Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SSD Trail King and Vanquish VS4-10 comparison help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2021, 03:24 AM   #1

Default SSD Trail King and Vanquish VS4-10 comparison help

Hi everyone,

Apologies for another "help me choose" thread but after some researching, I still have some questions unanswered around the differences between the two rigs and would be grateful to get some help/opinions if anyone has first hand experience with the trucks.

I've been lurking on the forum for a while looking at SCX24 stuff which I got my kid a while back. Unexpectly, I got a little hooked on RC crawlers now and so looking to get a 1:10 myself. I do some light off roading with a 1:1 Defender myself but haven't really had time to work on it for quite some time. RC Crawlers seems to really fill that void given it's much quicker and easier to work with than a 1:1! i.e. engine/tranny/chassis swaps in hours rather than days and in the comfort of central heating...

What I wanted is a 1:10 mainly for casual non-comp rig for 50:50 Trail:Crawling, so a bit of everything. I am only interested in a scale-ish build that resembles an actual truck, so ruling out crazy looking LCG builds but I do want to get some good crawling performance out of it, a more hardcore rock crawler machine which would be too much for a 1:1 rig. (Thinking FJ45 truggy).

My shortlist is now down to SSD Trail King and VS4-10 after eliminating TRX4, SCX10 1-3, Element Enduro etc since I really want something that is top-ish quality. For me, these two also have the added bonus of being mainly UK/US manufactured and not China (I should clarify that I refrain from Chinese goods for ethical/human rights reasons rather than quality).

Anyway, from what I can gather, these are the main differences:

Axle - VS4 has one piece cnc alu axles whereas the TK has 3 piece plastic Pro44 axles. There are SSD CNC alu tubes and metal pumkin covers available but that's an additional cost. Whilst I don't doubt the performance of the plastic, I do like the quality look and feel of metal, so VS4 wins this one for me. On internals, I believe they are both 6 bolts hardened steel and so would you say it's more like a tie?

Gear box - VFD seems to have the engine sitting lower and there is more metal bracing in the tranny structure whilst the SSD is plastic with metal engine mount/bearings? I thnk VS4 has the edge on this one but would like to know your opinion of the two gearboxes and also if the engine position is much different in terms of height.

Chassis flex - both designs are steel c channels with plastic cross members but it looks like VS4 has much more plastic cross members and is more rigid than the TK? Is that true?

Chassis CG - both seems to be a lower cg design but again, hard to tell from the internet. Would you say one has lower cg than the other?

Weight - Given the use of plastic and Ti bits, it appears SSD is going for a more lightweight setup vs a heavier VS4 setup. Would that be fair to say?

Body and wheels - SSD doesn't have them but I originally wanted to build a FJ40/FJ45, so not having a body is actually a plus. The VS4 body is too nice to be chucked away.

Cost - SSD is a lot cheaper, so for the difference, I can get the metal axles tubes with quite a bit of spare change!

Much appreciated if I can get some opinions on the above as well as if actually should be bothered by any of these points!

Thanks
fumiyasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2021, 06:07 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SSD Trail King and Vanquish VS4-10 comparison help

Welcome to RCC!

I own both of these chassis (VS4-10 Pro) and they are both very nice and are fun to drive and build. Quality of both is overall top!

The TK is more of an modified and very well upgraded SCX2 while the VS4-10 is more unique.

Motor position is low on both chassis, but the VS4-10 sits even lower. Regarding motor options - the VS is fixed for 540 motors while the TK can handle 550 cans too, if you use motor spacers to clear the link mount on the axle.
The spacer actually raises the motor a bit, but not by much as far as I can tell.

I like both gearboxes. They are really nice pieces. TK is a bit more scale, VFD is just a really cool gearbox. Great engineering!

The VS chassis is more rigid out of box. But of course you could improve the TK chassis in this regard. I didn't and it drives fine.

The VS has wheels and tires, but I wish they would have just reduced the price. I don't like the wheels and I don't like the tires.. soo.. wasted for me.
And thinking about buying the Ultra, it hurts a bit to have 2 set of wheels and tires which I will never use. I would love to see an Pro a Ultra chassis kit without body, tires and wheels.

Axles, well. SSD Axles are top! I have them on all my SCX2 and use them on a VS4 chassis kit with element RC gearbox I am building right now. Very good price and top quality. Steering angle is huge. BUT the VP cnc machined Pro axles are an piece of art <3 They are just a different league.

Shocks. I don't like the VP shocks. I may need to rebuild them, but the premounted shocks out of box leak. I tried green slime, did not help.
I run TRX4 shocks with some mods and the perform much, much better.
SSD shocks are fine.

You can't go wrong with any of these rigs.

Last edited by GrimmTheTourist; 10-12-2021 at 06:09 AM.
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:31 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Both the SSD and the Vanquish trucks are both top quality. You really can't go wrong with either. I have the SSD and it's been great. Very good lightweight performer without sacrificing durability. With the Vanquish you certainly pay for all the metal bits, but that doesn't necessarily make it the better performer.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:39 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply.

Good to hear your opinion on the axle and trans. I plan on a HH puller pro 540, so don't need the 550 flexibility but I guess it's always good to have. On motor location, how much lower is the VS4? Is it actually something I would likely notice?

I do get that feeling on the wheels and body as well, such a waste if I just don't use them. For the SSD, I can get some nice metal bead locks (thinking SSD rugged silver) and tires in the price difference.

Did read about the shocks as well but wasn't sure if it was a QC thing or not.

I am really close to clicking the button on the SSD.

Only thing holding me up is if I should wait for Black Friday!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2021, 06:49 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumiyasu View Post
Good to hear your opinion on the axle and trans. I plan on a HH puller pro 540, so don't need the 550 flexibility but I guess it's always good to have. On motor location, how much lower is the VS4? Is it actually something I would likely notice?
I would say cog and balance is better on the VS. But I also run a heavier body on the TK (Axial Cherokee with Honcho cage).
I have the knuckle weights installed on the TK and it climbs good enough for me.

How much is the TK? I payed around 350$ which is already an amazing price considered what you get. Last price I saw on amain was 320.-.
If 30-40$ difference doesn't bother you much, I would not wait.
If you are unlucky you will have to wait ages when the Kit is out of stock again.

I have the rugged wheels on my SCX2 D90. These are some sexy wheels!
Old 10-12-2021, 07:05 AM   #6

It's still 319 on amain and I just placed the order!

It's actually a bit annoying as whilst I have a shop just down the road that does SSD and the fact that SSD is based in the UK, the amain price with shipping and duties is still a bit cheaper (enough to get me a set of wheels..). Otherwise I could have just pick up a kit on the way to pick up my kid this evening.

Also, they only have one pair of rugged in stock... So I have it on back order

Thinking about tires now, looking at proline g8 compound. I have BFGs on my 1:1 and like the look on RC. Is the BFG krawlers were any good? I see tsl swampers seems to be the norm?

Old 10-12-2021, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Both the SSD and the Vanquish trucks are both top quality. You really can't go wrong with either. I have the SSD and it's been great. Very good lightweight performer without sacrificing durability. With the Vanquish you certainly pay for all the metal bits, but that doesn't necessarily make it the better performer.
Yeah, I gathered there is a bling factor priced in just for looking nice.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:25 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Some prices in Europe are way over the $. I also bought the VS Pro over amain and it was about 150$ cheaper.
Ordering from rcmart.com and atees.com is also a good option. I don't even pay duties importing to Switzerland from them.

Tires are a whole different topic again. Depending on what you expect to do with them and which terrain you drive on, differences in performance varies a lot.
With the proline g8 krawlers, you certainly have a good tire. But expect to buy others anyway.. If I look at my stack of tires (and rigs and parts in general) after 5-6 years in this hobby I should question my sanity.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:36 AM   #9

I do usually try to support local shops but sometimes the price difference is too much!

Will probably just try those out, I am a BFG fanboy anyway so worth it for the looks alone. I guess I would probably end up with more for different terrain like you said. At least they are easier to store and handle than the 1:1s I have in the garage!

Old 10-12-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Just building an SSD TK now. Just got done with the axles - got injora heavy brass knuckles to add and they fit great, and the SSD overdrive gears for the front.

Seems like a really nice kit - I've built two Ascenders, a TRX4, and a Axial Bomber. The SSD is very straightforward and solid. I had a HH Crawlmaster Pro 16T on hand, got a SHV500 from him and very excited about the HV high-power servo, and had a HW1080 on hand. Picked up a SR310 used off ebay for $45 to go with my DX5C. Everything came together, it's ready to go.

