Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gelande 2 leaf spring kit installation issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #1

Default Gelande 2 leaf spring kit installation issue

I have just installed the RC4WD leaf springs kit on my G2 FJ40. Did the axle over springs placement. I’m not sure how to install the stabilizer bar in this configuration as it hits the motor when installed behind the axle and hits the servo when in front of the axle where it also needs to be attached at the same spot the steering link is. Any suggestions please? The driveshaft is also right up against the transmission with no room for any suspension movement. I tried flipping the axle, but the steering geometry is then way off. Can the transfer case be flipped? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
redpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gelande 2 leaf spring kit installation issue

I don't think the stabilizer is needed once the leaf spring conversion is installed. The kit should have come with instructions omitting the stabilizer. If not, there is a link on the store site for that kit.

I made my own leaf spring conversion on mine, so I really don't how this kit fits together.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #3

Thanks. The instructions still include the stabilizer, but loses the panhard. They have the stabilizer behind the axle. With it in that location it hits the motor with an axle over the springs setup.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpeppers View Post
Thanks. The instructions still include the stabilizer, but loses the panhard. They have the stabilizer behind the axle. With it in that location it hits the motor with an axle over the springs setup.
Yeah I meant the panhard, sorry if I confused you.
You should be able to just move the steering stabilizer to the front and mount it so it will either, come through the springs on top or go under the springs. The link to the servo can be added to either side, depending on where you've positioned it, and using an extended screw, attach it to the knuckle.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #5

I will give it a try. The main problem I still have with the axle over the springs is that the driveshaft is actually touching the transmission and leaving no room for any travel.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

For the drive shaft, you could try using a TF2 transfer case mount. It drops down a little lower, so your clearance will be less than it is now, but it may offer a better line to the axle. If that doesn't work, you may need to fab a custom mount and use a U-joint drive shaft to the trans instead of the solid coupler. That way you can position it anywhere you need to. I need to do the same thing but haven't pursued that adventure yet. Good luck and post pics when you get it figured out. We can all use good conversion info.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Hows about some pics so we have any idea of how much room needs to be freed up.

Wish I was surprised that a Rc3wd conversion kit didnt work quite right, but after basically having to reengineer and fab a bunch of stuff on my TF2, I almost consider it par for the course. T5

On my TF2 I ended up swapping the servo, trans, and transfer case side to side so the transfer output was on the same side as the axle pinion. Still had to trim off a screw boss from the trans case to keep the front driveshaft from contacting trans case on full uptravel.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Gelande 2 leaf spring kit installation issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelande II Cruiser leaf spring conversion - custom vs kit TKW75 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 05-15-2018 10:31 AM
Front Leaf Spring shackle Issue Grumpster1980 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 28 05-03-2012 09:17 AM