Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Which one should I make?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Which one should I make?

I want to start a new project and decided on a trailer for my Tundra Highlift. My original thought was to build a trailer for my TC3, something like this:

Wouldn't be a fifth wheel hitch but pretty much the same, tire rack and cargo box, fold down ramps, dual axle, and detailed as much as I could handle.

I had another thought on a different trailer that would look right at home behind my highlift too. It would be a replica of my parents tent trailer.

It would be pretty sweet, not too hard and would be pretty original I think. I don't know if I would go as far as making it functional or build an interior but I would try to be exact as possible with the outside of it, roof rack, front cargo area, maybe some 1.5 tires. What do you guys think?

My next question is for the smarter people out there. How do I figure out my dimentions to scale it down properly? I'll be going home in about 2 weeks and plan to take measurements and lots of pics of it. I know there is some sort of math formula to figure it out. My Tundra is 1.9 so it's gotta be the right size. I plan on starting to purchase materials next week so let me know you think!
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #2

That tent trailer is SICK!!!! I think it is very cool with the lift and box in front for gear. That would be a fun project. I think you should go for it.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!
OldMoparsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #3

To answer your question about scale (Forgive me if this is not what you were looking for).

A scale of 1:10 means that something that appears as 1 unit in your scale depiction is 10 units in real life. In other words, your plan is 1/10 (I assume) the size of the real trailer.

Just divide each actual measurement by 10 to get the scale size.

Example:
12 feet (144 inches) / 10 = 1.2 feet (14.4 inches)
8 feet (96 inches) / 10 = 0.8 feet (9.6 inches)

If you want to match your 1:9 scale identically, you would use the same formula, but divide by 9 instead of 10.

Example:
12 feet (144 inches) / 9 = 1.333 feet (16 inches)
8 feet (96 inches) / 9 = 0.88 feet (10.66 inches)

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule

Last edited by OldMoparsRule; 06-27-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I love it the trailer has better tires than the truck
muddbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Haha I know, the guy they bought it from had the TSL's on his truck too so he bought matching tires for the trailer. The trailer comes from the factory with 31" Dunlop Mud Rovers (you can see them in the second pic on the front cargo area) and my truck also has Mud Rovers, so now they actually do match, lol.

So if the trailer measures 22 feet long, divide by 9 and get 2.4, mulitply 2.4 by 12 for 12 inches in a foot and I get 28 inches? That sound right? My highlift is not 1.9 scale, it uses 1.9 tires. Or does that mean it's 1.9 scale? Man I suck at math, lol.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont slow down View Post
So if the trailer measures 22 feet long, divide by 9 and get 2.4, mulitply 2.4 by 12 for 12 inches in a foot and I get 28 inches? That sound right? My highlift is not 1.9 scale, it uses 1.9 tires. Or does that mean it's 1.9 scale? Man I suck at math, lol.
You are correct. You just need to match the scale of the Highlift which I believe is a 1/10. In this case, your 22 foot trailer would end up being 2.2 feet or 26.4 inches long.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!