Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Scorpion Headlights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Scorpion Headlights

Hey guys! I haven't posted here in over a year! A lot has happened in the personal life and I'm finally starting to get back to normal. Anyway, I started to play with my Scorpion again after it sitting in a box for 7+ months. After strapping a small LED flash light to the hood and driving it around at night I decided to put some headlights on it. I found the headlights at Wal-Mart in the sporting good section with all the flashlights. They are mini-mag light 3-LED lamp replacements, like $4 each and run off two AA batteries. They also come with their own buckets.

I picked up a 4-AA battery back and switch at RadioShack. I mounted the batteries under the rear deck using 3M double sided tape along with the switch.

After doing a little trimming to the factory "headlights" the LED buckets slid right in, and I hot glued them in place.

And the final results!

These LED's are SUPER BRIGHT! I'm thinking of adding four under body rock lights and two LED's for break lights. The first test run was amazing! Its a little funny to see this thing driving around at night.

Let me know what you think!
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I like it. Can you give more details? Did you have to add any resistors? Or is all that built in to the light assembly...just wiring in batteries and go? Am I seeing the lights correctly -- they are 3 LEDs in each housing? How does that look when they're off?
JasonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

No resistors, they are built into the light housings, so all you need to do is wire it up and go. Yes there are 3 LEDs per headlight and they are super bright! At night, they throw light at least 25ft. When off, they look like real headlights.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I like 'em. I especially like that the resistors are built in. Clean installation. I've always wanted to put LEDs into my Jeep. This may be the ticket.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

LEDs dont use resistors unless the power is to great using a 2.5v battery pack wont be to much for the led. LEDs a 2-4v capacity at most times if using a led for a vehicle you need a resistor.

and they look awesome good job on the lights they also make 5mm size leds that would also be good for that application

_blubbersnap_
blubbersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #6

I'm going to have to do this. very nice btw
crawlerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I did this on my Wrangler, and it's great. I used the front lights as was posted above, and used two Radio Shack LEDs with built-in LED holders on the rears. Wired everything up into a 2-AA battery pack. Works great, and looks cool at night with headlights and tail lights.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #8

what did you use to keep the lights in place?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerb View Post
what did you use to keep the lights in place?
I used super glue on the front. The Maglite LEDs come with a small chrome bucket (seen above) and then the actual LED assembly. I cut a hole (Dremel) in the Jeep's headlight area exactly centered behind where the headlight "lense" is and cut it to the exact size of the chrome bucket. I then just super glued the bucket to the headlight area and then super glued the LED assembly to each bucket.

The rear 5mm LEDs from Radio Shack come with their own threaded LED holder and flat nut. So I just drilled a hole that size behind the stock Jeep taillight lense and cinched down the nut. The LED is so flat, the plastic taillight lenses snapped right back in place on top of the LED and it looks totally stealth.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #10

ok cool guna have to get me some super glue