Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Home made metal bumpers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Home made metal bumpers

Hey, wante dto get some input on what material to use to make tube style bumpers for my rig. What gauge rod would work best as far as easy to use, brase, etc. Also, what tools would I need? Rodbender, torch, cutter? Looking to get some advice from those of you who have actually made your own. Thanks!
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Hey Interceptor-
*size of rod depends on what look you are going for, I mostly use 1/4" and 3"16 solid rod for bumpers. I have a homemade rod bender but usually clamp it in the vise and whack it w/ a hammer to bend it Sounds crude but works great! Brakeline is easier to cut, braze and bend but takes some finesse to not crimp it. I always bend brakeline in a bender. I usually stick w/ the solid rod for bumpers since they take so much abuse and wieght that low is a good thing.

*Tools-I use a Benzomatic torch and Harris Safetysilv 45/55 solder and flux. I usually just cut it w/ a hacksaw (clamped in a bench vise) and use files to fine tune it. Sandpaper to clean up the joints prior to brazing is critical as well.

The tricky part for me has been keeping eveything in place to braze it. Still "fine tuning" that one!

Hope this helps, have fun...If I forgot anything I will edit the reply
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
RCC Addict

i use 1/4" solid rod and a MIG welder to make bumpers and stuff. i made a rod bender and thats it.. i made this bumper with just some rod, a hammer and a bench vise.. might attempt to build a nicer one next year but for right it seems to work... just gotta get it mounted up.

AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

for those guys that are brazing the rod. what is the tube material made out of ?

solid brass rod ??

stratton?
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post
for those guys that are brazing the rod. what is the tube material made out of ?

solid brass rod ??

stratton?

Both the tubing (automotive brakeline ) and the solid rod are STEEL

Last edited by Mr.Joshua; 10-18-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

check out my tubed bumper i made for my clod build towards the end of thread....i use 3/8" auto brake line and chamfered the ends and brazed 3/8" steel ball bearings in the end to round them out....then brazed tabs to mount to the frame .........bob

my TT build thread........

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

In most scale rigs 3/16" diameter is almost perfect for 1.5" tub in my opinion. You can use solid rod but I prefer Cromoly or DOM tubing and MIG or TIG welder. The MIG welder works very well when dialed in due to it's fast work. Just hold and tack. The Cromoly tubing is really strong stuff and welds nicely. I've also used 1/4" x .035 DOM tubing until the price sky rocketed, though it's come down in price since then. Watch this video for an idea of how strong this material and a MIG weld can be.

click here
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote