Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Need some Help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Need some Help...

ok i have this problem so long with the damn Speed control set up on a emaxx stock its really easy to get water in it and i spent $130 for a damn new one... and i want some help to mount it like were it might not get wet as easly bcuz im getting tired of spending so much money on that damn thing so please help!
MudBoGGinMaxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2004, 02:37 PM   #2

Default Re: Need some Help...

is it the EVX? you do know that traxxas has a lifetime guarantee on those....you can get them repaired for 20 bucks.

i don't have any ideas to a new moutning place. since i never had a problem with my EVX getting wet. you could try putting it a electronics box like they use on nitros...but you'll have to monitor heat....or maybe put a fan on the outside.....

if you put a fan on the outside you'll help with cooling, and though it won't be as well protected, it will still be better off than if it weren't in the case.
kap06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have an idea that i might do on mine just so i can drive it in the rain....make a housing metal or plastic with a small fan installed into the housing and use crafting glue to waterproof it.....just a thought
bulletproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

hmm sounds like it might work and sounds cool ill try that. thx
Old 06-29-2004, 06:04 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

hey bullet acually thats really bad cuz look with the fan and the moisture in the air its gonna suck that moisture in the fan which blows it in the EVX... i just started thinking about it and i thought of that....
Old 06-29-2004, 06:11 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

it'll cost $45 if its water dammage accordint to traxxas $20 if not & after 90 days
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:31 PM   #7
R.I.P. Chip

When I bought a new emaxx for my crawler project I took it out of the box and tried to run it, it didn't work.

I sent it to Traxxas and they said it had gotten wet, I told them all I did was take it out of the box. They said there is no way that could happen, and wanted me to pay $45 to fix it. I told them to stick it in their ass and I went and bought a super rooster.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

LOL!!! hell yea tell them like it is... well im gonna figure sumtin out sooner l8r, im thinking about mounting it above the motor's build a plate to mount it on plate would be i guess aluminam thats as far as i gto right now i been drawing it out too see what i can do...
Old 06-29-2004, 10:09 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'd like to make a waterproof box too, but if you put it in a box, how will it breathe? if you put a fan in it, won't water get in that way, or will the flow of the air not allow water to come in? wouldnt water mess up the fan?

hmmm maybe you could run 2 snorkle tubes into the box. one you would run a fan that pushes air into the box, and another that would suck air back out.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:27 PM   #10

Quote:
I'd like to make a waterproof box too, but if you put it in a box, how will it breathe?
Adam...you should know the answer to this one. Install a breather
Perhaps something that stands vertical from the chassis (stiif wire, etc), w/ some small diamter poly tube running along it and a tiny ass filter on the top. It could work, ya know. 8O

Max
Ishikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:56 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Well, just a breather wont be enough. It would be different than just venting an axle like we do on our Toyotas. In this case, we need a lot of air flow. The ESC's get very hot and can overheat very quickly. If it's in a box, it will be worse. My idea was to pipe in cold air using a fan and a tube into a box, and then another tube with a fan reversed to suck air out of the box. Route both of the tubes up high where they wont get sucked under, and I think it will work. I will try this as soon as I build my new chassis.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:46 AM   #12

Yeah...I think that will work just fine. Has anyone tried a water cooler similar to what they use on fast processors in gaming machines? Perhaps it adds too much weight?

BTW...I was just kidding about the breather...that's why I put one of these in it , I fully understand that I know nothing about RC's...I was just messing with ya (since I actually know someone on the board )

Max
Ishikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #13
RCC Addict

lol

I think a water cooler would be a bit of over engineering. I like to keep it simple.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:06 AM   #14
Ace
Rock Crawler

I run a regular rooster in my clod inside a radioshack project box sealed with silicone...

I do have a fan on the heatsinks inside the box,but the box is sealed.

No problems thus far, although I only have the stock can motors on that clod.

I chose a metal lid box thinking the metal would transfer the heat better than plastic.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:33 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

hey adam if u do that idea tell me if it works and ill try that.. i got all the tools etc. so if it does COOL