Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Panhard bar needed with 4 link front?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Panhard bar needed with 4 link front?

Would a panhard bar be needed if I swapped from the stock Axial 3 link up front to a true 4 link? I mounted to servo to the frame and have a decent panhard setup but been eyeballin throwin a 4 link up front. Is it worth it or would I still need the panhard?
Thanks!!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

From what I have read that a properly setup 4 link with correct triangulation would not need a panhard bar. But I have also read that a 4 link can be a little difficult to work with when you have an on-frame servo setup.

Personally, I have a 4 link front on a scaler I'm working on that uses a frame I built myself similar to the TCS X-Trail and when I mounted the servo on the frame I noticed bump steer. But I've been getting it to be less and less by adjusting things and making sure the steering linkages are parallel to the ground at ride height by using a few small spacers at my connection points on the servo horn and axle ends.
md7989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The only way to completely remove bump steer, that I am aware of, with frame mounted servos would be a pan hard bar set up. This ties the frame to the axle in a manner that prevent the axle or frame from shifting sideways under hard steer or articulation. A 4 link will shift from side to side, but not as much as a three link. There are downsides to both set ups.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Sounds good...just checkin out the options before I tear into the suspension again LOL. Im gettin a little bit of bump steer now with the high steer knuckles where I wasnt before but Ive almost got it tweaked out! Might just finish it up and call it done if the 4 link wont help any.
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote