Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: GOLIATH build up...sort of

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default GOLIATH build up...sort of

A while back there was the debate that there should be a specific goliath forum and it was said that "if the goliath is so great why havent I seen a build up". So I needed to do some work to mine and decided to post up the pics....
1st pic is installing some fuel line tubeing to limit flex, in stock form you get way too much flex and the chassis and tires tend to bind.

2nd pic. Cut the radio area to make way for a GD600

3rd Pic GD600 installed, motor has a 13 tooth and the output of the GD600 is an rc4wd 5mm 14 tooth.

End result is a ton of low speed torque and no more bind. As for the axle situation. make sure the gear case mesh is good and everything is realy tight and I dont see a problem. Ive seen these gears survive a MM 7500 brushless in a tc3 and they can take that power Im not scared.....

This weekend will come the testing pics.
Attached Images

jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

i really want one now.

looking good!
ian48065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Nice man! (I actually did my diffs in, but it was "driver error")
Nlee111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

My only suggestion would be to fab up some sort of support for the motor. With it hanging that far off the motor plate, the plate is most likely gonna flex a bit and goof up the mesh. Mine did anyway. Actually, a quick and dirty method (which is how all my modification go) is to use a couple zipties and run them through the gearbox, around the motor plate and around the two battery posts. Then just pull 'em snug. It doesn't take much tension to keep the motor plate in line.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

how much articulation do you get out of that? could you post some flex shots? i would be forever great-full lol
Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have it limited to about 65-70 degrees before I worked on it it was closer to 100-110 degree...only thing that limited it was the chassis hitting the tires. If the weather holds I will post up some crawling pics on Sunday or Manday including flex shots.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

looks similar to my gd-600 setup.. i used it for awhile.. and the motor started to pull from the gears.. so i just whipped out the handy zip tie and wrapped it around the chassis below the motor.. it is the perfect support for the motor and it hasn't slipped yet.. i beat on it pretty good over the weekend
joeshacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

any update shots?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

sorry,the weather was crap this weekend and couldnt take it out to the course. I might take it out tonight if I have a charged pack depends what time I get home. I am still having trouble with the one cant/shock
Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Jetboat where are you mounting your battery pack? Also how many cells are most people using. I am using a 6 cell that I rearanged so it can sit on the front axle. If I do the gd600 and get my motor more forward will that be too much w2eight upfront? Thank you for your help
franeich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I am running a 2s Lipo pack in the normal battery area, the only modification I had to make was adding a piece of Cf as a floor to the battery area. I think with any crawler you should have as much weight forward as you can get. Mine is now Balanced so well I can go 90* approch without rolling. (of course it wont climb that much but it wont tip and gives you a chance to save it)