Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Where do you draw the line for too much power..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Where do you draw the line for too much power..?

I know I know it sounds stupid everyone wants more power...

I was tinkering around with my scaler today its a custom build and extremely heavy Im running the rc4wd r2 disco transwith I think a 18 or 19t pinion with a rooster crawler.

Just for shits and dibbles I swaped out the 55t novak for a 35t and then a 12t.

The 55t has great torque and drivability but traveled at about half the speed of smell ... literaly got boring playing off the rocks.

The 35t has about th same low speed controll ( a better motor would solve this Im sure) and just about crazy top speed think its gonna be too hard on the driveline though.

And the 12t ... I think you all get the picture balls to the wall almost pulling wheelies and the truck has to weigh 16+ pounds.

So my question is keep the great torque and controll or sacrifice some torque for some balls?

What are you guys running in your heavyweights?
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Not sure of the weight of my rig...its a honcho with new bright jk body, 2.2 pro-line swampers, and NiMH batteries...i run it with a axial 27t and its got good low-end and enough balls to go through the mud...
bradabolics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'm running a Novak 55T in my SCX10, with a 12t pinion and it's also on 8.4v's, it goes faster than I can walk. It's a bit faster than my TR Dingo was when it was stock. I'm not sure how much it weighs now now that I have my NB Hummer H2 body and interior installed but I'm assuming close to 8 or 9 pounds in rtr form.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My heavy azz Willys uses a HH 35T motor and 3s, it crawls with ease and goes flat out at a walking pace. I had tried the 'go fast' motors on a 'Yota scaler, ending up with a 500 Puller. It would lift the right front tire and go stupid fast, but it was destroying the drive shafts ( twisting the yokes and splines) and it completely toasted a R2 tranny. That was when I called 'too much' !
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Suck it up!

I've got a 27t motor powered by 3s and going through a Summit trans in my Bronco. Crawls nice and slow, and has enough wheel speed to get crazy.

I'm thinking 4s may be in its future.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

that's why i went with building my own adjustable gear ratio tranny and transfer case....i want wheel speed with a high turn motor, but still want the torque from it also....a axial tranny has 2:6 to 1 reduction from input shaft to output shaft....my scale/TT build will have up to 3:37 to 1 acceleration going through transmissin and transfer case to the axles insted of reduction like a standard axial tranny.........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

27t-35t motors on almost all of my scalers.
run a 2s or 3s lipo.

if you run a 4s you may want a esc that has adj. punch control like the mamba maxs.
you can dial in how much power gets put down,makes it a
lil easier on your driveline parts.
for those who didnt know..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiredunlmtd View Post
27t-35t motors on almost all of my scalers.
run a 2s or 3s lipo.

if you run a 4s you may want a esc that has adj. punch control like the mamba maxs.
for those who didnt know..
I like the Idea of that, I love my novak esc but to be able to dial down the ower from the remote I think thats all the more worth it. A motor change in my rig is a good 15min ordeal.

Im in he market for a good radio system but havnt quite found what Im looking for would really like a 4-5 channel pistol grip style but is slim pickins and will cost a nut or 2 if you know what I mean.

Good to know the limits of the trans I think the 35t is just a little to much overall wheelspeed and the 55t dosnt have enough I would like to try out a 45t before I jump the gun and drop some more money on a good one that I might not really like either you know
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
Suck it up!

35t's are great all-around motors IMO. The only reason I went with a 27t was because I had it, and replacements are cheap. I also wanted some better wheelspeed with the 2 speed tranny. But if I were using an Axial tranny, the 35t would certainly be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiredunlmtd View Post
Isn't that what your finger is for?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I run a 3s Goat with a Ballistic 18.5. Bumped the timing up a notch for a little more punch. Also threw steel gears in the tranny, with steel outdrives. then the steel driveshafts and hardned axle gears. I just kept moving my failure point down the line, to the cvd's, now I'm eyeing a set of 300's. Sheesh, it never ends.
I couldn't imagine running this motor setup in an r2 tranny, probably turn it into a hand grenade.
From what I've seen of those running 4cell, seems like they are almost undrivable.
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #11

I went the opposite direction, I put a stock 380 Grasshopper motor in my F-350 for fun. I actually liked it enough to leave in. It seems particularly suited to the slow scale driving that I do but can also zip around decently enough for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjWzhYWtnIA
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
35t's are great all-around motors IMO. The only reason I went with a 27t was because I had it, and replacements are cheap. I also wanted some better wheelspeed with the 2 speed tranny. But if I were using an Axial tranny, the 35t would certainly be an option.

Isn't that what your finger is for?
yes..its just added security for those with itchy trigger fingers!!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-tech View Post
I like the Idea of that, I love my novak esc but to be able to dial down the ower from the remote I think thats all the more worth it. A motor change in my rig is a good 15min ordeal.

Im in he market for a good radio system but havnt quite found what Im looking for would really like a 4-5 channel pistol grip style but is slim pickins and will cost a nut or 2 if you know what I mean.

Good to know the limits of the trans I think the 35t is just a little to much overall wheelspeed and the 55t dosnt have enough I would like to try out a 45t before I jump the gun and drop some more money on a good one that I might not really like either you know

you adj the punch control via usb cable.
cable plugs into esc-into computer. i carry my laptop with me
changes are a few clicks and done.

and a good radio that just hit..checkout rpphobby
Airtronics MT-4 Radio NEW

i use integy motors-they run,and theyr cheap.
i have a few holmes hobby motors as well.
john makes some good stuff!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Puller 500 on 3s does my truck well.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Axial drivetrain, MMpro, 4 cell lipo and a Holmes 35t. 18t pinion stock spur and it crawls great and will pull a wheely for about 10 feet or just do back flips if your grab full throttle. I keep spare drive shafts in my pocket when I go out.

"Volt up, gear down"

I learned that here years ago and I find it to be the best rule.

Also, you said your running a 12t on a Novak crawler? I believe that the brushed crawler ESC has a 27t limit. I would run a cooling fan at minimum.

My high power rig is basically a honcho with some tube work. It has axial axles now cause' the T-rex 60 break too easy:

BladeMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

This is a long time question that I have pondered. When is too much? Is there too much when you know your rig well enough to hold back throttle? I used to run 5t pullers on 3s in my berg. Then I decided that it was indeed too much. Swapped to some handwounds. Dang, punch went down! There is never good enough it seems.

I think it really hinges around your experience and willingness to break parts to learn your rig and driving style. Beyond that, the battery is generally the choking point.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I run 7t puller motors on all my scalers on 3s between 12t to 15t pinion on a stock Axial 87 spur, the heaviest rig I got is 12.8 pounds and stills hauls ass, but yeah it is a parts breaker for sure
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped453 View Post
I run 7t puller motors on all my scalers on 3s between 12t to 15t pinion on a stock Axial 87 spur, the heaviest rig I got is 12.8 pounds and stills hauls ass, but yeah it is a parts breaker for sure
What esc's and batteries do you use with those 7t's? I've got a 5t sitting in the bin that I'd like to run in my 10 lb scaler, but I'm a little iffy about it since its got a 2 speed and I've got a heavy throttle finger...
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

turnigy 3s 2200 mah and sidewinder with cc bec, esc is fine but motor can run quite hot with happy trigger finger

oh yeah im still using the stock axial driveshaft....MIP's is a must for sure
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #20
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Duuude,

I would suggest 2s and 1800mah 25c as a minimum for that motor, they are very amp hungry. 3s would wear it out super fast and could throw a wind. If you can spare more size for a bigger pack or higher discharge rate then do it for sure.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote