Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: dash dimensions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default dash dimensions

Need a little help with the width of my dash. I am planning on a full interior but have no idea how wide to make the dash. can some of you chime in on this.
Thanks
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
www.team3sixrc.com

Umm, for what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
Need a little help with the width of my dash. I am planning on a full interior but have no idea how wide to make the dash. can some of you chime in on this.
Thanks
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Building an old school fj 40. I am running the front tube work to a piece of flat steel that will act as the dash as well as an attaching point for the roll cage if that makes any sense. It is similar to the build unimoger did with a (beckworth?) frame.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

really no one is willing to put a ruler on their dash, and post up some dimensions?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Are you asking for the dimensions of a fullsize dash?
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

No just a general idea of what people are using in their scalers. This is my first scale build and have no idea how wide the dash might need to be. I am using steel and welding to it so it wont be very easy to change once i build it.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
www.team3sixrc.com

Yeah but people build their trucks based on what they are building. Matching an existing body. Just to randomly choose a dash won't work. I can give you my Suzuki or honcho dash sizes and there is quite a differance.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
On the lookout for Rocks

Do you have the body in hand? If so, measure it. If not, wait til you get one and then build from there. You would kind of hate to get someone else's measurements and then it be wrong when you get the body.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

My dodge dash is about an inch wider than my LJ dash. Both these vehicles are different scales though, and if I measured my 1/24 scale vehicle's dash, you are going to get a much different number.

Basically no one else's dash measurement is going to work for you, even if someone has another FJ.

It's funny to say this:

Quote:
really no one is willing to put a ruler on their dash, and post up some dimensions?
When it doesn't seem you are even willing to put a ruler to your own body.

Are you going to ask for the link lengths next? or maybe the length of a truck bed?
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Sorry i work in civil construction so we talk about the length and width of a project. My bad. I have the width from my body. What i am looking for i guess is the hight of a dash. Just looking for some general numbers to get an idea as I realize those will vary as well. 1/10th scale....................

and as a side note racermonkey thanks for the Fawk you response it was both helpful and productive. Any time you feel the need to come down off your high horse and be a smart ass please chime in. Sorry was that rude?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
www.team3sixrc.com

Im not sure why this isnt on the thread. but I received this message in my email. Monkeyracer makes some very good points. I understand your trying to get some information to help you build this dash, but we ALL build our stuff to accomidate our builds. we are not calling out someone and asking them for the dimentions.

---Quote (Originally by punkfan)---
No I am irritated that your being a dick. I am looking for a starting point maybe the measurement of a dash cluster sticker so i dont make it to short. A starting point and some input not a fawking smart as comment.
---End Quote---

Here's a recap of this thread, to give you a better understanding of my post...

1 - You post a request for a dimension of a dash without saying what it is going into, and what you are really doing.
2 - Norm (Team3Six) asked for clarification on what you were talking about, since you weren't very specific.
3 - Your reply (an old school FJ40...) again, not very specific. Which scale, which body (lexan or Aoshima?) many variables to this...
4 - You get no answer for more than a week, so you bring the attitude that everyone who has the information you need is just too lazy to tell you, (your key phrase is "no one is willing...?") - This is where the thread turned to crap...
5 - spookyseven asks for even more clarification since no one here can read your mind and assume they know what you are asking for.
6 - you ask for a general size of a dash - this is like asking how tall RC tires are, there are way too many varibles here and you end up actually taking a step back with what information you want.
7 - Norm tells you that a "general" size is probably not going to work for you, as there are so many different trucks out that there is no "standard" size (again, still don't know you mean height...)
8 - constantmotion tells you that you just need to measure the body you have, and if you don't have the body yet, wait till you do before you start the dash (sounds logical to me!)
9 - I come in (admittedly with an attitude) and tell you that my two scale vehicles' dashes are much different sizes, so I (or anyone else) could tell you the size of their dash, but that's not really going to help you since your build will be different. It seemed to me that you were wanting to be spoonfed some information without taking the time (now over a week since you first asked) to measure this yourself.
10 - you clarify that you meant you want the height of the dash, rather than the width, and express your dislike of my comment.
11 - I reiterate that your dash is going to depend on your build, but, I give you an actual piece of useful advice despite the attitude. All you have to do is measure a pic of the 1:1, and translate the ratio to your build.
12 - now you ask for a measurement of a sticker, well, which sticker? again, you need to be specific when you ask questions to get good answers.

Now, here's the actual second point of advice for you:

Get whatever pieces that you need to base measurements off of (so, if you are getting one of bowtie's sticker sheets, get one of those first, or if you are getting a steering wheel, or whatever) then make a paper mockup, it's much easier to manipluate a piece of paper than steel, so if you mess up, you can always start over with new sheet of paper.
Once you get what you like in paper, transfer the design to steel and cut and weld away. This is a pretty basic thing with metal work; cardboard and paper are much easier to manipulate so they work well for templates.
I hope you can get this figured out, because I really do appreciate when people do something custom and a little more than the standard just screw it together stuff. I also hope you learn more effective ways to post questions on public internet forums.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

A mod probably removed it, but I am not sure for what reason? I wasn't personally attacking anyone, and didn't think I violated any forum rules... wierd... at the very least this part should have stayed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Im not sure why this isnt on the thread. but I received this message in my email. Monkeyracer makes some very good points. I understand your trying to get some information to help you build this dash, but we ALL build our stuff to accomidate our builds. we are not calling out someone and asking them for the dimentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer

Get whatever pieces that you need to base measurements off of (so, if you are getting one of bowtie's sticker sheets, get one of those first, or if you are getting a steering wheel, or whatever) then make a paper mockup, it's much easier to manipluate a piece of paper than steel, so if you mess up, you can always start over with new sheet of paper.
Once you get what you like in paper, transfer the design to steel and cut and weld away. This is a pretty basic thing with metal work; cardboard and paper are much easier to manipulate so they work well for templates.
I hope you can get this figured out, because I really do appreciate when people do something custom and a little more than the standard just screw it together stuff. I also hope you learn more effective ways to post questions on public internet forums.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

well put norm!!
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Not looking to be spoon feed any info I am looking for some general ideas. If you look at my post I clarify my mistake, and what i am looking for. What I dislike is this general attitude that if you dont know we are not going to tell you. Not only that but we are going to be dicks about it. By the way I was not referring to you at all, only monkeyracer. I think his comment about links, and the bed, and his general attitude was out of line. I thought this forum was to share knowledge and ideas, but I guess that's not the case. I try to be civil and helpful, but if you come at me with a shitty attitude I will respond in kind. Im not someone that will be pushed around just cause someone has more posts than me. If you want to help cool, if not dont be a dick just pass on by.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
www.team3sixrc.com

Im not by any means stating that at all that your being a dick. I think you might be confused as how we are able to get the dash built in our trucks is all which I suppose could happen.

but monkeyracer does give you some very good idea's to achive that.

I did it with all of my trucks by developing a posterboard template, and once it works to a point that pleases me, I then go about building it.

How do you believe I came up with the interior for my Honcho's?

I think you'll find it a much better process to get the dash that best fits your design.

The best way to start your chassis to make all the things jive is ask the pro's. I find that Keatwo, War Pig, Zorlac, R2j, Pitch flat, Just Zach, Ecoli would all be excellent people to discuss this with. And I am sure they would be more than happy to help you start building your chassis.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post

Thank you for this trick. This is what I was looking for. Somewhere to start from, I am not a metal worker so this is all new to me. I just needed a starting point and I can take it from there. Again thanks for the info.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thank you for this trick. This is what I was looking for. Somewhere to start from, I am not a metal worker so this is all new to me. I just needed a starting point and I can take it from there. Again thanks for the info.
I'm glad that the paper trick will help.

Really, I'm not generally a dick until someone tries to throw attitude around. Even with my posts (which really just the one about the links and bed had attitude) there are some good pointers on how to do what you want to do.

And, back to what I said before, I appreciate the fact that you are trying to scratch build your rig, not many people do that.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
www.team3sixrc.com

It was actually monkeyracers idea. I have just done it myself in the past.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Monkeyracer not sure why it did not post up this info the first time you posted. Your post reads total different with that added in. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again
Old 11-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No just a general idea of what people are using in their scalers. This is my first scale build and have no idea how wide the dash might need to be. I am using steel and welding to it so it wont be very easy to change once i build it.
Just a thought. Why did you choose steel to work with? Even though it can be done it seems like too much wieght. Why not use styrene?
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote