Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Parts ??? Before Buying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #1

Default Parts ??? Before Buying

I have a gift cert for towerhobbies and I have made up my mind and I want to purchase the PTI 1/18th Goliath Rock Crawler Kit but I know it's not a RTR kit as things are needed to make it complete. So my concern is what exactly these things are as I want to get everything all at once rather than in separate orders or from multiple sites.

I am not a noob to the R/C world as I have had many nitro R/C's....however I am new to electric R/C's so please bare with me with my list of questions and I hope those out there with great experience and knowledge can share their input.

So here goes my list of parts that I think I need along with some questions or concerns if any on the parts.

1) 1/18th Goliath Rock Crawler Kit

2) Traxxas Titan 550 motor ( is this a decent motor for rock crawling or is there better at that price area??? )....( do I need one or two motors for the kit??? )

3) Hitec HS-5645MG High Torque metal gear servo ( just one since I will only do front wheel steering )

4) Traxxas EVX Speed Control ( is this worth it or should I go for just something cheaper, if so...which one )

5) Battery???.....which one?....I want to have long run times, with good voltage. Do I need two 7.2v batteries or just one high voltage battery with good mAh rating???

6) can one lipo battery work and is it safe for the Traxxas EVX Speed Control???.....I have a couple lipo batteries that are 11.1Volt 1500mah Output Constant: 23A / Output Instant: 30A..........I also have a couple of Integy NiMH small 9.6v 1400mAh batteries
Are any of these ok to use???......or refer to question # 5

Now I basically want to get whats needed to make it run. I already have an extra JR Racing XS3 radio with receiver.

If I am heading in the wrong direction with the parts and questions, please share your input as well as links to parts.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Last edited by JerseyFLIP; 06-23-2007 at 09:55 PM.
JerseyFLIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I would use this motor here http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZP8&P=0 or this one http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKUG5&P== but. I think they are out stock at towers might try here bc tower run out stock most time on them motor http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/motors.html .As far as battery i use a standard stick pack 7.2 2000 or 3000 mah

Last edited by drc323; 06-23-2007 at 08:24 PM.
drc323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #3

for this kit...I only need one motor right?
As far as the 7.2 battery, if I am getting that Traxxas ECS which is basically a Novak, will I just need one battery cause the ESC has to connections for battery and I saw a mod here that mentions to jump that open connection....is this really necessary to do? Or can it be left alone and still run a 7.2v or higher voltage battery? Cause I have Integy 9.6v batteries that are only like 4" long at 1400 mAh so I would think that battery is ok to use or combine two of those to put out 14.4v which the ESC can handle up to???
Old 06-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
MWRCA'er

1) 1/18th Goliath Rock Crawler Kit

2) Traxxas Titan 550 motor ( is this a decent motor for rock crawling or is there better at that price area??? )....( do I need one or two motors for the kit??? ) Better choice would be a 55t integy lathe motor. Slower RPM's with more tractor power

3) Hitec HS-5645MG High Torque metal gear servo ( just one since I will only do front wheel steering ) It will work but that servo does have a weak geartrain I'd look into a towerpro 995 or 945.

4) Traxxas EVX Speed Control ( is this worth it or should I go for just something cheaper, if so...which one ) Not the right ESC, them EVX's are junk in my book. The mamba max is the best esc you can buy and is something to consider if your running Lipo's or plan to upgrade to brushless down the road. If your looking for a budget ESC a Novak XRS is a good esc.

5) Battery???.....which one?....I want to have long run times, with good voltage. Do I need two 7.2v batteries or just one high voltage battery with good mAh rating??? A single 7.2 pack is all you need, For this size of rig I would recommend running a 2/3a pack similar to what is found in the Team losi mini-t. Remember, the less dead weight the truck has to carry uphill the better it will crawl. A 1400 pack will still net you a hour or so with a 55t turn motor

6) can one lipo battery work and is it safe for the Traxxas EVX Speed Control???.....I have a couple lipo batteries that are [/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=-1][COLOR=#ffffff][COLOR=White]11.1Volt 1500mah Output Constant: 23A Output Instant: 30A..........I also have a couple of Integy NiMH small 9.6v 1400mAh batteries
Are any of these ok to use???......or refer to question # 5

EVX doen't have a cut off which my cause over discharging of the lipo pack and limit it's life and run time. The 1400mah pack would be perfect.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #5

so if I were to use one of my small Integy 9.6v 1400mAh batteries.....the higher voltage won't damage the ESC or the make the motor spin faster evn those Integy rock crawler motors that put out speeds of like 4-6 mph???

Reason I ask about battery voltage is because on my airsoft guns, they have similar motors and if I increase the battery voltage, the rate of fire increases as the motor speed gets faster.

Sorry if I ask too many NOOB questions, I am 5+ years in Nitro R/C's so this whole electric thing is new to me.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #6

Do I need a pinion gear for the motor I get or does the PTI kit come with a pinion gear?
If not, what is good pinion gear to use with the Integy Rock Crawler 55S motor???
Old 06-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
MWRCA'er

If you use the 9.6 pack you would have to use the mamba max or EVX just about everything else can only take 7.2 or 8.4 volts depending on the esc.

If your voltage is increased you will get more wheel speed. You can always change the gearing to find the sweet spot. Simple throttle control too.

Never had a PTI but I have heard the gearing is terrible (to fast), I'd go with a 12t 48p pinion if it will fit.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

it comes with one in the kit
Old 06-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc323 View Post
it comes with one in the kit
good to know, thanks!!

you guys rock.....thanks for helpful advice....placed my order, now the wait
Old 06-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Talking

you will not be disappointed
Old 06-24-2007, 10:14 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I strongly recommend getting a GRU. I have 4:1, which seems to be too much because of the wicked torque twist. I'm thinking of ordering GD600 (2,6:1).
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i use the gd600 and it perfect in my eyes
Old 06-25-2007, 05:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc323 View Post
I would use this motor here http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZP8&P=0 or this one http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKUG5&P== but. I think they are out stock at towers might try here bc tower run out stock most time on them motor http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/motors.html .As far as battery i use a standard stick pack 7.2 2000 or 3000 mah

How did you mount your battery pack? I just put a pti crawler together and by the time I installed the the gd600 and the electronics I don't have much room for anything else.
MudHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

when i put my truck toghter i put my tranny in backwards. I extended the front plate where the battery will lay down and clear the mounting post and gives some good weight up front.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #15

drc323 - can you post some pics of your truck and how you configured/mounted the GD600?

I'm waiting on another outdrive and then I'll be mounting my tranny....
sicklidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

i see if i can find some of them pics for you