Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: in the planning stages of an LCG build... AXLES?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2022, 05:46 PM   #1

Default in the planning stages of an LCG build... AXLES?

Getting ready to build an LCG, SOA build, looking at the Corrupt Carbon Works Readper V2 Titanium chassis, pairing it with the Amazon alloy dig tranny

Really like capra axles, but holy smokes they are not cheap

What about these Chinese Alloy Capra style axles?

I have a freshy rebuilt set of Redcat Portals

Considering Wendigo Axles

Last edited by ericfx1984; 03-14-2022 at 12:44 PM.
ericfx1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2022, 06:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: in the planning stages of an LCG build... AXLES?

Only Chinese knockoff brand I trust at all is KYX, and I'll still only use their rear's. I've been abusing this KYX 10.3 rear for a few months... swapping it into my reaper right now. Just make sure you upgrade to high quality internal parts as they fail. The kyx stub shafts will bend for no reason. Housings are solid... heavy, though.
Attached Images

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Same spot Im at but I know what axles.
Im building around the SSD Diamonds. May portal them, or just one. thinking the front..

The rest is currently up in the air for me. lol'
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:50 PM   #4

I built my G-speed up with AX10 axles lol.

Hear me out, can overdrive the front and underdrive the rear, get a heap of steering angle from them and these things are like 10 years old and never broke.... you can still get parts. Sometimes simple works.
brash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I got an alloy set directly from integy $150ish they are compatible with Capra parts. swapped out the junk ring and pinions and they've been running great. Spent an extra 12 bucks and got stock capra housing to lighten up the rear. portal gears/bearings all fit fine.
wheelspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have China Capra axles on my 6x6, they were 50$ each and you can tell why

clearly is mostly pot metal, fair bit of play everywhere (better once shimmed), no bearings at the end of the front axles tubes and doesnt even fit a stock scx10 shaft

On the plus side, i've yet to break anything on them on a 13lbs rig (3S brushed).
Might upgrade later but I wasnt paying 3x180 to build axles from axial spare parts...
ColdFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 03:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFox View Post
I have China Capra axles on my 6x6, they were 50$ each and you can tell why

clearly is mostly pot metal, fair bit of play everywhere (better once shimmed), no bearings at the end of the front axles tubes and doesnt even fit a stock scx10 shaft

On the plus side, i've yet to break anything on them on a 13lbs rig (3S brushed).
Might upgrade later but I wasnt paying 3x180 to build axles from axial spare parts...

Happen to try an Axial diff gear/pinion? Bearing/gear tolerance would be my biggest worry about Chinese axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfx1984 View Post
Getting ready to build an LCG, SOA build, looking at the Corrupt Carbon Works Readper V2 Titanium chassis, pairing it with the Amazon alloy dig tranny

Really like capra axles, but holy smokes they are not cheap

What about these Chinese Alloy Capra style axles?

I have a freshy rebuilt set of Redcat Portals

Considering Wendigo Axles
If you are going to mount your FMM there on that chassis like Dred805 has you motor will sit low. You will probably need an axle that is offset and a transmission to match. Not sure what motor mount you are using.

I just built a Reaper 2 with a TGH FMM and AR44s with pumpkin in the center and even using a little snub nose Revolver my motor would have hit the drive shaft unless I really limited my up ward travel. Not sure if it will be the same for other FMMs. I ended up mounting my TGH FMM almost half an inch higher. But did a servo on axle 4 link setup to keep the servo weight low.

Having high clearance links (top and bottom) will also help you clear things. You may have to turn the links sideways to get things to clear. I also mounted my upper links out side the chassis for more room.

Last edited by MOguy; 03-28-2022 at 09:52 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:27 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

So my question is...

do portals kind of defeat the purpose of building an LCG crawler. IF the goal is to lower the center of gravity, it seems that portal axles are kind of counter productive.
Maxx_Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:15 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_Action View Post
So my question is...

do portals kind of defeat the purpose of building an LCG crawler. IF the goal is to lower the center of gravity, it seems that portal axles are kind of counter productive.
Nope!!! You can gain it if you build for it.

Your portal axle is still an axle so it is unsprung weight so it really isn't like have weight other places. The added clearance allows you to run smaller tires with more clearance and lowering your overall CG.

Delux makes a trans that is under 2 ounces for portal axles. Drive line gear reduction in the portal hubs so you can get away with less reduction in your trans so it can be smaller and lighter. Even the stock TRX trans sits lower than most other trans.

If you are going with the Reaper 2 it seems more designed for FMM. I just built one for my C2 with straight axles, It is not a chassis I would use for portals. I really don't think the shock hops sit high enough. The HiLo from Brazin would be a better choice or a portal build. I just ordered a Chassis from JeepKid RC for my C3 that seems ideal for a portal build. Both those chassis are designed with the trans mount closer to your front axle for a motor mounted to the trans. The Reaper gives more room for your FMM.

Last edited by MOguy; 03-31-2022 at 08:37 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

in the planning stages of an LCG build... AXLES? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning next build Screwfly General Crawlers 4 11-04-2019 12:41 PM
Planning to build a 6 x 6 iFrog Multi Axle Rigs 5 06-19-2014 09:08 PM
Planning my new TF2 build... iFrog RC4WD Trail Finder 2 1 03-27-2014 10:38 PM
my planning stages for a scaled scx-10 RootBreaker Axial SCX-10 6 07-19-2011 11:19 AM