Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Next Crawler Trx4 Bronco vs Axial Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #1

Default Next Crawler Trx4 Bronco vs Axial Capra

So eventually i will buy both

that being said i own a trx4 sport and my son is now into crawling (we are making a decent sized course on our property) I like both vehicles but am trying to plan my next purchase

pros of trx4 : shares parts with sport and my son and i can share bodies and other stuff and we can trail and crawl in the state park behind our home.. looks amazingly like a real truck and making scale mods are fun

pros of capra: my son thinks it looks cool and we could make more complicated obstacles for it to climb than our stock(ish) trx4 sport ..not sure of its trail and crawl abilities .. with the right upgrades like motor and esc servo its a great performer

cons of trx4: i own a sport already.. its a little top heavy unless you spend money to offset with brass etc (have a bowhouse low cg battery tray already) servo and horn need to be replaced and probably eventually need s motor esc (considering 1800kv fusion setup) i dont bash just rail and crawl so slow speed control is more important ( ihave a rustler 4x4 brushless and 6s kraton for bashing)

cons of the capra: different brand i dont know anything about axial parts or working on them .. im hearing the dig and regular servo die easily .. not many bodies available and not very scale realistic looking

so like i said i will end up buying both but not sure which to buy first... flip a coin??
N4SIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Next Crawler Trx4 Bronco vs Axial Capra

I have a TRX4 Bronco. I’ve never had an Axial vehicle. That being said, I personally would choose TRX4 over the Capra for multiple reasons. I don’t really care for that style, I’m more scale looks. The Bronco is great for scale needs lol. I think it just comes down to which you think you’ll have more fun with now, since you do plan on getting the other one later down the road.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Honestly they’re not even in the same category. I’ve owned both, still own a stock Capra and a Capra built lcg truck. The Capra will out perform the trx out of the box all day long. The Capra is limited on battery size due to the compartment and it’s not the easiest to work on. But it’s really just a matter of picking what you want right now, which I would say the Bronco because you have the sport so you and your kid can drive similar lines n styles.
But you won’t be disappointed with the Capra and who knows later on you can end up turning it into a scale truck on a lcg chassis. And fwiw I scabbed a stampede body on my Capra before I tore it apart to give it a more “scale” look mounted it on magnets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That looks really good Fricker! That changes my mind on the Capra lol.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:30 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

That body looks great on the Capra! Other than mounting on magnets and trimming the body properly, did you have to mod anything on the Capra?

Do you have a link to that body? There are millions of Stampede bodies out there!

(Currently finishing up a Capra kit build.)
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
That body looks great on the Capra! Other than mounting on magnets and trimming the body properly, did you have to mod anything on the Capra?

Do you have a link to that body? There are millions of Stampede bodies out there!

(Currently finishing up a Capra kit build.)
Looks like the Proline 3412-00
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The number phildirt listed is correct. I didn’t have to modify the Capra at all. Just did a whole lot of trimming on the body. I would have left the windows in it, had they been clear. But I got the body from someone else already painted and they’d blacked out the windows. The back end is a tad short but it really didn’t rub too bad. There’s some action shots and hopefully you can see where I put the magnets in the last pic.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I have a dedicated crawler and a TRX-4. The crawler is a Power Racing Komodo Rocker, about 10+ years old. This was a mid range competition crawler at the time. It has crazy flex. The TRX-4 if the assembled kit and I added the sport body. That way I get the lockers and the 2-speed trans. I upgraded the tires (Pro-line Hyrax predictor compound) and wheels (Injora Bead locks).

In the end the TRX-4 is faster, has a better turning radius, and climbs better. The dedicated crawler only helps in places that require extreme articulation or approach/departure angles. It also looks very graceful articulating over the rough stuff.

This should help as well.
https://youtu.be/C3MRJ9v75-U

I went with the TRX-4 on this build because of the flexibility of the platform.
itr1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Looks like the Proline 3412-00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
The number phildirt listed is correct. I didn’t have to modify the Capra at all. Just did a whole lot of trimming on the body. I would have left the windows in it, had they been clear. But I got the body from someone else already painted and they’d blacked out the windows. The back end is a tad short but it really didn’t rub too bad. There’s some action shots and hopefully you can see where I put the magnets in the last pic.
Thanks to the both of you I now have yet another project on my list!!!! I hate you!

That is awesome that you can get a scale body like that on a Capra without much fiddling around. And the body doesn't cost a gazillion dollars to boot! Loving the fact that you can still keep the drivers and the kit light bar.

Would these magnets work for the mounting?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/xtra-sp...-59801/p961497
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Yea those would work for sure. I got some off eBay and used double sided tape

Old 01-03-2021, 03:38 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I like that body and it’s cool to see someone not stressing out over wheelbase/fender arches...looks like a real project buggy. Good job
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I like that body and it’s cool to see someone not stressing out over wheelbase/fender arches...looks like a real project buggy. Good job

Thanks, sometimes it pays to have junk... I mean stuff laying around lol
I think I’ve seen a couple creep bodies on some Capra’s and they look good too

Next Crawler Trx4 Bronco vs Axial Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capra+Bronco Body= Bronco Truggy FoxHatfield Axial Capra 7 01-27-2020 06:16 AM
Backyard Crawler course update and TRX4 Bronco video JMHZ2401 Videos! 0 07-07-2019 08:25 PM