Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Body Filler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #1

Default Body Filler?

Starting my scale build with a clodbuster body, I want to fill in the sunroof and the hood scoop. What is everyone using for body filler? something sandable that i can mold some body lines into.

Thanks for any info.
FloridaRebel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #2

Anyone? lol

i know theres bondo, but can i use that on the tamiya plastic? tried some searching but didnt find any brand specific results.
FloridaRebel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

sometimes it take a little longer than two hours for people to respond
starvenamrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

you can use the Squadron/MMD green or white putty as I used to do but the Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty is much better. More stable, won't shrink, goes on smoother, etc.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I've always been a fan of melting plastic scraps in laquer thinner for filler. Takes a little longer to dry but you're basically molding new plastic in, and it will act like the base material once it hardens.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
you can use the Squadron/MMD green or white putty as I used to do but the Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty is much better. More stable, won't shrink, goes on smoother, etc.

ive found that "evercoat" glazing putty works beast for me. sands real easy and drys fast
JEFF THE JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike Kid View Post
I've always been a fan of melting plastic scraps in laquer thinner for filler. Takes a little longer to dry but you're basically molding new plastic in, and it will act like the base material once it hardens.
this is really the best method and the way I usually do it. although I just saturate the area with tenax/plastruct then work a very thin piece into the space to be filled. I usually leave it proud so I can sand it down flush.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

not to help jack a thread or anything, but what does liposuction have to do with rc crawlers? His website has nothing to do with bondo. Anyone say "SPAMMER?"

Back to topic, I think that fundementally, dissolving scraps to use as filler is the best way. In the end you have a chemically strong bond, and the filler acts like the base. Bondo is fine for tiny scratches, but it grows and shrinks differently than styrene or any other plastic that a body might be made of. I'd say, if it's anything larger than a small crack, use the base material. It may take a little longer to dry, but it will be a much better piece structurally.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I don't mean to thread jack but i was just getting ready to post and ask the same question. Glad I searched first that way I don't get flamed to high hell. Um so how do you go about melting down the plastic to use it for filler. Do you just put some styrene in the thinner and let it melt. How much do you need and so forth. Just curious cuz I started a scale build last night and tonight I'm gonna be cutting and stretching a New Bright TJ body to make it an Unlimited. I want the bond to be really strong and I have Plastistruc stuff to use for glue. Um maybe a step by step would help with some pics? If not I think I might see if Walmart carries glazing putty tonight when i get off work. Ok guys thanks in advance for the help.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote