Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Crawlin on the beach front??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Crawlin on the beach front??

Any precautions? Please read--

I am going to go to San Diego soon (Del Mar area). Last time I went, there was this really neat rock on the beach. It was right up against this 15 foot cliff. This rock was so huge, must have gone down the beech for some 600 feet. And this rock has all kinds of ups, downs, crevaces, puddles of sea water, sand, and it was just like all over the place, but it was one big rock. Now I have never driven an RC on the beach before. But when I go again, I want to drive my crawler on this rock. Any precautions I should take to prevent rust, or something to prevent messin up my motors and axles? If there is some things I should worry about and somethings I can do to help prevent anything bad happening to my crawler, please, tell me. Thanks

Last edited by Crawlerdude75; 07-05-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Crawlerdude75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Beware off salt water. It will corrode stuff very fast. Last time I drove an R/C on the beach it was a brushless xxx-t. Very fun in the sand, but when I got home all my hardware was rusted and soon after my diff went. I didn't even get it in the water just wet sand. Have fun but be carefull. You might want to get a small air compressor to blow your truck out also.

Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Took my scaler to Ventura beach about a month ago, played in the sand and then on the rocks.

Then since it was all sandy and it's completely waterproof, I gave it a shower before I left.

Before:

After:

Yay!
camel_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
MWRCA'er

Talk to the florida guys they know this all too well. I made a visit to them in florida at the beach and kicked up some sand with my rear dig. The tuber started to rust on the drive home. If I wouldn't have gotten paint back on it it would be looking a bit rough now.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

This thread is worth bumping for the pictures alone.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
I joined the Band!

Camel RC, you said you gave it a shower..... wouldnt more water make it want to rust even more? I was thinking a high pressure air compressor and use a blow nozzle, and hit it with big blasts of air. Maybe not. What ever works best I guess. for me though, when I crawl in the mud at my house, I leave my crawler out in the sun to dry the mud, then I blow it off with an air spray nozzle on my compressor. It works pretty good, but in your case (and mine upcoming) maybe water works better? Maybe dry it with an air compressor?
Crawlerdude75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerdude75 View Post
wouldnt more water make it want to rust even more?
um...i dont think aluminum(
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
MODERHATER™

Aluminum will corode just like steel.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #9

Pack everything you can w/ grease, either replace bearings w/ bushings or plan on replacing them(bearings) after, and hose everything off w/ fresh water afterwards then re-lube. I dont run mine at the beach, but I know guys that run nitro when they can get away w/ it.
yjwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerdude75 View Post
Camel RC, you said you gave it a shower..... wouldnt more water make it want to rust even more? I was thinking a high pressure air compressor and use a blow nozzle, and hit it with big blasts of air. Maybe not. What ever works best I guess. for me though, when I crawl in the mud at my house, I leave my crawler out in the sun to dry the mud, then I blow it off with an air spray nozzle on my compressor. It works pretty good, but in your case (and mine upcoming) maybe water works better? Maybe dry it with an air compressor?
But by rinsing off the salt water with clean, fresh water(from a sink or shower), it will rust slower/less.
USATorque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I don't have the problem with salt water here in Michigan.......BUT I would assume it would be similer to driving in snow. In your case spray it
off with clean water then spray off the excess with an air compressor.
Finally spray it down with WD-40 and wipe off the excess.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I almost lost my first rig at Myrtle beach last year, Just don't drive it into the waves on the beach. Remember wd-40 is your friend.
RedNeck Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

WD40 is your best friend when displacing water and preventing rust in these situations.
wyattburp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

i live at the beach in jax. fl. it takes les than an hour for salt water to start rusting screws and such. wd40 would deffinatly help to spray as soon as your done, and leave it on till you can get home and take whatever you need apart and then clean with fresh water then spray with a compressor. i have had a few of my first nitro trucks rust up bad on me, locked up the bearings in the wheels and such
tjarr001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattburp View Post
WD40 is your best friend when displacing water and preventing rust in these situations.
thats what WD-40 stands for.
water displacment test #40. just a funny fact.
astroboy403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy403 View Post
thats what WD-40 stands for.
water displacment test #40. just a funny fact.

I think it's "formula" and not test
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #17

you right. it is a formula. but when they were making it, it was test and it took them 40 time to get the right formula.
astroboy403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #18

Has any one tried Fluid Flim, 100x's better than WD-40.
littlenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

WD-40 , or what ever you like , first . when done mild soap/h2o bath . then soak a rag in wd-40 .... and wipe every thing down . spray into bearings , joints etc. anything gritty after this needs to come apart , air blow down optional , suggested if available .
I ran my sand scorcher at Va.Beach all the time with less care and never had major issues with corrosion or wear .

Fluid film is more of a lubricant like sewing machine oil , and I'm reading on the tube that it prevents corrosion .
WD-40 is a water dissipator , moves water away , the salt still needs to be removed to stop corrosion .

Last edited by Frank3; 01-02-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #20

If you rinse your rig off with water don't use a forceful spray it just pushes the salt in to every ware.

They recommend you just let the water run over saltwater fishing reel so you don't force the salt into your reel. This is what i do to my reels and my 1/8
buggy. shortly after i take it apart and wd 40 it.

just make sure it's dry
BAM-BAM is offline   Reply With Quote