Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Hobby grade electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #1

Question Hobby grade electronics

I'm planning on replacing the stock motherboard and servo motors with some hobby grade stuff, but I have some questions first.

The battery is rated as a 14.4V, so does this mean that an EVX-style speed control is needed? Just wondering if anyone has tried dropping in a super rooster or something similar with only a single 7.2v stick pack yet.

I'd like to know if it works well or not before I buy a new esc.

...and to think that a month ago I had an EVX. Ha. I would've kept it if I knew I would find a Nylint on the side of the road!

-thanks!
Sixstring88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixstring88 View Post
I'm planning on replacing the stock motherboard and servo motors with some hobby grade stuff, but I have some questions first.

The battery is rated as a 14.4V, so does this mean that an EVX-style speed control is needed? Just wondering if anyone has tried dropping in a super rooster or something similar with only a single 7.2v stick pack yet.

I'd like to know if it works well or not before I buy a new esc.

...and to think that a month ago I had an EVX. Ha. I would've kept it if I knew I would find a Nylint on the side of the road!

-thanks!
I think you are better off ditching those nylint axles (if you weren't planning to) and go tlt/clod/wk axles.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #3

I was wondering the same thing with the electronics, my sons 1/6 died after only 1 battery and I believe its the main board. I have a ton of spare hg electronics and was thinking about installing one of my older tekin speed controlers. I guess I will just have to give it a shot and see what happens??
sotwstd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I was wondering the same about hg electronics in a 1/6. I have the hgs in a 1/18 but want to know about switching the 1/6 over too. If it is too much work I will just use my electronics for my scale build.
talonted1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

well there are 2 main wires going to each axle, which are the motor wires. the steering would obviously be servo so all you would need is a mounting point. it could probely run of a 7.2 batt. it's late so maybe im missing somthing but i dont really see a problem. i would do this but i don't have any esc's layin around that i can mess with.
joehein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehein View Post
well there are 2 main wires going to each axle, which are the motor wires. the steering would obviously be servo so all you would need is a mounting point. it could probely run of a 7.2 batt. it's late so maybe im missing somthing but i dont really see a problem. i would do this but i don't have any esc's layin around that i can mess with.
Yeah, but what about the shifting servo? I guess I could lock it in low but I am unsure about how to do that on the 1/6. I dont want to get into the axle and not be able to use them at all because I glue the wrong parts. The more I think about it the less I want to work on the 1/6.
talonted1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

to lock in low i used hot glue on the peice that shifts back and forth. real easy and easier to take off if you mess up. that way you don't need the shift motor, or buttons. if i wanted to i could cut that peice out and make the axle alot smaller.
joehein is offline   Reply With Quote