Old 06-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Cutting Carbon Fiber Rod

Any tips for cutting Carbon Fiber Rod
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2004, 01:49 PM   #2

Default Re: Cutting Carbon Fiber Rod

never worked with rod, but let me say this, wear a mask whenever you work with rod, the dust is dangerous if you breath it in. and if you get any dust on your hands or arms, rinse it off

first just turn on the water and put your arms under the water to risne off what you can, then use your hands to get off the rest.

oh yeah, you're gonna go through more blades than you would with aluminum.
kap06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 04:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I don't see why a hacksaw wouldn't work. As said before, always wear a mask and googles when working with cf. You might even want to wear a welder's mask over the mask so you don't get dust over your face.
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 04:46 PM   #4

cutting the rod won't be as bad as cutting sheet, thats a real pain. CF will dull your plades really fast...suprisingly fast. i cut to medium sized holes in 3mm CF..and it took me 3 blades.....to cut about 18 inches worth of hole perimeter.
kap06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx
Any tips for cutting Carbon Fiber Rod
I would try a sawzall with a metal blade at the highest speed setting,but don't push the saw through,let it cut REALLY slow. Might want to clamp the rod down. Don't let the saw bind up or catch on anything,that would cause the rod to splinter. Ask me how I know,I used this method cutting my carbon arrows for my compound bow last season.

:EDIT:
I was watching T.V. and thinking about stuff,as I do alot. My wife gets mad at me cuz I watch a movie with her but my mind is wondering about thinking of other things O'well,she'll get over it. Anyway,I've heard of guy's cutting their carbon arrows with a tube cutter. Ya know the kind you cut automotive brakeline and copper tube with. Just apply a little presure and go slow with it. Might give that a try also.

Oh,btw,you got a PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:55 AM   #6

I use it and cut quite a bit of it for my helicopters, and I've found that the best way (for me anyway ) is with a dremel running fast with an abrasive cut-off wheel.

You can get a couple of grades of wheels, the coarse ones seem to hold up a bit longer though. As for dust, do what everyone says; wear a mask and goggles, at the very least. If you have a flex shaft dremel, you can also cut under water. I fill up the sink, hold the rod just under the surface and cut it there. You'll have to re-grease your handpiece afterwards, but the dust all stays in suspension, so you don't breathe any of it in. I also don't think it splinters and frays as bad this way, maybe because it stays cooler???
Wayne
draganflyer is offline   Reply With Quote