Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: shock suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default shock suggestions

I know search search search. I did but didn't find much of what I as looking for so here ya go

Looking at getting some new shocks for my scx10 jeep wrangler.
I am not looking to spend a hundred bucks or I would buy the new king piggyback shocks. those are badass!!

I am looking at 50 and under. I don't think the stockers are awful performance wise. although you can't keep oil in them and they look cheap. look for something that performs as well or better and looks better.

was wondering anyones thoughts or feedback on performance on a few different models.

THANKS GUYS!!

first gmade zero 104mm ( kinda leaning towards these in black. look decent and functional)
Gmade ZERO Shock Black 104mm (4)

next gmade ts02 (not sure if I want to lose 10mm of suspension with these over axial 100m stockers)
TS02 Scale Shock Silver 90mm (4)

gmade ts01 90mm
TS01 Scale Shock Silver 90mm (4)

gmade xd piggyback 103mm ( a little concerned if the piggyback reservoir would with my proline undertray.
Gmade XD Piggyback Shock 103mm (2)

Top cad 102 mm
Miscellaneous All Aluminum Shocks Set for Rock Crawler and Truck (4) 102mm TopCad 80117

Last edited by discgolferlee; 12-18-2012 at 12:06 PM.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: shock suggestions

well the g-made zeros look pretty good they give you ability to adjust preload with the shock body but if you want the true scale look then the g-made ts02's are a great looking scale shock......it all depends on what you want.
scorpion_ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_ax View Post
well the g-made zeros look pretty good they give you ability to adjust preload with the shock body but if you want the true scale look then the g-made ts02's are a great looking scale shock......it all depends on what you want.
any feedback on how the ts02s perform anyone???
Old 12-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Jang has a Gmade build video where he talks about how horrible the TS01s are to work on. I love the look of the Gmade Zero shocks, but can not find any reviews of them.
Bigdrewbowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I think you should get the piggybacks, then test them and do a write up on them. Well what ever you decide you should do a write up so others know a little more about them. I just think the piggys look cool and not alot of people have them.
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I think the piggybacks look cool too. just look a little large in scale terms and not sure if they will fit my truck with the proline undertray I am running.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
SuperShafty.com

i have the TS02's. got them from a buddy.but anyway. they would be great for a trail truck. but since they are a grease bushing shock with a spring no the inside they wouldnt be the best for a scale comp. they are also heavy, only ahve about 3/4" of travel.

plus side. they look awesome.

i would go for the first ones you listed. of the resivior ones.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've a set of the longest G-made zero's on my AX-10. They are alright. Difficult to find O-rings or replacement shafts. 2 of mine slowly seep out. I have to top them off about twice a year, not bad really, but not perfect like they should be. The shock shafts are easily knicked/scratched. This alone makes me not reccomend them for an all terrain truck, but they are still OK for a strictly rock crawler.

Also a bummer, in my particular setup, is that the upper part of the shock body isn't threaded. Of course, this is where I wanted my preload to be.

IMO all the RC3wd shocks are blingtastic, and bring the suck as far as dampening and retaining fluid.

I vote for the reservoir equipped G-mades, just cause I want to see more feed back on them.

I'm running Traxxas GTR shocks on my SCX. They were E-bay take-off's from an E-revo. I run 10 weight Associated oil in them and have "kustom" upper mounts to lay them down for more travel and less effective spring rate and dampening. I needed to use the "yellow" .7 rated Jato springs to get the spring rate where I wanted it.

The shocks were less than $20 and the springs were about $15. Not bad for aluminum threaded bodies, pivot ball mounts at both ends, 3.5mm Ti-nitride coated shafts, and large diameter pistons.

I've managed to scratch one shaft up in almost two years now, and they do a remarkable job retaining oil despite much water and mud usage.

The GTR shocks without the stock blue Traxxas bumpstop have as much stroke as the stock SCX shocks do with half of the stock axial bumpstop still on them. They are very stiffly valved and sprung for heavy monster trucks, so they won't work very well in the stock locations, although they do barely fit there. Once layed down they feel perfect, and you gain total travel even though the GTR shock is a little shorter.

meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

shock suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shock suggestions magman Axial XR10 9 04-28-2011 09:29 PM
looking for shock suggestions rockrigcustoms 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 12-20-2010 07:19 PM
Shock Suggestions... Greatscott Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 1 02-25-2010 07:42 PM
Shock suggestions HiloDB1 General Crawlers 8 05-21-2009 09:31 PM
Shock suggestions.. 801FuNk801 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 04-30-2009 11:16 PM