Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: FMS 1:10 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 RS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2023, 09:49 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default FMS 1:10 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 RS

Just placed an order for one this morning. It will be my first FMS vehicle, but as a Toyota fanboy I couldn't resist after seeing the impressive amount of detail they put into the body.

Couple takeaways after watching some reviews: Seems like a well put together vehicle, however I wish it was leaf-sprung, and really wish it was a kit. Glad its not another micro.

https://www.fmshobby.com/products/fm...45674585260310

Also with all the FMS vehicles coming out these days, could this forum support a section for them as a brand? It seems there is a lack of where to post vehicles that come from any overseas manufacturers like FMS, CrossRC, King Kong RC, etc...

Last edited by 701 Technique; 08-16-2023 at 10:00 AM.
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2023, 10:29 AM   #2

Default Re: FMS 1:10 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 RS

I agree , this is a very good looking vehicle, blue or yellow.
Burky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:44 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've seen the videos and is very tempting as I already had my eyes on an FJ40 (the RC4WD cruiser) I really wonder how do these 2 compare ... I already have the Not-a-Jeep Mashigan which is essentially the same chassis. Not that I don't like it but in all honestly it can be better... although the price is really nice for the detail you get. the drivetrain is ok but the electronics are not great. specially if you have other vehicles and get use to nice electronics that have better modulation or stronger servo. I really like to get some feedback from someone comparing this one and the cruiser body which is what I'm after and wait for this body to be available separately.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
I've seen the videos and is very tempting as I already had my eyes on an FJ40 (the RC4WD cruiser) I really wonder how do these 2 compare ... I already have the Not-a-Jeep Mashigan which is essentially the same chassis. Not that I don't like it but in all honestly it can be better... although the price is really nice for the detail you get. the drivetrain is ok but the electronics are not great. specially if you have other vehicles and get use to nice electronics that have better modulation or stronger servo. I really like to get some feedback from someone comparing this one and the cruiser body which is what I'm after and wait for this body to be available separately.
I agree that it can be better. However it is a great price for a RTR. I am pretty sure this is the only RTR "crawler" I have ever purchased. Would have been really nice to have the opportunity to build it myself, and not have to tear out brand new electronics.

I have an old Aoshima FJ40 body still on the shelf. I can compare to that, but as I understand it they differ from the RC4WD FJ40.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
...Couple takeaways after watching some reviews: Seems like a well put together vehicle, however I wish it was leaf-sprung, and really wish it was a kit.

Also with all the FMS vehicles coming out these days, could this forum support a section for them as a brand? It seems there is a lack of where to post vehicles that come from any overseas manufacturers like FMS, CrossRC, King Kong RC, etc...

Agreed on these points, the leaf springs and kit would be awesome, hardbody looks great!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Leafsprings are an optional part. When I pick mine up, I will most likely remove the top and doors. It will be a good addition to the Jimny and Willys. Wish I didn't miss out in the Mashigan, lol.

Last edited by Gula; 08-18-2023 at 07:17 PM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Leafsprings are an optional part. When I pick mine up, I will most likely remove the top and doors. It will be a good addition to the Jimny and Willys. Wish I didn't miss out in the Mashigan, lol.
I received mine right away and tore it a part without ever driving it

So far I plan to swap out electronics, install the mashigan leaf spring kits I have on order, and also delete the roof rack with some tamiya putty and paint.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:49 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I drove my jimny for the first time at proline by the fire the thing was a blast to drive it was so predictable it was scary it acted just like I expected it would at just about every obstacle
Before I drove it I did the knuckles and servo horn
The fj40s look awesome I would love to pick one up but I'll have to wait till they have been out for a while and find one on the cheap
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 12:21 AM   #9

I got mine last weekend.
I took it out on the trail (± 2 hrs) in stock form.

It was fun but sometimes very frustrating.
  • The car is relatively slow, a little bit faster than a good walking pass.
  • The modulation of the speed is very poor. Low speed control is absent, it is standing still or going just too fast which is especially difficult on a descent. Combined with a heavy chassis and poor damping, this results in a waddling ship that is uncontrollable in difficult conditions.
    So the ESC has got to go.
  • There is/was oil in the shocks - has (partly) run out. They’re friction shocks, nothing more.
  • The transmitter doesn't seem bad, a little light, but does its thing.
  • Near the end of the trail, the screw had fallen out of the servohorn, not te be found.
  • The battery compartment is very narrow and there is no battery-strap provided.

Things that will be adressed:
  • Change the ESC (or step over to a fusion)
  • Change suspension (other shocks or leaf springs)
  • Add inner fenders (RC Voodoo has some)

Tip: Crawler Canyon has made a few videos on the FMS Atlas 1/10.
Besides the body, very much of the hardware is shared.
Highly recommended : https://www.youtube.com/@CrawlerCanyon
Omsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i had issues with screws not being tight or falling out to not that big of a deal
i used greese in my shocks and there working fine like that i fill them about a 1/4 a way and they dampen fine
i do that with all my cheap shocks i got tired of dealling with shock oil and got used to driving my rigs like that
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 08:21 AM   #11

The shocks aren't my biggest concern at the moment.
The ESC however ....

I'll try using grease in the shocks in the future.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:21 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Are the shocks sticky? I remember the MB willys having that issue with its shocks. Refill with 30wt I think was the fix. Maybe even sand the pistons iirc.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 02:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Are the shocks sticky? I remember the MB willys having that issue with its shocks. Refill with 30wt I think was the fix. Maybe even sand the pistons iirc.
No, they are not sticky.
From what I've read, the pistons are not adeqautly designed to damp the movement + the shocks leak.

FMS 1:10 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 RS - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 - TRX4 Browneye Traxxas TRX-4 17 04-21-2020 12:49 AM
Basic Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40: Beginner's Build eddievedder 1.9 Scale Rigs 41 02-12-2020 08:28 AM
OHO's RC4WD Gelande II Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Oh How Original 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 09-03-2015 10:28 AM