Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Magnetic Float Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Magnetic Float Shocks

Hey, today when I was in the garage with my dad I was playing with some magnets. Then I was thinking about a movie I had seen in science class a couple weeks ago. The guy in the video had a clear plastic tube, he then took two magnets and put one at the bottom. After that he dropped the other magnet into the tube so the magnets would repel. The magnet went down and kinda bounced up and down a few time than just floated. So I was thinking, how would a magnetic sloat shock work for crawling. I personaly think it would be great. Please tell me what you think of this idea............ or am I dumb and this has already been done.
Pat
XxPr3miumRid3rxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Ace
Rock Crawler

magnets attract or repel with the square of the distance between.

A coil springs force is proportional to the distance moved. (constant coil dia, coil pitch and constant wire dia)

SO, a magnet would tend to develop a lot of force at first and then diminish very rapidly with a short distance traveled.

Would be tough to use that force efficently.

You'd have unlimited droop though!
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I saw a show on the millen family and there motorsports they had a shock that had a very expensive shock oil in it that when current passed thru it it would thicken up and when the current was shut off it would be thin again they actually used it to support the offroad truck.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

what if you stacked 4 of those super strong magnets with a small spring between the two pairs? then you would have the magnetic resistance part travel and spring the rest of it
triaxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

What if you took a few of those magnets and the one on the top you would put a spring behind it so when the shock was compressed the magnets would rebel and with soft enough spring it would compress slightly then spring back to its original possision and force the other magnet back down.
ttrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
Quasar of the Galaxy

If one of you guys want to try it than go to www.wondermagnets.com and then to products and then go to the NdFeB magnets, they make all kinds of sizes of magnets, cheap too. And also as a warning these things are capable of cutting, lifting up 20 pounds, stopping clocks from 5 ft away and crashing computers, so don't put them in your pocket.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:57 PM   #7
RCC Addict

UMMMMM did you read my post.That fluid is made by the millen family and yes it is 1,000 bucks a liter.Nasa even uses it on the space shuttle.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:05 PM   #8

You know I work for a Custom Jeep shop that specializes in rock crawling and i think that my boss has some and i also think that he has already used it in one of his crawlers but I'm not sure.
Dreadnaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
06 Super National Champ

Seems like if the magnets oscillate they would then function as springs.

Shocks damp the spring action, not suspend the vehicle.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

In effect, stick with the tried and true shocks. There's a reason that nobody's using this, although it initially seems like a good idea. Magnets are also relatively heavy for their size, the benefits, if ever perfected, may not exceed the detractions when using magnets that might possibly be strong enough to support a 10+ pound crawler.
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:18 PM   #11
06 Super National Champ

Magnets in the sense that you're referring just won't work.

Getting a set of magnets with a high enough Gauss to suspend the corner of a truck is one thing.

Getting them to rebound controllably is something else entirely.

Magnets will only act as undamped springs.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:34 PM   #12

I'm just shooting this out there but what about this stuffhttp://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin...catalogno=3140
Dreadnaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #13
06 Super National Champ

ah...magnet oil.

Neodymium magnets are brittle. If the nickel coating chips the magnets end up breaking apart eventually.

The oil helps protect the nickel.

I'm kidding.

Seems it's a liquid that does the same as Iron Filings...shows the magnetic lines of force around a magnet.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by syco133
I saw a show on the millen family and there motorsports they had a shock that had a very expensive shock oil in it that when current passed thru it it would thicken up and when the current was shut off it would be thin again they actually used it to support the offroad truck.
they use that in high end GM models like Cadillacs and Corvettes. it allows the car to have "comfortable" and "sport" damper settings. Mercedes uses something else, i think they open/close valves in the dampers.
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Wow....... I didnt think so many people would have something to say. lol. It was just an idea I had....... I think it would be neat though if someone could get it to work. Oh well...... it was just a thought..........
XxPr3miumRid3rxX is offline   Reply With Quote