The VP was not in my realm cost-wise. It was down to an element chassis or a SSD for me. The options availability with the SCX10 compatible chassis, and the scale motor and trans, is what put me over on the SSD.

Also got mine from Amain. RPP has them too, same price. And there are several ebay sellers.

There must be a MAP from SSD cuz nobody sells them for less.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Talking Re: SSD Trail King and Vanquish VS4-10 comparison help

while I don't own a vs-10 yet... will probably be the next rig... believe me!!! you will have one too if you have locked eyes on one. I do own a TK along with other kits in the market... It is a great performer and a very fun rig to drive specially after reading what you are after (scale crawler). Everything about it will have you entertained for days, and the fact that is so versatile and has all the bobs and bits that you need and want ... scale engine and transmission, fully upgraded metal driveline, great looking axles and suspension geometry. I doubtfully think you have any regrets on the TK.

and look forward to inform us when you get the vs-10-4.... I am sure you will go for the pro version as well based on your post.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I do usually try to support local shops but sometimes the price difference is too much!

Will probably just try those out, I am a BFG fanboy anyway so worth it for the looks alone. I guess I would probably end up with more for different terrain like you said. At least they are easier to store and handle than the 1:1s I have in the garage!

You wont be disapointed by the BFG Krawlers...

I built my Trail King, based on what I saw frequently in the PNW. I ran Tsl's for a long time, and their overall performance is wonderful, Good everywhere, but other tires will beat them in one area. I now have the big Krawlers and am impressed out on the rocks...

SInce a thread is worthless without pictures...

lonleycreeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #13

Hey Browneye,

What body are you putting on out of interest? Just seen your fj40 trx4, looks great, I wish they make a single cab version in lexan.

Need to have a think about overdrive too but I think I will try it out without first.

Speedy,

I think you are right, I can see it coming later on especially now that the international scout body is somewhat growing on me. Defo the pro as I am not a big fan of portals.

Lonley,

Looking great, is tht a killer LC70 hardbody?

Old 10-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you have ordered yourself some great components, I just wanted to add that the MST J45C body would be an excellent choice for a body since you mentioned building a Toyota J45 truggy.

Looking forward to seeing what you build up, either way!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Sounds like you have ordered yourself some great components, I just wanted to add that the MST J45C body would be an excellent choice for a body since you mentioned building a Toyota J45 truggy.

Looking forward to seeing what you build up, either way!
Oh thanks, that's a really good shout. I didn't even know there is a ready-made option. Will have a look into that tonight.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Very nice body indeed. But it is not a direct fit.
I bought this body for the TK, but the battery tray is more or less, where the cab ends.
It is doable, for sure. But I decided otherwise. The body is still laying around and waiting for a chassis.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmTheTourist View Post
Very nice body indeed. But it is not a direct fit.
I bought this body for the TK, but the battery tray is more or less, where the cab ends.
It is doable, for sure. But I decided otherwise. The body is still laying around and waiting for a chassis.
Oh interesting. Do you see it more feasible to move the battery to the side and remove the battery tray or cutting the body to fit the battery?

Old 10-12-2021, 01:36 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Lonley,

Looking great, is that a killer LC70 hardbody?

Fumi, it is a old Tamiya Hilux body...The Rc4wd Mojave is almost the exact same thing, except the grill... I didn't have room to run the grill due to the servo being in the way.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #19

Oh yeah, don't know how I got tht wrong!

Are the shock towers poking out the bonnet as well?

Old 10-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Oh yeah, don't know how I got tht wrong!

Are the shock towers poking out the bonnet as well?

Not quite, I used body posts through the hood, and you are just seeing the clips. The shock towers are nearly touching the bottom of the hood and the posts are slammed down as low as they go. My build thread...A Trail King for Trailing

And the section for the infamous trail King...Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech - SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit at RCCrawler.com

SSD Trail King and Vanquish VS4-10 comparison help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Trail King - Trail Run - 1/10/2021 soze Scale Videos! 1 09-20-2021 06:43 PM
VS4-10 Scout Half Cab for Trail King. FIT? z381472 SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 1 07-21-2021 07:29 AM
My Take on the SSD Trail King neilus SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 48 03-24-2020 03:09 PM
Vanquish VS4-10 Pro vs SSD RC Trail King Pro Panther6834 General Scale Talk 23 11-30-2019 10:51 PM
SSD Trail King Toothless9 General Crawlers 2 09-03-2019 05:57 PM