Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Custom fab / how to thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2022, 01:35 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Custom fab / how to thread?

I got to thinking, why isn’t there a custom how to specific thread? Be it styrene to bodywork to metalworking, a one stop shop for information deal? Custom fab stuff tutorials? Good idea or delete this post?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2022, 01:49 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Custom fab / how to thread?

scalebuildersguild.com/forums
Goos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I get SBG, I was thinking here at RCC.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Agreed. I'd like to see this idea come to life on here... rather than simply sending people to another forum when this one needs as much help and participation as it can get. I do understand that scale builders guild is a great resource but again.. generating some new ideas/ sub-sections/ life into this forum would be nice. I like this place, the folks here, and the original modifying and fabricating that still to this day, is being posted here on RCC. I'm up for contributing... despite that I'm not really in the same class as many of these fabricating gurus here lol.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:30 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Agreed. I'd like to see this idea come to life on here... rather than simply sending people to another forum when this one needs as much help and participation as it can get. I do understand that scale builders guild is a great resource but again.. generating some new ideas/ sub-sections/ life into this forum would be nice. I like this place, the folks here, and the original modifying and fabricating that still to this day, is being posted here on RCC. I'm up for contributing... despite that I'm not really in the same class as many of these fabricating gurus here lol.

I definitely am for having a custom fab how to area! I love the idea of us making our own parts and would like to learn new techniques, not to mention like what hpd said about bringing this place some new life and even new members hopefully. It’s a great little community and I am all for any improvements here.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:51 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Great idea,

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk
BP6666VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:22 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

I vote yes! We need a thread like that here on RCC.

Great idea MAC FAB!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Maybe a "Miracles of Bondo" thread too... started by SLN.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:54 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

There are quite a bit of stickies in each section that cover the basics. Get to readin' !
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

isent that what this forum is about already
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

That may be true, however, I would rather have a resource where I don't have to navigate through a bunch of stuff to hopefully find out something on the task I am wanting to perform. I would shoot for the low hanging fruit and look elsewhere. Just my personal opinion here, I haven't gone through all the stickies so perhaps I'm commenting out of ignorance. Take Race-dezert for instance in the 1:1 world, they did it well in my book, easy to navigate imho on the fab topics.

Implementation is probably a whole new set of wheels to re-invent as well....... Just saw ferps response, so yes, we have body and paint, electronics, wheels/tires and tools off the top of my head. I want to make some sort of large scale styrene or aluminum pieces, where do I look and not spend hours looking to hopefully find out something. Not trying to make waves, just makes good sense to me.

Last edited by MAC FAB; 09-13-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:06 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Indeed, MACFAB.

I absolutely understand where ferp420 and Szczerba are coming from and I think it serves as a reminder that stickies exist for a reason and contain relevant and valuable info to be utilized.

But RCC has a lot of newer members and with where this place is at, any additional sections/ topics should imo be encouraged... even if it's re-hashing some existing content. It's not as if this forum is just overflowing with so many new posts nor regurgitated content anyway. So given the fact that it's a discussion board with new ideas, members, technology, vehicles, manufactured parts, etc... I don't think it hurts this place one bit to add to the already existing content. Hell, if admin cared two shits about this place, they would streamline and correct things that are SUPER simple to fix... like when a new product comes out and there's multiple threads about it. All you have to do is come in and merge the threads so that it's all consolidated into one thread.. not hard to do and it takes literally a few minutes but nope.. Admin doesn't care to do it or to put more mods on board to handle these rudimentary tasks... shame. I digress but essentially I'm saying that I think that almost any ideas that potentially generate traffic is a good thing.

This probably isn't here or there regarding the scope of this thread but I truly hate that admin killed the "like" feature as well. Sometimes I go into a thread where someone has really done a fantastic job innovating, creating, fabricating, modifying, etc... and there's little to no feedback from anybody. I'm as guilty as anyone for not commenting on threads that I'm following so I'm not criticizing any active members. But it sucks because this is STILL a community of like-minded hobbyists no matter how active or not... and it does absolutely nothing to encourage people to post about their projects if they eventually feel as if no one is interested in what they're doing. It's a discussion board... not a gallery and there needs to be involvement, participation, and discussion. It's the backbone of this place. That lack of participation along with disabling the "like" function ( which kind of equates to: "Is anyone even reading my thread?") has done nothing to help this place thrive. I feel like anytime that someone posts literally anything, it's a positive thing for the very existence of this forum.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
I got to thinking, why isn’t there a custom how to specific thread? Be it styrene to bodywork to metalworking, a one stop shop for information deal? Custom fab stuff tutorials? Good idea or delete this post?
Add me to the list of supporters, great idea!
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:42 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
....I want to make some sort of large scale styrene or aluminum pieces, where do I look and not spend hours looking to hopefully find out something.
Haven't seen a good styrene build in a while, 3D printing has pretty much taken over. Not that those builds aren't cool, but I do miss the old days of fabbing everything by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
This probably isn't here or there regarding the scope of this thread but I truly hate that admin killed the "like" feature as well. Sometimes I go into a thread where someone has really done a fantastic job innovating, creating, fabricating, modifying, etc... and there's little to no feedback from anybody. I'm as guilty as anyone for not commenting on threads that I'm following so I'm not criticizing any active members. But it sucks because this is STILL a community of like-minded hobbyists no matter how active or not... and it does absolutely nothing to encourage people to post about their projects if they eventually feel as if no one is interested in what they're doing. It's a discussion board... not a gallery and there needs to be involvement, participation, and discussion. It's the backbone of this place. That lack of participation along with disabling the "like" function ( which kind of equates to: "Is anyone even reading my thread?") has done nothing to help this place thrive. I feel like anytime that someone posts literally anything, it's a positive thing for the very existence of this forum.
"LIKE" - I agree 100% with every word above. Personally, I haven't posted a build on here in ages. I'm still building all kinds of stuff, just not posting anymore. I'm no Shane Szcerba build wizard (Your Artic CR01 will rise again, I promise!) but I've got 8 pages of threads I've contributed over the past 11 years.... Seems like there was not much interest in anything anymore, so why bother? This is what is killing forums, and it frankly sucks. I love talking about RC with intelligent, knowledgeable people - it's been a passion of mine for 30+ years now, and FB just doesn't cut it. I only visit 2 sites a day anymore, and neither is particularly active (including here). I used to visit 5-6 a day, it took me an hour to get through new stuff. Now it takes 30 seconds.

Speaking of, where are all the old school guys? Haven't seen a Szcerba build in forever. Whatever happened to Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude? War_Pig? I could go on... lots of old heads seem to have completely disappeared. Even some of the newer guys are quiet - Where's Topher (aka Pants Danza) and his 300 or so trucks? What about industry guys like John Holmes and Rich Trujillo? It's been super quiet in here lately.

Last edited by OSRC; 09-13-2022 at 07:56 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Custom fab / how to thread? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ULTRA CUSTOM FAB chassis Wheels7 Chassis and Suspension 41 10-16-2022 06:58 PM
Ultra Custom Fab Chassis Mr Hyde Axial Wraith 25 03-14-2014 08:56 AM
custom fab shop........ bob1961 General Crawlers 0 10-12-2010 09:16 AM
euro hotrod? custom fab E30 M3 ......V10..... insane fab STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 20 08-13-2009 10:05 AM
Custom Fab needed please. Tonsa General Crawlers 7 01-04-2006 09:26 PM