Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Hummer prop shaft mod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hummer prop shaft mod?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I want to shorten the wheelbase on a Tamiya Hummer (actually Blazing Star, but it's the same chassis and drivetrain) I know I saw a scaler here before that was based on a Tamiya Hummer, but the builder had made or modified the chassis to stretch it out some. I'm starting up a similar scale rig based on a Hummer chassis/drivetrain (Yes, I know it's independent suspension, and that doesn't crawl well, but for reasons of scale I want to go this way). The problem is, the Hummer uses this long basically piano wire prop shaft to take the power from the rear gearbox to the front, and I don't think that the usual tricks (brass tube, epoxy, collars etc) are going to work with such a thin piece of metal.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the thread I'm looking for? I've searched but I'm coming up blank.

Alternatively, if anyone has any suggestions for making a shortened prop shaft (ordinary ones won't work as it doesn't use yokes, just a loop of wire at the end) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
LAV25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Try brazing thay have a kit at home depo for $50 with a colllar this will be a good tool to do scale things with too dont know what u want to spend but good tools help
pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have an S10 kit that I've had for about 15 years. It uses the TA-01/2 Cassis which is about the same. I had the same problem when I first got it of "slinging" the stock piece out. If It is the same thing as mine was it was just a wire with two eyelet hoops bent on the ends. The only solution there was then was to buy the "Manta Ray" upgrade drive shaft. Same length but the shaft was made from probly 4mm hard wire with a "smashed down" ends and new couplers to the gearboxes. I'm currently strething my old S-10 out to a 12.5" wheelbase and am going to make a new shaft from a similar piano wire but one that I can slide inside a bearing before smashing the ends down. oncethe ends get done then you could use the bearing to keep the shaft from slinging out buy useing it like a carrier bearing on a full size rig with a reallt long drive shaft. Kinda like one on a delivery truck but not a semi. Hope my rambelings help!
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Jeepfreek,
Thanks, that helps a lot, at least I'm pointed in the right direction now, gotta see if I can find one of those shaft kits on eBay or something. I'd love to try brazing like Pook says, but I live in an apartment and that's just not an option at this point.
Thanks to you both!
LAV25 is offline   Reply With Quote