Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What is your Descending Technique?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What is your Descending Technique?

Got an XL-5 Stampede before a Wheely King and tried climbing with it. The XL-5 esc has a lot of braking and uses a double pump reverse. The braking is very good for descending.

Now I'm climbing with a stretched Wheely King and it's esc doesn't have braking, or at least I can't find it. Worse, when you try to add a bit of reverse there is a delay of variable length so I give it more reverse and then the ?delay? times out and the WK is hit with so much reverse power that it flips forward and takes off down the hillside tumbling. Trigger displacement for reverse seems to be inconsistient too. Grrrrrrr.

How do you get a controlled descent?

What kind of esc do you like?

I might install the Stampede RX and esc in the WK tomorrow and try that.
MikeSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i like the novak xrs, but thinkin of tryin a moped
mxer611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
MODERHATER™

The Mamba Max is the best ESC out there period. It has a drag brake so you can have controlled decents, plus it has tons of other features. Get one and you will never look back.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
The Mamba Max is the best ESC out there period. It has a drag brake so you can have controlled decents, plus it has tons of other features. Get one and you will never look back.
What he said!^^^^^^^^^
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

adjust yur throttle trim.
RockRacer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSSS View Post
How do you get a controlled descent?

What kind of esc do you like?

I might install the Stampede RX and esc in the WK tomorrow and try that.

I let go of the trigger when I descend, and let the Mamba Max take care of the rest.

SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:53 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

My EVX puts a fair bit of braking into the 35's in my Clod.. Rather amazing braking, actually.. Not enuff to stop and engage reverse on a 60-70* incline, but enuff to keep me goin' nice n slow down...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:01 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i let go of the trigger and let the dragbrake handle it. brushless is the only way to go.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:19 AM   #9
MWRCA'er

I drag brake it too, when the rear lifts up I give it gas.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:25 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I slowly roll over edge, and keep it going slow, I use one pump to slide down, and if it turns into hell I double pump it into reverse, slick rock so it doesnt flip it spins a lil!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:06 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViolentOne View Post
My EVX puts a fair bit of braking into the 35's in my Clod.. Rather amazing braking, actually.. Not enuff to stop and engage reverse on a 60-70* incline, but enuff to keep me goin' nice n slow down...
Hey man, i am about to install my evx. i was a bit worried about braking because my buddy's emaxx tends to roll when on an incline (not roll-over). I thought i wasn't gonna have any braking on hills but looks like it does have some braking.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:30 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Integy 65T lathe, an Mtroniks RV15, and stock TLT hump-packs (7.2 1700mah)

I get decent braking out of this setup (for what it is) if it's trimmed properly.

If I am descending a steep grade (and have the time) I'll dial a little more reverse into the trim to help stay in control.

It's still a brushed motor though, if it gets rolling downhill it's hard to get it to stop it again.

One of these days a Mamba Maxx will somehow find it's way onto my rig...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
Hey man, i am about to install my evx. i was a bit worried about braking because my buddy's emaxx tends to roll when on an incline (not roll-over). I thought i wasn't gonna have any braking on hills but looks like it does have some braking.
With stock motors, the braking was kinda soft, but was there... The 35's have a fair bit more grab than the 27's do, but wven with 27's, the EVX has some good brakes on it... Haven't had the rear end lift on me yet... But I haven't gone down more than a 70* incline under full brake yet...

Most of my descents are either rather long or very short... Where we crawl, is pretty wild... Right by the ocean... Some places we hit, if ya go too far one way, yer swimmin'...

In my Clod, I use a lot of brake... In my TLT, I don't get much brake with the Novak... It rolls or if I tap the brakes, it wants to flip or speed backwards... Need to dial in a lil more drag brake I think... 30% just isn't enuff...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViolentOne View Post
With stock motors, the braking was kinda soft, but was there... The 35's have a fair bit more grab than the 27's do, but wven with 27's, the EVX has some good brakes on it... Haven't had the rear end lift on me yet... But I haven't gone down more than a 70* incline under full brake yet...

Most of my descents are either rather long or very short... Where we crawl, is pretty wild... Right by the ocean... Some places we hit, if ya go too far one way, yer swimmin'...

In my Clod, I use a lot of brake... In my TLT, I don't get much brake with the Novak... It rolls or if I tap the brakes, it wants to flip or speed backwards... Need to dial in a lil more drag brake I think... 30% just isn't enuff...
thanks for the reply. glad to hear it has good brakes. I will eventually go mamba max but the evx seems to be fine for now.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
i let go of the trigger and let the dragbrake handle it. brushless is the only way to go.
X2!!!
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote