Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: DROOP? droop suspension?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default DROOP? droop suspension?

When in the heck did DROOP become a suspension style?

Droop is defined as the amount of down travel the suspension system has.

All suspension style have droop.

there are about 10 threads out there that are calling internal springs shocks as droop style suspension, what is that all about.

All this is accomplishing is making it more work to teach newbs what the facts actually are.

Is it me or are others confused these days? LOL
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Feeling prolific this morning?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
RCC Addict

i think i was the one that did the the final drop of water in the glass that spilled.

so what do you call a suspension with a shock with no external spring with on one small on inside that the shock travels more down than up, there are some with 50% 50% ? ? ? ?
chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Enlighten me please ,i think they are talking about full droop suspension, seriously i need to know so i can apply terms correctly
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Feeling prolific this morning?

Sorry boss.............LOL just need to vent a bit.......I keep getting emails and PM's from newbs all confused about suspension lingo being tossed around.

Heck the amount of misinformation being slung here these days has me confused

maybe time for me to write a suspension lingo article LOL
Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
Sorry boss.............LOL just need to vent a bit.......I keep getting emails and PM's from newbs all confused about suspension lingo being tossed around.

Heck the amount of misinformation being slung here these days has me confused

maybe time for me to write a suspension lingo article LOL
As a "torsion" guy, I find it all a bit confusing as well.

I'm sure at some point in the near future, I too will try a droop "style" suspension set up to see for myself.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

ive thought of a droop suspension being no springs. the rig is resting on the axles or bumpstops at idle and when crawling the axle has no where to go but droop. i guess shocks are needed to control wheel hop during wheel speed although when i try my drooper it'll be no shocks.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
When in the heck did DROOP become a suspension style?

Droop is defined as the amount of down travel the suspension system has.

All suspension style have droop.
Not all suspension styles have droop. Most crawler suspensions have been set up as 100% compression. You know, the coilovers running fully extended at ride height. How do those have droop?
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You haven't tried one yet dez? you are always ahead of me of the stuff i try, and now i'am working on a full droop suspension for and oncoming build, i have beat you this time .....hopefully it works, if not i will pm you for help
Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Enlighten me please ,i think they are talking about full droop suspension, seriously i need to know so i can apply terms correctly

DROOP IS DROOP.

From RCTEK:

Suspension Droop:

Quote:
Suspension droop is defined as the amount of downward suspension movement there is in the wheels of a model car.
The base measuring point for this droop can either be the chassis or the ride height of the car.

It is responsible for keeping the wheels in contact (or not!) when the front/rear of the car rises or falls - like going into a corner, braking/accelerating or going over bumps.

More droop obviously allows for more wheel travel to keep the tyres in contact with the track surface, but this is at the cost of agility - the car will not change direction as quickly.

The general rule of thumb with droop would be to have just enough to cope with the track you are racing at and no more.

You must also consider the affect that the damping and springing on the car has with increased droop as they have to be able to react quickly enough to move the wheel in and out of any holes, etc..
So to paraphrase: the suspension cycling up is UP TRAVEL and suspension cycling down is DROOP

All suspensions have droop. no suspensions are droop style

For crawling droop is s 2 edged sword

too much and it makes the rig unstable while on off camber situations, and get stuck in deep holes that rigs with less droop can ride over.

that being said a vehicle with more droop is more stable on down hill decents that have off camber ledges.

Im among those who feel you cant have too much uptravel and limit my droop to around 3/4" max
Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #11
RCC Addict

This is good reading, tought I'd throw it in here...
Droop Vs. others
Enjoy, very educating...
~John
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Not all suspension styles have droop. Most crawler suspensions have been set up as 100% compression. You know, the coilovers running fully extended at ride height. How do those have droop?
well even full extended unless the shock is vertical 90* from the ground, there is limited amount of droop because of the arching motion of the shocks in travel

Droop can also be forced via uptravel of the opposite wheel on a solid axle.

