Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Crawler to scaler - ladder frame vs take-off?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2020, 07:21 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Crawler to scaler - ladder frame vs take-off?

I have a Redcat Everest 16 (1/16th scale) that I would like to turn into a scaler. I have seen some builds where 1/10th scale ladder frame is used. It fits because the Everest 16 is more like 1/12th scale. The ladder frame from China is about $35 but I have also seen take-off frames all over Ebay from anything from Everest 10, TRX4, you name it for about $25-40. Would a take-off frame be any better than the ladder frame?

Disclaimer: Yes, I know that it would be easier and cheaper just to sell the Everest 16 and buy a budget scaler but that's not the point. I need something to do during this pandemic.
drabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Crawler to scaler - ladder frame vs take-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
I have a Redcat Everest 16 (1/16th scale) that I would like to turn into a scaler. I have seen some builds where 1/10th scale ladder frame is used. It fits because the Everest 16 is more like 1/12th scale. The ladder frame from China is about $35 but I have also seen take-off frames all over Ebay from anything from Everest 10, TRX4, you name it for about $25-40. Would a take-off frame be any better than the ladder frame?

Disclaimer: Yes, I know that it would be easier and cheaper just to sell the Everest 16 and buy a budget scaler but that's not the point. I need something to do during this pandemic.
You should be able to pick up a frame for much less. I have purchased a couple of sets of sxc10ii frame rails (no name or "Injora", etc) for $5-$10 Canadian each on ebay.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i made my frame out of a plastic cutting board but just about any frame would do look for a exc barrage or rgt frames there the right size but a scx10 should work to with some cutting
this is a realy nice size to work with "12th scale" there cheap and there are alot of body options i call mine old faithfull cause its always charged and never breaks i have a radio shack toyota truck hard body on mine the 1500mah battery last all day on one charge
and for having tiny tires it keeps up with the big boys just fine
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yep just look up chassis with the word "slider" on eBay like "scx10 slider" or "barrage slider" and you can find some good stuff usually with links too.
I had a short ascender running a jconcepts monster truck body, kinda narrow but almost perfectly 1:12 scale and looked great with 1.55 under it.

Cool project! I hope you find what you need and post pics soon!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks. I was looking at the frame rails but complete frame will have shock mounts, crossbars and more. Will check Ebay for some sliders and other frames you have mentioned.
drabina is offline   Reply With Quote

Crawler to scaler - ladder frame vs take-off? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fungi's Micro Ladder Frame Kit Fungi Chassis and Suspension 10 02-15-2020 10:33 AM
Ladder frame build muddeprived Tools, and Procedures 7 04-06-2007 09:39 PM