Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: HELP!!!....My Diesel needs Black Smoke.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default HELP!!!....My Diesel needs Black Smoke.

I have done a search a few different times, and have not been able to find what I am looking for. So, I am hopping that someone will be able to help me out.

I build a Mega Cab scaler and I would like to have black smoke come from the stacks that I am going to put in the bed. I have found 2 different smoke machines, but I havn't been able to find if they can make black smoke instead of white :?.

Any help sure would be appreciated.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

have you checked into train supplies, you may find some there the train guys are fanatics with scale

just a thought

this link shows deisel trains with black smoke

http://www.usatrains.com/

Last edited by mr.freeze; 12-05-2009 at 08:00 PM.
mr.freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Man, I should of thought of that. We don't have a very good LHS in the area that has train stuff. But, I know in Denver that a couple of good ones. I will call them and figure something out.

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Sadly even train smoke is white. You can get scented smoke, but you can't get black smoke. At least I have never seen it before!
Knytemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
RCC Addict

They make smoke cartridges for radio controlled air planes but blue is as close to black as I found.

http://www.rcsmoke.com/?gclid=CL-Tm_...FWpd5Qode1gmpg

DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
RCC Addict

http://www.micromark.com/SMOKE-GENERATOR,8116.html

it is petroleum-based smoke fluid i don't know if it would work but what about mixxing it with some food coloring or a couple drops of used motor oil. just a suggestion, don't burn your truck down
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Check out the scale accessories threads.. there is a sticky with a bunch of websites. Www.gardentrucking is one of em & they make black smoke modules..... most of their stuff is 1\64 I think.... its been a while since I've visited the site. But I'm sure you'll find something over there that will work for ya.
TONKA TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

i have been trying to figure this out too! i have a stack in my dodge, and i wanted black smoke, im going to try and stick some kind of screen at the bottom and get a piece of coal burnin, stick a piece into the stack, and drop a few pieces of rubber that i cut off of my flatirons... not sure if its gonna work but im gonna try!lol
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
i have been trying to figure this out too! i have a stack in my dodge, and i wanted black smoke, im going to try and stick some kind of screen at the bottom and get a piece of coal burnin, stick a piece into the stack, and drop a few pieces of rubber that i cut off of my flatirons... not sure if its gonna work but im gonna try!lol
Wow. I would be afraid of melting my body. Coal burns HOT. I do hope it works for you though. If it does, you will have to post a Video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj578 View Post
http://www.micromark.com/SMOKE-GENERATOR,8116.html

it is petroleum-based smoke fluid i don't know if it would work but what about mixxing it with some food coloring or a couple drops of used motor oil. just a suggestion, don't burn your truck down
I will look into it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONKA TOY View Post
Check out the scale accessories threads.. there is a sticky with a bunch of websites. Www.gardentrucking is one of em & they make black smoke modules..... most of their stuff is 1\64 I think.... its been a while since I've visited the site. But I'm sure you'll find something over there that will work for ya.
Thanks man. I will continue my qwest for the BLACK SMOKE .
Old 12-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
Wow. I would be afraid of melting my body. Coal burns HOT. I do hope it works for you though. If it does, you will have to post a Video.

will do! i will probably try in the next couple days! ill let you know how it goes!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Someone built a big rig I believe on here with smoke....not sure on the color though.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Try getting a screen logon to "Fine Scale" and search there. Big time into details. I had two hits directing me to them, but without a logon, you do not get to view everything.

http://finescale.com/en/How%20To/Art...nzer%20IV.aspx
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

you might try a couple of glow pulgs witha glow plug ingiter in a steel container and smoke oil mixed with some transmissiom fluid
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

theres a LHS with 2 train geeks, ill call em up 2day n ask em if they kno of anything n ill get back 2 u!
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

The smoke is not black but it .......

http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/m...ges/smoker.htm

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRockSpider View Post

Evan

HOLY COW thats a lott of smoke lol!!! that would simuloate the truck on fire rather then its exhaust!!
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Sadly, you're not the only one on a quest for black smoke. My son and I are also into G-scale trains and ONLY white smoke is available. On our steam engines it's not so bad, but on the diesel the smoke looks cool, but definitely not prototypical. Aristocraft makes a smoke module that will run about 15 minutes or so before needing a refill. MTH Also makes one that is fan powered and will puff smoke, but again, only in white.

If you can find success in making black smoke, you'll not only be a hero here, but also in the model train world !
DarinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRockSpider View Post

Evan
Now this is a lot of SMOKE. I would so run that if I can find the BLACK to put into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
Try getting a screen logon to "Fine Scale" and search there. Big time into details. I had two hits directing me to them, but without a logon, you do not get to view everything.

http://finescale.com/en/How%20To/Art...nzer%20IV.aspx
Thanks, I will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinM View Post
Sadly, you're not the only one on a quest for black smoke. My son and I are also into G-scale trains and ONLY white smoke is available. On our steam engines it's not so bad, but on the diesel the smoke looks cool, but definitely not prototypical. Aristocraft makes a smoke module that will run about 15 minutes or so before needing a refill. MTH Also makes one that is fan powered and will puff smoke, but again, only in white.

If you can find success in making black smoke, you'll not only be a hero here, but also in the model train world !
That makes me fell like this is a lost cause, but I will keep looking any ways

THANKS TO ALL that have helped with input on this matter. I will keep searching.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpasta2000 View Post
HOLY COW thats a lott of smoke lol!!! that would simuloate the truck on fire rather then its exhaust!!
Thats what you need for those diesels that people switch on and off to dump smoke out the stacks. Also keeps people from tailgating you.
super mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mud View Post
Thats what you need for those diesels that people switch on and off to dump smoke out the stacks. Also keeps people from tailgating you.
lol, when i had my diesel i would fill the intersection with smoke, the light would go green, i would go and everyone else just sits there for a min. lol i love that feeling!