My current setup is fully extended shocks at about a 45% angle. the droop is about 1/4" from rest and the forced is about 3/8"
Old 06-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAWLR4life View Post
This is good reading, tought I'd throw it in here...
Droop Vs. others
Enjoy, very educating...
~John
actually that is what has started all the mis info flying around.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
You haven't tried one yet dez? you are always ahead of me of the stuff i try, and now i'am working on a full droop suspension for and oncoming build, i have beat you this time .....hopefully it works, if not i will pm you for help

Haven't seen the need Carlos, I have been doing well w/ my torsion rig.

I have enough parts kicking around to build one and I'm sure curiosity will get the best of me.

In the terrain I regularly crawl, center chassis clearance is of prime importance and the Stick/Pimp Cane designs are perfectly suited to my needs.

I have to admit that JIA's droop rig is far and away my favorite rig in the droop arena!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #15

Same types of questions and answers that we ask in the 1:1 arena. I have a buddy who runs his Jeep on coilovers that are almost fully extended at static ride height. While I, on the other hand, set my coilovers up with only 3" of shaft stickout. The rest is droop. I only left a little stickout to prevent beating my kidneys to death on small bumps. I recently built a TXT based tuber with the shocks setup at full compression at static ride height. Instead of using internal springs to push up on the shaft (keeping it retracted), I just used a center tension springs from the frame to the axle to pull up on the axle... keeping the suspension in tension to help combat unloading. I guess a "droop" suspension would be described as thorsteenster said... built on the bumpstops, riding at full compression and only allowing droop as the rig goes over obstacles. In reality, it's just a coilover link suspension with no, or even negative spring rates.
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:44 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I never said it was a style, but what does full droop mean though? is it even a correct term? i would assume it means suspension set at full compression when idle , and suspension moving 100% of the shock lenght or travel when at full droop?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Exactly

Droop is just a term used to describe a suspension with no up travel. What is so hard to understand? I suggest you read the thread Krawler4life posted.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #18
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
DROOP IS DROOP.

From RCTEK:

Suspension Droop:
Suspension droop is defined as the amount of downward suspension movement there is in the wheels of a model car.
The base measuring point for this droop can either be the chassis or the ride height of the car.

It is responsible for keeping the wheels in contact (or not!) when the front/rear of the car rises or falls - like going into a corner, braking/accelerating or going over bumps.
Quote:
well even full extended unless the shock is vertical 90* from the ground, there is limited amount of droop because of the arching motion of the shocks in travel

Droop can also be forced via uptravel of the opposite wheel on a solid axle.

My current setup is fully extended shocks at about a 45% angle. the droop is about 1/4" from rest and the forced is about 3/8"
A shock that is fully extended does not allow the suspension to move downward. By your definition above, droop is the suspension moving downward.
You are talking about the tire moving downward due to the axle twisting during articulation. The tire moving down is not the same as the suspension moving down.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Same types of questions and answers that we ask in the 1:1 arena. I have a buddy who runs his Jeep on coilovers that are almost fully extended at static ride height. While I, on the other hand, set my coilovers up with only 3" of shaft stickout. The rest is droop. I only left a little stickout to prevent beating my kidneys to death on small bumps. I recently built a TXT based tuber with the shocks setup at full compression at static ride height. Instead of using internal springs to push up on the shaft (keeping it retracted), I just used a center tension springs from the frame to the axle to pull up on the axle... keeping the suspension in tension to help combat unloading. I guess a "droop" suspension would be described as thorsteenster said... built on the bumpstops, riding at full compression and only allowing droop as the rig goes over obstacles. In reality, it's just a coilover link suspension with no, or even negative spring rates.
my first 1:1 I built has tons of droop. over the years I have limited the amount and have went to more compression or UP TRAVEL. max I can get.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
actually that is what has started all the mis info flying around.
Why don't you enlighten us to all of this mis information. And I'm not talking about nit picking terms apart either.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote