Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Filling Shocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 02:28 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Filling Shocks?

Ok well i popped the tops off of 2 my wk shocks so now i need to put new oil in. I added ae 15wt oil to them and now they seem to be stiff and bind until i move them in and out a lot, that seems to free them up.

Any suggestions as to how to fill them differently to get the binding to go away. When i filled them i moved them up and down until i didnt see any more bubbles, then i screwed the caps on.
pbfrk4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you're filling them too full.
Usually there's a rubber "bubble" in the cap, this is an expansion chamber. If you fill the shock too full, you'll compress this bubble as you tighten the cap (you can compress air, but not fluid - laws of physics) then there's no room for expansion left. The fluid will not be able to move through the piston and it locks the shock up.
Conversely, if you don't add enough fluid, there will be too much air. It will emulsify as it flows back and forth through the piston, and turn the oil to foam. If the shaft feels "notchy" through it's travel, or you hear any "squelching" type noises, you've got too much air inside the body.
Shocks w/ no piggy-back are finicky about the oil level...

Last edited by Big Mike; 04-11-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfrk4life View Post
Ok well i popped the tops off of 2 my wk shocks so now i need to put new oil in. I added ae 15wt oil to them and now they seem to be stiff and bind until i move them in and out a lot, that seems to free them up.

Any suggestions as to how to fill them differently to get the binding to go away. When i filled them i moved them up and down until i didnt see any more bubbles, then i screwed the caps on.

when I fill mine I top it off, then move the piston up and down a few times slowly to get rid of air. after that I pull the piston half way out put the cap on loose and push it all the way up, this should expell excess oil that would otherwise do damge to your seals. with the piston up tighten the cap until the seal is just touching the body then turn 1/2 to 3/4 turns finger tight. do not crank it down. now you should have a perfect working shock. I do this the same to all my shocks and never had a problem. I change my oil every week regardless of how much it was used. it may not need it but I am anal about things.

Last edited by lohocla; 04-11-2007 at 07:55 AM.
lohocla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Sorry to break in here and ask this, but you change your oil every week? Does the oil in the pistons break down fast?
RCCrawlerTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I have never tuned shocks before, they are messy and better ignored, but I think i'm going to have to get comfortable withthe idea. so a heavier weight will help reduce the torque lean?
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
I'm a stupid C U N T!

shock oil
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sorry to break in here and ask this, but you change your oil every week?
I sort of raised an eyebrow as well. Sort of overkill IMO, but if you feel like doing it...well, you'll always have fresh oil! Myself, I change shock oil for one reason - to change weights. If I'm happy with the weight oil I'm running, it's liable to stay in there indefinitely. I just make sure there is no air inside to emulsify the oil and it won't break down in the low-impact low-speed world of crawling. (But I should admit I'm no "veteran" - I've only been crawling for 6-7 months - before that I played around w/ 1:10th electric buggies and carpet cars, I never changed shock oil in those either. Never suffered any kind of degredation of performance)

My knowledge of chemistry is a little limited, but it seems to me that it would take quite a long time for either petroleum or silicone based shock oils to suffer any kind of viscosity breakdown. In a crawler, anyway. You might change your shock oil every weekend if you're racing nitro stadium trucks or something.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCrawlerTT View Post
Sorry to break in here and ask this, but you change your oil every week? Does the oil in the pistons break down fast?
yeah every week, im just anal I guess. also when I raced stadium petro in berwick I would be changing oil after every heat because of rapid wear so I just do the same maintenace routines that I could bring over with me to my electric trucks. same with when I raced mx. I would do a ful srevice after every heat, drain all fluids including fuel mix and replace with new including air filters I would jsut throw away and put in new one. these reasons I think is why Im so anal about things
lohocla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

if it's not broke don't fix it thats worked for me
CRAWLIN 4 FUN is offline   Reply With Quote