly set steering EPA, and one would randomly unbind from the receiver. I'm so done with Traxxas electronics.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote

TRX4 moving after Transmitter off - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spare spots on the transmitter circuit board at the transmitter. caprinut Electronics 3 05-13-2018 02:48 PM
Stick transmitter vs pistol grip transmitter D19er Electronics 3 03-05-2014 09:52 AM
More power and faster moving forward than moving backwards? StickyWheels Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 01-07-2012 09:11 PM