Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: How to wire up reverse lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How to wire up reverse lights

I'm trying to figure out how to wire reverse lights on my scale truck. I do not want to have to purchase an after-market lighting system. I've seen a couple trucks that have had this done, but they didn't go into detail how it works. I have enough knowledge to be dangerous and blow up LEDs, like I did today... HAHA! I'm taking power directly from the motor to the LEDs, since I didn't know where else to get power from. I know this isn't correct because it gives you different voltage for the RPMs of the motor, but it was just a trial run to see if it worked. Any ideas?
venomous98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
RCC Addict

What I have done, is get a micro servo, Y it into the ESC's signal from the reciever, and put a snap switch beside it.
driving forward, the servo arm swings away from the snap switch,
in neutral the servo arm is touching the snap switch lever,
in reverse the servo arm presses the snap switch and turns on the lights, which can be run in series off the radio, or resistored down.
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

All I did was wire a LED in parallel with the motor connections, using a 220ohm resister. They work well, they get brighter as you step on it, but I dont care. You could also put in a zener diode in series with the LED to limit the voltage.
Renslipevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default all done

Got it all figured out today! Went with my original idea, just needed to get the correct resistors for the led's im running. Works great!
Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Think you could post up a wiring diagram?
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

This is how i did it. I first soldered a red wire about 6 inches long onto the negative side of the motor, then a black wire onto the positive side of the motor. Yes, red goes to black and black goes to red. This is done because when you go into reverse the negative side of the motor becomes the positive side. Next i put a female JST plug onto the two wires from the motor. Now take about 6 inches of red and black wire and finish off the other side of the plug (male side). Once that is done take some leds and mount them into the body or where ever you want them. This will give you the approximent length of wire to use. I used leds from Radio Shack, 5mm white, 3.6 volt, 20mA, 1100mcd. Pick up some resistors also, get the 270-Ohm, 1/2 watt, 5% tolerance. Now all you have to do is solder the correct length of wire red and black onto the JST plug (male side) to reach the leds. Don't forget to add the resistors into the red wires, i put mine at the end of the harness close to the leds. The plug will allow you to remove the body and unplug the lights, just makes it alittle easier. I hope this helps anyone that had questions
Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
RCC Addict

just use a micro servo and switch in parallel with the esc
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I would have done it that way, but i don't have room for a servo. This was my back up plan.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
RCC Addict

when it comes to electronics...i think im retarded! bwhahaha!!
a write-up would be sweet (with Pics).

SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote