Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Sport Kit vs Element Enduro Kit 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2022, 09:07 AM   #1

Default TRX-4 Sport Kit vs Element Enduro Kit 2

I’ve had the RTR trailrunner, and the TRX4 Sport RTR. I liked both, but having a hard deciding between these two for a completely new kit. Whichever kit I choose, it’ll be setup with 3s 5000mah, 1080 HW esc, HH crawlmaster 550 13T, Reefs 422 v2 WP.

I’m leaning toward the Element this time only because I can choose a different body other than the generic sport body. The straight axles without portals is also nice. However, the traxxas is more reliable and cheaper?

1. What bodies have no problem fitting the element enduro kit?
2. Does the element enduro have more plastic and is fragile than the traxxas? I’ve heard of plastic gears and plastic ball joints in the element kit.
3. Is the torque twist that big an issue with the element kit?
4. Any other things I should look out for in the element kit?
5. The traxxas has 32p vs the 48p gears in the element, is that important for reliability?
6. Could I fit the 3s 5000mah in the element kit no problem? Currently using that battery for my TRx4 trx6 setups.
7. Does the element kit prefer 1.9 or 2.2 tires?

Last edited by KingRaptor; 03-11-2022 at 09:14 AM.
KingRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2022, 09:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TRX-4 Sport Kit vs Element Enduro Kit 2

For a crawler, 32p will definitely be better than 48p. You could always convey the Enduro to 32p (check Amain for the conversion). As for "only the Sport body will fit the Sport, I'm 99% certain that's not true. Traxxas makes several bodies (some "pre-painted", such as the Tactical Unit body) specific to the TRX4 chassis. Additionally, to I would assume that almost any 313mm should fit the Sport...plus, of you get the 324mm conversion package, I'd assume almost any 324mm body would fit. On top of that, Traxxas has the "Long Arm Kit", with comes with longer shocks, links, and center driveshafts, allowing people to 'lift' their TRX4 (for taller tires).

If you're looking for a 'trail' and/or 'bashing' crawler, I'd go with the TRX4 kit(which I'm also about to get, to build with (and then give to) my stepdad)...and, if you're more interested in something that has a "competitive edge", then go for the Enduro. And, if you want something even more " competitive", get the Element Enduro Gatekeeper Kit (which includes a number of 'upgrades' over the Enduro V2 kit), body mounts, and body of your choice.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the help. Looks like TRX4 for me. However, you said enduro can give competitive edge? In what way? Because it’s lighter and has front overdrive?
Old 03-11-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

After recently piecing together a TRX4 kit (non sport version though), I enjoyed assembling the Element kit (GK) more.

I'd say get the Gatekeeper kit as well since it is a bargain at the sale price over the basic Enduro kit. It still comes with the rear 4 links if you don't want to run the trailing arms. You just need a set of the Enduro shock mounts to utilize body mounting posts in the rear and also if you want to run the shocks in the normal position for 4 link.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:56 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRaptor View Post
Thanks for the help. Looks like TRX4 for me. However, you said enduro can give competitive edge? In what way? Because it’s lighter and has front overdrive?
First, I wouldn't consider my GK as "competitive"...but, among other reasons, it's partly because I installed the IFS Kit. Anyway, the Enduro chassis is lighter, has a lower CoG, greater articulation, user-setable (is that a 'real' word? lol) OD, greater number of tuning options...and, I'm certain (which others already owning an Enduro can chime-in on), other advantages that give me or can give, it a competitive edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
I'd say get the Gatekeeper kit as well since it is a bargain at the sale price over the basic Enduro kit. It still comes with the rear 4 links if you don't want to run the trailing arms.
Your GK Kit came with rear-lower links? Interesting...because neither mine, or 3 other people I know who bought the GK Kit, contained rear-lower links.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 03-11-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #6

I'm looking at the gatekeeper kit now, you guys got me interested in it. Looks good, but it doesn't have a waterproof receiver box?? I see the receiver exposed on the frame in the pics.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:13 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Your GK Kit came with rear-lower links? Interesting...because neither mine, or 3 other people I know who bought the GK Kit, contained rear-lower links.

There were spare links left over so I just assumed those were it. No spare links for you guys? I'm pretty certain mine was a factory sealed kit.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:56 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
There were spare links left over so I just assumed those were it. No spare links for you guys? I'm pretty certain mine was a factory sealed kit.
Mine was factory sealed. I don't remember there being any "spare" links...though, there are now (because I'm installed the IFS Kit.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm looking at the gatekeeper kit now, you guys got me interested in it. Looks good, but it doesn't have a waterproof receiver box?? I see the receiver exposed on the frame in the pics.
The Gatekeeper kit has a fuel cell (should you decide to use that). The v2 kit has a normal receiver box.

I'd still get the Gatekeeper kit for the GKS suspension parts, sway bar, panhard and gold shocks.

You can easily grab another receiver box and 3M it on the slider or rear shock tower brace.

My vote is for the Enduro for its simplicity and ease of reconfiguring into a plethora of different setups with Element's own variations as well as aftermarket.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:56 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I've built two GK kits, no links left over for me. It's a great kit, but it's not as beefy out of the box as a TRX-4 Sport.

You can run whatever body you want on a TRX-4. The stock rails will do three different wheelbases. I've got TRX-4s of various trims running Defender, JConcepts K10 pickup, and Creep bodies.

I can't think of a crawler offhand that can't run whatever body is appropriate to the wheelbase.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:20 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I'm gonna dig in the spare bag when I get the chance to make sure my eyes saw spare links lol.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

My Gatekeeper kit also did not have spare links.

I grabbed a waterproof Receiver box and cut up the larger battery tray. The gatekeeper has to run the smaller tray up front. Used 3m tape and taped the box to the cut up battery tray.

Gatekeeper does have a 32p Spur gear from Robinson Racing.

I like my Gatekeeper a lot. Im glad I bought it. the rear suspension is different so some things are easier, some are a little more challenging/different to accomplish. Thats what makes it fun for me.

If you dont like or want the cage body the Ecto is the same thing with a lexan shell but it does not come in kit form currently
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Sorry everyone, I thought I had spare links with my kit when I assembled it. I have my GK parts in one ziplock bag and I think I tricked myself since I swapped the chrome links for the Factory Team ones.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:17 PM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

I am a big fan of the Element Enduro's. I own many brands and my Enduro is my favorite goto rig. I'm in the process of building a GK Kit as we speak, and from what I see so far, this is going to be a great rig. @Goro, no spare links in my kit either!

I'd say if you want an all around beater rig that will take a beating and keep on rockin', then the TRX-4 is your rig. My TRX-4 Sport has taken a beating and has yet to break a part. It even went on a 3-day all-day G6 event at Beat The Creek in Kentucky and survived and it wanted more!

But my vote is for the Element brand for performance and simplicity. Right now it's hard to beat the Gatekeeper Builders Kit. For the money and features it is well worth it.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:04 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

If going with the GK, an excellent used for a waterproof receiver box is the Traxxas 3628. Sad you can see, below, I attached one to the rear shock tower's cross-brace...I used two M3x14mm buttonhead screws, through the bottom of the Rx box, and screwed tight through the lower two holes on the cross-brace. Then, I "made sure the screws wouldn't go anywhere" by adding two M3 Nylock nuts. Once the interior (Lexan) is installed, the top of the Rx box will perfectly sit approx 10mm below. Additionally, the front of the Rx box is approx 5mm from the spur gear cover.

Old 03-12-2022, 06:17 AM   #16
Go Buckeyes!

Agree with Panther. ^^^^

I've used the same receiver box in many of rigs. I does great at keeping dirt and water out.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:54 PM   #17

Thanks for the help! I have the Gatekeeper on the way with the Traxxas receiver box and a 3s shorty lipo! I'm excited to receive. I've had every TRX4, and my main rig is a TRX6, I sold my element trailrunner but miss it dearly. The element had the smoothest drivetrain and was very impressive even with it's small 4runner scale tires and IFS.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:20 AM   #18
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Thanks for the help! I have the Gatekeeper on the way with the Traxxas receiver box and a 3s shorty lipo!
Congrats! Great choice!

The GK is a solid rig. Looking forward to seeing it when you get it!

I am currently in the process of building the Gatekeeper Builders Kit. Check it out here if you have any questions: B-MOW's Element GK-Ecto-Knightrunner Build
Old 03-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I've had both Enduro and the TRX. The TRX for the far more durable and capable out of the box but the element is more maneuverable. Both were great rtrs, neither one of them is bad choice.

I've built them into other things now. The only thing I'm using from the Enduro is the dual Servo mount. The only thing I'm using for the trx4 are the axles and the transmission.

My issue with the Enduro was the low pinion axles and torque twist and the big heavy overweight transmission. Once I put ar44s underneath the Enduro it really changed outperform and it became a great performer. The trx4 may have had the advantage climbing. And of course the portals had better ground clarence. But the enduro with the ar44s was more maneuverable so it's easy to pick and stay on your line.

Last edited by MOguy; 03-23-2022 at 02:25 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:35 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I've had both Enduro and the TRX force. The TRX for the far more durable and capable out of the box but the element is more maneuverable.

I've built them into other things now. The only thing I'm using from the Enduro is the dual Servo mount. The only thing I'm using for the trx4 are the axles and the transmission.

My issue with the Enduro was the opinion axles and torque twist. Once I put ar44s underneath the Enduro it really changed outperform and it became a great performer. The trx4 may have had the advantage climbing in the endura with the ar44s but that was probably about it. And of course the portals had better ground clarence. But the endura with the ar44s was more maneuverable so it's easy to pick and stay on your line.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-4 Sport Kit vs Element Enduro Kit 2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WWYD: Traxxas TRX-4 Chassis Kit or Sport Kit? theace18 Newbie General 19 05-27-2020 08:47 AM
Help me compare SCX10 iii kit vs TRX-4 sport kit Veteran Axial SCX10 III 9 04-02-2020 03:55 PM
Element enduro kit Supermotovinny Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 2 12-28-2019 01:48 PM
TRX4 Sport kit or TRX 4 Crawler kit Question redpeppers Newbie General 13 09-15-2019 06:00 PM