Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Equal link lengths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #1

Default Equal link lengths

I wanted to know if theres a problem running equal length links top and bottom, I was told that the top links need to be shorter, about 25% shorter then the bottom links.
DanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I may not know what I'm talkin about (hopefully someone smarter will chime in) but I've always heard you want your upper and lower links close to the same size... but with the way most chassis are designed, I haven't seen it ran that way too often...
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
I was told that the top links need to be shorter, about 25% shorter then the bottom links.
Whoever told you that is a freaking tard. All thats gonna do is put your pinion in the dirt on droop. I feel equal length or a tad longer up top is better. That keeps the pinion angle and drive shafts angles allot happier throughout the suspension cycle.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Whoever told you that is a freaking tard. All thats gonna do is put your pinion in the dirt on droop. I feel equal length or a tad longer up top is better. That keeps the pinion angle and drive shafts angles allot happier throughout the suspension cycle.
x2 they don't know what they were talking about.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
ghetto fabulous newbie

here something about same length uppers and lowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
......... Same length uppers/lowers will keep the pinion angle consistent throughout the suspension arch. Uppers a tad longer than lowers will push the pinion up a tad during compression on a sprung set up

Same principles,just backwards results cause the suspension is working in reverse.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #6

Thanks alot guys. I just got the rock rider tube chassis for my ax-10. I got a set of the bent links and put them on the bottom then took the original bottom links and put them on the top, it seems to be working fine. Some one I know commented on the links being the same length, so I thought I'd ask the experts. Thanks again.
DanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I wanted to know if theres a problem running equal length links top and bottom, I was told that the top links need to be shorter, about 25% shorter then the bottom links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
[QUOTE ] Originally Posted by raptorman57
......... Same length uppers/lowers will keep the pinion angle consistent throughout the suspension arch. Uppers a tad longer than lowers will push the pinion up a tad during compression on a sprung set up

Same principles,just backwards results cause the suspension is working in reverse.][/QUOTE]

you can use same length uppers / lowers
depends on the amount of mounting locations on the chassis

Last edited by SnoopMaxx; 01-10-2008 at 12:00 AM.
SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx View Post
you can use same length uppers / lowers
depends on the amount of mounting locations on the chassis
Facts are,running uppers the same length or a tad longer as the lowers will keep your pinion out of the dirt.

Mounting locations on the chassis mean NOTHING to me as far as the length of the links go. In order to get a good,smooth,consistent suspension set up it's best to put the link where they NEED to go,not whatever works with the holes in the chassis. If the uppers need to be a certain length,and theres no hole there.....drill your own or make a link mount for that location.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote