Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Scale driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Scale driving

How do you guys feel about driving? Do you but much thought into your driving after doing a build as close to scale as possible? What is to much WS for scale? I mean in a real truck you wouldn't floor it turning this way and that till it hooked up then shot you to the next point.
Something I've always thought about and wanted to hear how you think.
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
RCC Addict

No one thinks about it?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yes I do think about it sometimes, like when I have a new body that I just painted or a freshly built bumper that Iam trying to push a rock 10 times bigger that my truck out of the way with I sometimes think now would I try this with my daily driver if I was out doing a little trail run, usuallly there is NO way I would go over, under, up, or down some of the places I make my scaler go. But after the first scar on the body or bumpers its game on.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I think this is the whole point to this sport. In scale terms you see something that wouldn't drive your 1:1 over but think just maybe... So you then try this with your scaler and either acoomplish it or fail miserably without damaging your bigger more expensive toy. Just my 2c.
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Depends on what you're building. If it looks like it exists to be a beater, beat on it. If you're building something more show-quality looking but still not a shelf queen, then you drive it accordingly. Same as the 1:1 world.

I don't like doing a lot of work to make a truck look true to scale and pleasing to the eye only to take it out and beat the crap out of it. I drive mine the same way I'd drive a real 1:1 truck that looked as nice, I try to drive lines that make sense and keep the rubber side down...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I try to drive lines that make sense and keep the rubber side down...

From shelfqueen to beater I drive as if I'm in the truck and its a 1;1. Crazy WS or punching the throttle to launch over a log rock I feel you wouldn't have or do true scale so don't expect your scale truck too.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post

From shelfqueen to beater I drive as if I'm in the truck and its a 1;1. Crazy WS or punching the throttle to launch over a log rock I feel you wouldn't have or do true scale so don't expect your scale truck too.
I feel the same way, also with flying over the rocks with big speed, you're crawling not racing.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I personally drive my scalers like I'm running away from the Russian mofia! There are times when I'll go gently so as not to tear up the trail but most of the time it's just a huge bash session. I figure that if it breaks, I'll simply pick it up, toss it into the trunk of the Camry and take it home to fix it, something you can't do when you break a 1:1 rig deep in the woods or desert.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

This is a good topic b/c as I watch some of these videos it occurs to me that a Toyota pickup or Range Rover daily driver isn't gonig to fly into a rock and bounce/jump to the next one. When I off road my land cruiser (which I drive daily) slow and control is key.

I'm in the process of building a scaler. I'm using Kyosho Rock Force axles (30:1) mated to a summit tranny (7:1 or 20:1 roughly w/ my pinion/spur). With a 600:1 ratio I first noticed that the truck moves more naturally over the rocks just like my cruiser. Second the tires hook up on things that they never would in high gear (210:1). I know it sounds like a crazy low gearing but I run it w/ a 3s lipo and 8.5T Novak brushless. It goes pretty good in high gear but it has amazing slow torque. I'll add it to the 2.2 section one of these days.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

usually when I'm going through a technical part I'll take it slow...but for more flat stuff i'll go full boogy down it.

I also slowly let off the throttle before coming to a complete stop with my truck becasue it's got a drag brake and if you suddenly let go of the throttle it'll force the whole truck to come to a suden halt.
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I agree that with a new paint job im always more careful. Same with a hard body b/c they arent as durable as lexan bodies. But after the first scratch in my clod, i was WOT when i needed to get over a rock or when im on flat b/c going scale speeds between obstacles takes too long. Now i am going to be building some trucks that will be light duty trail rigs that i will keep the possibities of close calls to a minimum.
ae racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I like to beat on my 1:1 so I do the same with my scaler, but there are times when slow control is key, a lot of it comes from knowing your rig and what looks more scale at what speed
blukon98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blukon98 View Post
I like to beat on my 1:1 so I do the same with my scaler, but there are times when slow control is key, a lot of it comes from knowing your rig and what looks more scale at what speed
Like to see pics of your 1;1.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
RCC Addict

When I drive mine I run it pretty slow but I like to see just how far it will go and I like to take sketchy lines and just see if my rubber will stay planted. My trucks a a lot if scratches but that comes with the territory. I don't see how u could build a crawler or trail truck and not scratch it.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
Like to see pics of your 1;1.
No pics but here's a vid, its nothing special though, just a beater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOLWdeuTROg

Last edited by blukon98; 09-26-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Scaler or not I am gonna take it out and push it over the hardest lines I can find. That is the same way I would drive any dedicated offroad truck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by blukon98 View Post
No pics but here's a vid, its nothing special though, just a beater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOLWdeuTROg
Man that was SO not scale
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Scaler or not I am gonna take it out and push it over the hardest lines I can find. That is the same way I would drive any dedicated offroad truck..

Man that was SO not scale
Yes so! Lots of "scale" wheelspin!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Sometimes I will "hammer it" and hope for the best in my 1.1(c'mon I have a 347 stroker in a short wheel base Ranger), but most of it is slow crawling. I haven't broke any axle shafts yet, but its only a matter of time. With my scaler there is a lot more speed, for the reason that its a lot easier to get out of a bad situation(breakage). Just nature of the beast we call crawling. If it was as hard to get your scaler out, you would be a lot more careful.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
RCC Addict

being a relative newb to the scaler class (just got an scx), i have found that the donor electronics from my comp truck which is a 50 turn on 2s make the speed pretty beliveable. It not fast but you have enough wheel speed to add that coolness factor when dinking around in the playground sand pit and you see the truck flexing as it goes over the "dunes" rather than skim over it and commonly drive it from eye level when possible. Also i have to take in to consideration the fact the 1:1 im basing my build off of has a top speed of around 50

I do admit to driving it on my comp course
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Its either/ or for me. Sometimes I will take it slow, 50% throttle, etc. Technical lines, battery conservation, steep terrain all call for less throttle. Flats, creeks, scale "rivers," jumps, and things like that call for 100%. Towing trailers and pulling my buddies call for 100% and pulling them over the biggest rocks I can find. lol
arthurc10 is offline   Reply With Quote