Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Which Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Which Crawler

I've dug through so many threads I'm starting to get anxiety lol. Just wanted to chat about a new rig. I was going to build a huge fantastic shiny mud truck since I'm a Florida redneck but the more I thought about the one trick pony/breaking parts aspect I decided I want something better.

I like crawling, but not too technical. I like bashing, but just for a minute because it gets boring. I like trailing, so maybe a combo of the first 2. I've narrowed it down to a couple. I know you all are probably tired of these threads but I've tried to include a little detail. I'm aware there are many more choices than this but each of these caught my eye for a specific reason (eg. behind axle steering or scale looks)

Needs/wants:
*2.2 (would like to run the larger TSLs) - not a deal breaker and I'm aware they won't fit on a few of my selections without some cutting.

*3s/brushed
*Straight axle - I come from the scale model world so portals just don't do it for me. I could be convinced they are better though.

*Would like to build it
*Uber scale is not a huge deal but would be cool

I am looking at these(I'm aware a few of these are not in the same ballpark as far as what they are best at)

Trail King

Gate Keeper
GMade Buffalo
Redcat Gen8 V2

I am new to this but I just get the impression the hobby moves very slowly on the manufacturer side and the 'action' appears to be in the aftermarket realm. I don't want something I will have to rebuild with Vanquish parts the first 2 months or add 10lbs of brass weights (sorry couldn't resist Traxxas guys lol).
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Which Crawler

What you are describing is a Trail Truck, a Jack of all trades, master of none...

In my opinion, the SSD Trail King is the best bang for the $$. It is basicly what the Scx10II should have been imo with much better parts and a very scale drivetrain, esp for the Chevy guys. If you have a driver side drop on your Chevy (lol) I find without major modifications, the big 2.2 tires are difficult to mount to a 2nd gen or newer rig.

My Bronco is kind of what you describe, 3s big tires and good at most things, but not great at any. It has a rc4wd ax2 2 speed transmission Scx10II axles under a scx10 chassis, sitting on 110mm "superlift" shocks. One of the biggest problems I had was the big Boggers rubbing on the frame rails and links and shocks under full flex and turning. It also tried to rip of the sliders up front. I ended up taking off my sliders, and making new ones from aluminum angle, and going to a widener that is .850 according to Locked Up Rc on My 8 lug rims. about 3/8" wider than stock per side and now the tires barely touch the frame at full turn and stuff.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
What you are describing is a Trail Truck, a Jack of all trades, master of none...

In my opinion, the SSD Trail King is the best bang for the $$. It is basicly what the Scx10II should have been imo with much better parts and a very scale drivetrain, esp for the Chevy guys. If you have a driver side drop on your Chevy (lol) I find without major modifications, the big 2.2 tires are difficult to mount to a 2nd gen or newer rig.

My Bronco is kind of what you describe, 3s big tires and good at most things, but not great at any. It has a rc4wd ax2 2 speed transmission Scx10II axles under a scx10 chassis, sitting on 110mm "superlift" shocks. One of the biggest problems I had was the big Boggers rubbing on the frame rails and links and shocks under full flex and turning. It also tried to rip of the sliders up front. I ended up taking off my sliders, and making new ones from aluminum angle, and going to a widener that is .850 according to Locked Up Rc on My 8 lug rims. about 3/8" wider than stock per side and now the tires barely touch the frame at full turn and stuff.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, that I am looking in the trail truck market, not a rocks only deal. There really aren't a lot of rocks in Florida lol.

I could use the bead locked 1.9 Boggers off my SCX10 - they are pretty tall but not too wide. Would save me some money not having to buy new running gear, been thinking about switching them out on the mud truck anyways for some JConcepts.

Liking the idea of the TK because I can add whatever motor/esc/servo I want and pick a 12.3 body. I'm not married to Chevy on this build but do want something on the scale side of things, maybe a Traxxas body or something. Like said don't mind cutting but would like to keep CG low if I can in case I do want to throw it at the rocks. I was looking at the TK though and it seems like they nickel and dime you on accessories for the scale motor so it's really not a deal breaker either way, its not like I'm opening the hood to work on it haha.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The Element Gatekeeper should fit 2.2s, but it'll look kind of off because of it's already strange proportions. It looks like it crawls pretty well, you can trail with it, bash, eh, the cage makes it more durable but it lacks speed.

SSD trail king is like Creeper said, is the jack of all trades. Basically a SCX10.II with upgrades. Although it is a bit expensive for what it is, the scale engine and transmission and metal pieces raise the price, the SCX10ii raw builders kit is pretty much the same thing without the aluminum and scale parts. The only thing though is that the 10.2 RBK dosen't have the prettiest transmission.
I think for a trail truck you'd want 2 speed, gives you a little more oomph to drive around in. I'm not sure about the SSD Trail king, but the transmission on the 10.2 RBK can be 2 speeded. If you want to run 2.2s on the 10.2/SSD trail king, you'll need 110mm shocks and maybe hex wideners.

I think the Gmade buffalo might be worth considering, but parts availability and support can be low , but it's a good chassis.
Gen8 IMO is not worth considering, there's no kit, and it's on a level lower than most crawlers today, its just not as good as a 10.2 or trx4, ect.

Maybe it's a bit too pricey, but the TRX4 kit is pretty good IMO, its a great crawler, has 2 speed and unlockable diffs, which means it't good at speed; it doesn't flip as much because of unlocked diffs. The standard kit goes for 369 dollars, which is pricey, but it comes with all the electronics/radio you need. The stock electrionics aren't terrible, but they aren't terribly great either. Reciever and radio are a little lacking in programmability, and the Servo isn't good for crawling, but the motor and ESC are pretty decent. If you want 2.2s though you'll have to get 110mm shocks, but I think RC sparks did it without suspension mods.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
The Element Gatekeeper should fit 2.2s, but it'll look kind of off because of it's already strange proportions. It looks like it crawls pretty well, you can trail with it, bash, eh, the cage makes it more durable but it lacks speed.

SSD trail king is like Creeper said, is the jack of all trades. Basically a SCX10.II with upgrades. Although it is a bit expensive for what it is, the scale engine and transmission and metal pieces raise the price, the SCX10ii raw builders kit is pretty much the same thing without the aluminum and scale parts. The only thing though is that the 10.2 RBK dosen't have the prettiest transmission.
I think for a trail truck you'd want 2 speed, gives you a little more oomph to drive around in. I'm not sure about the SSD Trail king, but the transmission on the 10.2 RBK can be 2 speeded. If you want to run 2.2s on the 10.2/SSD trail king, you'll need 110mm shocks and maybe hex wideners.

I think the Gmade buffalo might be worth considering, but parts availability and support can be low , but it's a good chassis.
Gen8 IMO is not worth considering, there's no kit, and it's on a level lower than most crawlers today, its just not as good as a 10.2 or trx4, ect.

Maybe it's a bit too pricey, but the TRX4 kit is pretty good IMO, its a great crawler, has 2 speed and unlockable diffs, which means it't good at speed; it doesn't flip as much because of unlocked diffs. The standard kit goes for 369 dollars, which is pricey, but it comes with all the electronics/radio you need. The stock electrionics aren't terrible, but they aren't terribly great either. Reciever and radio are a little lacking in programmability, and the Servo isn't good for crawling, but the motor and ESC are pretty decent. If you want 2.2s though you'll have to get 110mm shocks, but I think RC sparks did it without suspension mods.

Price really isn't a constraint, other than I know I'm not stepping up into the Vanquish RTR level because it would just be wasted on my ability/knowledge. Nor do I plan on going macro with any upgrades just yet. I actually looked at the Traxxas Defender, maybe I need to look at it again. If its just a matter of a shock/servo upgrade I can live with that. I guess reading all of the Traxxas threads and seeing the amount of brass people throw at them I assumed it was top heavy.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

That Defender doesn't look bad in dark grey, helps hide the black windows Now just doing math to decide if I could dump $200-$300 into a builder kit. I'll bet I could pretty quickly once I add it all up. To be honest it would be nice to have something brand new where (hopefully) everything works together as it should. My SCx10 is a cobbled together mess lol. I have relegated it to experimental and bashing status.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Price really isn't a constraint, other than I know I'm not stepping up into the Vanquish RTR level because it would just be wasted on my ability/knowledge. Nor do I plan on going macro with any upgrades just yet. I actually looked at the Traxxas Defender, maybe I need to look at it again. If its just a matter of a shock/servo upgrade I can live with that. I guess reading all of the Traxxas threads and seeing the amount of brass people throw at them I assumed it was top heavy.
The TRX4 chassis is not top heavy at all, the Defender body that they use is pretty top heavy, so the guys use a lot of brass. The chassis it'self is just a high a COG as most other chassis.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
The TRX4 chassis is not top heavy at all, the Defender body that they use is pretty top heavy, so the guys use a lot of brass. The chassis it'self is just a high a COG as most other chassis.
Yeah I think that's what I meant, the body.

Man I have even more to think about now lol. The Crawler kit is $400...sport body is $45...for $20 more I can get the complete kit with a top heavy body...my brain is about to explode. Back to the forum search I go.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
RCC Addict

wow I should have been looking at prices on AMain instead of the Traxxas site. $415 to $485 depending on which flavor I like (raw kit + unpainted sport body is lowest, K5 complete is highest). I am having trouble wrapping my head around a K5 or Bronco with portal axles lol. Makes the Chevy guy in me freak out. But for some reason it doesn't bug me on the other bodies.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Default Which Crawler

Quote:
wow I should have been looking at prices on AMain instead of the Traxxas site. $415 to $485 depending on which flavor I like (raw kit + unpainted sport body is lowest, K5 complete is highest). I am having trouble wrapping my head around a K5 or Bronco with portal axles lol. Makes the Chevy guy in me freak out. But for some reason it doesn't bug me on the other bodies.

I agree. If a 1:1 Bronco or Blazer or even a D110 had a portals I’d throw up in my mouth lmao. But on a truck body that’s not based on any truck, it works.

But hey, it’s an RC so it doesn’t bother me having portals underneath my 79 Bronco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'd just do a builder's kit (10.2, Traxxas, TK) and slap my unopened 67 Axial C10 body on it but for being so excited to get one of those I'm just not thrilled with it anymore. The one on my 10.1 is so disproportionate - I have 1.9 Boggers with 12mm spacers and a little less than half the tire pokes out of the body. The frame and shocks are a mile inside the fender wells, it is way too wide. It is also too long for a 12.3 wheelbase, it is more like a 12.5 ish. Have not heard much mention of that in the forum but I would warn anyone wanting to put one of those on a 1:10 frame.

At one point my big idea was to do a 10.2 builder's kit and narrow the C10 body (not just nose/tail, but literally cut the whole thing in half, section it, cut the grill, glue it all back together) but then I started thinking about the windshields and that it would need a cage...and I got a headache and quit thinking about it.

Last edited by Phildirt; 11-09-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Some mud and big tires and "Uber scale is not a huge deal".
You don't need a pretty body that looks like a certain truck and you don't need fenders to get mud and dirt stuck under.

You talk about doing some bashing, but not much. You want straight axles, maybe or maybe not portals. You like crawling but not to technical.

Wraith 2.2 or Capra.

Last edited by MOguy; 11-10-2020 at 08:20 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

What about a Wendigo kit? It has 2.2s & looks much more like a truck than the Gatekeeper & you'd have much more body options. It's a solid platform with a very durable drivetrain & axles.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
What about a Wendigo kit? It has 2.2s & looks much more like a truck than the Gatekeeper & you'd have much more body options. It's a solid platform with a very durable drivetrain & axles.
Funny you say that - I was looking at OS's Wendigo thread this morning and thinking that may be on the list. Looks like he's having fun with it.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Some mud and big tires and "Uber scale is not a huge deal".
You don't need a pretty body that looks like a certain truck and you don't need fenders to get mud and dirt stuck under.

You talk about doing some bashing, but not much. You want straight axles, maybe or maybe not portals. You like crawling but not to technical.

Wraith 2.2 or Capra.

I like it! Direct and to the point...I guess the only thing that hung me up about the wraith platform is it is dated but if it still works that shouldn't matter right? Was hoping we'd see some news about an updated AR45 straight axle soon. Those AR60s are just so darn wide. I haven't found anything to dislike about the Capra yet - and for some odd reason I am attracted to the fact that it has driver in the interior. Seeing a buggy bounce along without one just looks funny to me lol. But I know that is easily remedied in the other rigs. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #16
RCC Addict

The more I look at the Capra the more I like it. Agreed on all points, and the portals work in that application as far as "scale" since it's not based on a production vehicle. Looks like there is decent aftermarket support and room to fiddle with it (make my own body panels, swap out wheels/shocks etc). I like that it is 4 link versus the trailing arm setup on the Gatekeeper. The only negative I have seen so far digging through comparisons is that it is more crawler than trail rig and not as stable on dirt at any speed. Not sure if that is a deal breaker, will dig into it some more. I've already seen comments that the Gatekeeper is a 'better all around rig' which is what I'm looking for but the approach angles and shock length seem to leave less than desired.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I like it! Direct and to the point...I guess the only thing that hung me up about the wraith platform is it is dated but if it still works that shouldn't matter right? Was hoping we'd see some news about an updated AR45 straight axle soon. Those AR60s are just so darn wide. I haven't found anything to dislike about the Capra yet - and for some odd reason I am attracted to the fact that it has driver in the interior. Seeing a buggy bounce along without one just looks funny to me lol. But I know that is easily remedied in the other rigs. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was really hoping the GateKeeper would have been the updated "Wraith" but it turned about to be just an Enduro with a couple different parts.

The Wraith 2.2 is big so when you said bashing and not a technical crawler it made me think instantly of my Wraith 2.2.

If you want less of the bashing, more of the scale and a more of the technical crawler get the TRX4, non sport, and change the body.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The more I look at the Capra the more I like it. Agreed on all points, and the portals work in that application as far as "scale" since it's not based on a production vehicle. Looks like there is decent aftermarket support and room to fiddle with it (make my own body panels, swap out wheels/shocks etc). I like that it is 4 link versus the trailing arm setup on the Gatekeeper. The only negative I have seen so far digging through comparisons is that it is more crawler than trail rig and not as stable on dirt at any speed. Not sure if that is a deal breaker, will dig into it some more. I've already seen comments that the Gatekeeper is a 'better all around rig' which is what I'm looking for but the approach angles and shock length seem to leave less than desired.
I have seen the Capra in competitions and on the trail. It is not more of a crawler, but it is great on the trail.
If the shocks are not stable more preload or get stiffer springs, see if there are mounts or keys to lower the ride height and or shorter shocks.

On my 2.2 I run shorter tighter shocks up front and because of the torques twist allot of preload on the rear right shock. The Gatekeeper will also have torques twist because of it low pinion axles. With the portals in the Capra torque twist shouldn't be an issue.

I have a Mamba X and Holmes Hobbie 3800KHV motor in my Wraith 2.2 and it is a lot of fun.

Last edited by MOguy; 11-10-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #19
RCC Addict

The more I'm reading, and thinking about my needs, I think I just need to buy a rig and go with it...not like it's going to be my last or I need to be so damn picky since I don't even know exactly what I like. Something that holds back a seasoned pro I probably wouldn't even notice beyond "hey, this one is bouncy, that one isn't" lol.

I will say as I've worked through this I am definitely going with a caged crawler/basher/racer type setup, I think it will be a little more exciting than a scaler with a fancy paint job. I have tried super scale crawling and it is neat for Iphone pics but not so much in the adrenaline factor.

I'm looking at the Wraith Spawn kit and thinking I'd replace the body with panels a la OG wraith. There are some pretty neat options out there or I could fab my own, I'm no stranger to working with sheet aluminum.

If I go that route I guess my only consideration is RTR vs kit. I don't mind buying a motor/servo/ESC but really didn't want to drop coin on a new transmitter/receiver since I just bought one for my SCX10. Maybe I get the RTR and swap out my Tactic to the new rig...that's a thought.

Then the whole brushed vs brushless research starts. I'm not into breaking things so my gut says brushed 3s would be plenty for me, but spend a little more on a decent motor although I've been very pleased with my HH motor in the SCX10.

Thanks for all of the advice, believe it or not this has helped me narrow down my options.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The more I'm reading, and thinking about my needs, I think I just need to buy a rig and go with it...not like it's going to be my last or I need to be so damn picky since I don't even know exactly what I like. Something that holds back a seasoned pro I probably wouldn't even notice beyond "hey, this one is bouncy, that one isn't" lol.

I will say as I've worked through this I am definitely going with a caged crawler/basher/racer type setup, I think it will be a little more exciting than a scaler with a fancy paint job. I have tried super scale crawling and it is neat for Iphone pics but not so much in the adrenaline factor.

I'm looking at the Wraith Spawn kit and thinking I'd replace the body with panels a la OG wraith. There are some pretty neat options out there or I could fab my own, I'm no stranger to working with sheet aluminum.

If I go that route I guess my only consideration is RTR vs kit. I don't mind buying a motor/servo/ESC but really didn't want to drop coin on a new transmitter/receiver since I just bought one for my SCX10. Maybe I get the RTR and swap out my Tactic to the new rig...that's a thought.

Then the whole brushed vs brushless research starts. I'm not into breaking things so my gut says brushed 3s would be plenty for me, but spend a little more on a decent motor although I've been very pleased with my HH motor in the SCX10.

Thanks for all of the advice, believe it or not this has helped me narrow down my options.
You already have a crawler.

Go brushed and don't go cheap. You have said basher a few times and now racer so you know you want to go fast. A good brushless motor and ESC, even if it is a fast one, will be able to crawl OK. A faster brushed or cheaper brushless won't.

What controller did you get with your SCX10. Many controllers can be setup to operate more than one RC.

Which Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Micro Crawler Crawler-X SMC Plus Chassis Plus A Ton Of Stuff See Video stomper4x4.com Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 05-14-2012 01:31 AM
Difference in AX10, Night Crawler, and Comp Crawler final gear ratios? shelljeep Newbie General 11 02-05-2010 12:48 AM