Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: M416 trailer all steel build...finished

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default M416 trailer all steel build...finished

Hey guys, ive been posting this over on gsrcrc, but decided now that its done i should post up some pics here. I happen to have a 1:1 FJ40 landcruiser and am in the process of restoring a 1:1 M416 military trailer. The frame and mechanicals have been gone over and restored, and ive recently drawn up the peices i need made to make the bed. While awaiting time/funds to finish the 1:1 project i decided that would make a scale trailer for my scale landcruiser. So this is gonna be the majority of a build thread in one post.

where did i start?

well i started with a nice sheet of 22g steel and some 5/16th square rod. I made the bed out of 5 peices, a base, front and back, and two sides that were bent into the correct shape dog leg shape. the "rolled edge" look at the top was made with music wire that was brazed into place.

the handles in the corners were made with thinner music wire...

the next step was to make the wheels and tires, now my 1:1 trailer maintains its military wheels and tire, however i was unable to find the correct scale (1.5") military tires so i went with TLT wheels in chrome, and tlt tires cut down to look like military tires. the 1:1 tires are 31" stock, my cut downs ended up being 3 1/8" which is just about perfect
wheels before

tire before

wheel and tire after

wheel after

tire after

now that the tires and tub were done it was a matter of making fenders...
these were a real PIA to make, basically made the lip first, then make cutaways in the lip to allow it to fold. After that it was a matter of a sandbag and a screwdriver and hammer and bent the correct shape, they were then brazed on.

really happy with the look, altho if you extrapolate to 1:1 the fenders are about 1.75" wider.

my 1:1 trailer is being painted dune beige (to match the 1:1 fj) with camo over it, and the interior is getting bedlined. The 1:10 got painted the same color as the 1:1 havent decided if im gonna do camo or not. also pictured is the 1:10 scale lunnette...more on that later.

now to mount the wheels and lunette.
axle first.

the axle is a m3 threaded rod sleived with a 3mm ID tube...its mounted with 2 peices of 2mm music wire soldered side by side then brazed to the bed...decided that suspension in a 1:10 scale trailer was not nessesary and just made it more expensive.

the lunnette and holder were sourced from mcmaster. THe lunnette is a plastic eye bolt with a 1/2" inside diameter, and the lunnette holder is a peice of 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/4" delrin shaped and drilled...

now all that is left on the trailer is the a-frame...easy two more peices of 5/16 square bar and we are good to go, just need some milling work on them

one last project...a pintle hitch...the one ive made is temporary but it works...

this is the best pic i have...its a pie sliced tube (that 3mm id stuff from earlier) bent into a right angle, with a cut down brass ball on it, and a music wire top...

excuse the peeling paint...next project is a new fj body...waiting to see if RC4wd really makes a hardbody

and a vid of it being run in the yard at my rents...sorry for the iphone video...all i had on me today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erD2s_7Hu5w

Last edited by nj05nismo; 08-29-2010 at 07:00 AM.
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I like it, I bet some of those steel wheels would look good on the trailer. Looks good though.
minisaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That's pretty cool
blukon98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Your trailer came out AWESOME in metal..! I too recently got done building an M-100 trailer from styrene. They seem to be the perfect addition to any scale rig..! Yours looks great..!

51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Your build thread inspired me to get off my ass an actually build mine. I had been talking about doing it for about a year, but never got motivated. Then i saw how nice yours turned out and said, hmm, why not. And since i was waiting on $$ to rebuild the bed on the 1:1 i figured why not practice...lol.
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj05nismo View Post
Your build thread inspired me to get off my ass an actually build mine. I had been talking about doing it for about a year, but never got motivated. Then i saw how nice yours turned out and said, hmm, why not. And since i was waiting on $$ to rebuild the bed on the 1:1 i figured why not practice...lol.
LOL - Very cool man..!!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote