Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: How do I water proof my Nylint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #1

Question How do I water proof my Nylint?

Hey I'm just now starting to modify my Nylint 1/6. I'm going to do the tummy tuck and move my suspension for more flex. But it just wouldn't be me if i couldn't drive it through water and mud. I know how to do the circut boards but how do I do the engines without it over heating?

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Last edited by Crazy Frog; 04-05-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: didn't have the size of truck.
Crazy Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Frog View Post
Hey I'm just now starting to modify my Nylint. I'm going to do the tummy tuck and move my suspension for more flex. But it just wouldn't be me if i couldn't drive it through water and mud. I know how to do the circut boards but how do I do the engines without it over heating?

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

I've always just put ductape over my vents on the axles while I went mudding/water crossing.
Never had a overheating problem, and you can remove it when running dry.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #3

Default Thanks

Ok. Sounds like a good idea. i was thinking silicone but that doesn't come off that easy. doesn't water get through where the axel comes out of the housing?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

does that really work "ducttape"
blubbersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Ok. Sounds like a good idea. i was thinking silicone but that doesn't come off that easy. doesn't water get through where the axel comes out of the housing?
Never had a problem with it, and I've been in some deep mud/water. There's pic's somewhere on this forum of it, can't remember where, if I find them I'll post a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubbersnap View Post
does that really work "ducttape"
I just used the Gorilla Brand ducttape and it worked just fine.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How do I water proof my Nylint?
throw it in a swimming pool, let it sit there for a few days. take it out and i bet water will never again have a negative effect on it.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

that would be an awesome picture of a nylint up to its doors in mud i did some mudding and i made good sure that i was not too close to the vent on the bottom of the front axel i also took off the skidplates and front and back bumper
blubbersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #8

Yea those would be awesome pics. Im kinda woried about ducktape though. But oh well its worth a try. I think im going to try putting the moters in some cut tupper ware and seeling it with silicone. then making a snorkel to the top of the rolecage so it can let all the hot air out and breath. Ill try to put pics up when im done working on my nylint. may not be to pritty lol
Old 04-07-2007, 02:49 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default ...

i just drove mine into water screw water proofing the axles just kee your electronics dry.. although mine never was water proofed and i still got it wet and it worked just fine...
but if it dont work then its too wet let it dry and try it again
adawg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Yea those would be awesome pics. Im kinda woried about ducktape though. But oh well its worth a try. I think im going to try putting the moters in some cut tupper ware and seeling it with silicone. then making a snorkel to the top of the rolecage so it can let all the hot air out and breath. Ill try to put pics up when im done working on my nylint. may not be to pritty lol

Whats to worry about with the ducttape? Just use a good brand and it will stick just fine. You can also remove it when running on dry ground to reduce the heat to the motors. On a 1:1 truck, a snorkle is used for the engine to breath, not cool. Thats what the radiator is for. If you seal your motors in tupperwear, their going to get mighty hot, a snorkle won't really allow enough cool are in, or heat out, it's going to be more for looks then anything.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #11

Yea it would be pritty cool looking. but i think i may still try it. if screw sumtin up i just go buy what ever it is needed.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
RCC Addict

It's tricky to water-proof a nylint because the motors are IN the axle. Going in water above the hubs will sure have your motor gasping for air. I dunked mine in a creek, upside down, and it floated down stream for about 10 feet until i grabbed it. Tires were turned tight to the left and it didn't work. I let it dry out for a few days and it ran like new. It still runs 1 and 1/2 years later

One thing you can do to lessen the risk is outboard the rear axle motor and if you got time, outboard the front motor. This puts the motor outside, on top of the axle instead of inside down low. If you lock your nylint in low gear, you can remove the gear motor and that'll enable you to crawl in water/mud up to the motors on top of the axles. That's about 4-5" of water depth. I have my rear motor outboarded and both gear motors removed so i can dip the rear axle completely under water up to the motor and the front nearly to the top of the tire with no risk.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Lightbulb water schmater

if these motors are anything like the hobby grade motors, water shouldn't bother them. Although, mud is a different story altogether. Mud has dirt that can get in the motor and ruin it. The only problem with water that you'll be encountering is with regards to the circuit boards and switches that might be in the axles. I haven't had my open for a while, so I don't remember if there are any small boards in there, but I do remember seeing a switch or two.
celsiusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsiusprime View Post
if these motors are anything like the hobby grade motors, water shouldn't bother them. Although, mud is a different story altogether. Mud has dirt that can get in the motor and ruin it. The only problem with water that you'll be encountering is with regards to the circuit boards and switches that might be in the axles. I haven't had my open for a while, so I don't remember if there are any small boards in there, but I do remember seeing a switch or two.

As far as i know, the motors in mine don't like water.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

What is everybody's fascination with going through water anyways? These trucks are meant to crawl up rocks, not wade through a stream. Perhaps a boat would be more appropriate for the water. Just maybe.:-?
celsiusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsiusprime View Post
What is everybody's fascination with going through water anyways? These trucks are meant to crawl up rocks, not wade through a stream. Perhaps a boat would be more appropriate for the water. Just maybe.:-?
Not all of us are natural born rockcrawlers. I myself prefer trail riding than strictly rock crawling and trails have water/mud. For some of us guys, approaching a mud hole is like approaching a beautiful woman, you can't resist it!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #17

ive mudded mine, so deep that the belt will slip, it just clears out and keeps on going and going and going, deep caly like mud too,
BC1:6 Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
Whats to worry about with the ducttape? Just use a good brand and it will stick just fine. You can also remove it when running on dry ground to reduce the heat to the motors. On a 1:1 truck, a snorkle is used for the engine to breath, not cool. Thats what the radiator is for. If you seal your motors in tupperwear, their going to get mighty hot, a snorkle won't really allow enough cool are in, or heat out, it's going to be more for looks then anything.

not unless he stays in high gear and points the top of the snorkel facing forward. He'll get a "slight" ram air effect.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #19