Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: RC4WD white scale shock modification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default RC4WD white scale shock modification

I was trying out some old white scale shocks that I had laying around on my 1/6th scale Willys when I realized that one set was 90mm length and the other set was 100mm length. The bodies were the same exact size so I took them apart to see what the difference was between them.

Once I got them apart I could see that the only difference was the length of the shock shaft. I looked to see if RC4WD sold the shafts separately and they don't. I wasn't going to spend $30 for a new set when all I need is a new shock shaft so I started to look in my parts bins to see what I had on hand to make some new shafts.

I found a set of slightly bent AX-10 rear axle shafts that were exactly the diameter I needed. I had to think a bit to see if I actually had the right tools to turn these axles shafts into shock shafts. I decided to go for it, no guts-no glory!

Here's some pics that I took along the way. The whole operation took about 2 hours, not too bad considering this is my first attempt at making shock shafts.

Here's the difference between a 90mm shock and a 100mm shock.

This was the 'donor' raw material that I used to make the new shafts.

Both axles shafts cut apart to give me my raw material.

After using a silver sharpie to coat the end of the shaft, I transferred the dimensions on to the shaft. Think of the silver sharpie as layout fluid. A few easy cuts with a parting tool made fast work of making the e-clip grooves.

Once the grooves were made, I had to cut the 4 x .7mm threads onto the end of the shaft for the rod end to mount. I get the die started, use the adjustable wrench to hold the die and rest it against the bed of the lathe while turning the chuck by hand. It isn't a pretty method but it's very effective!

2 new shafts ready for assembly.

Assembled shafts, ready to assemble the rest of the shock.

2 revamped shocks, they look just like the 'factory' 100mm shocks. What ever kind of coating that is on the axle shafts works well as a shock shaft, the new shafts are actually smoother in operation then the other ones.

On the Jeep, ready for abuse!

All in all this was a fun little project. It's a bummer that the different length shock shafts aren't available from rc4wd but at least now there's a 'how-to' that shows how to do it yourself and save $30!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Nice job and great thinking outside the box. As a second note, DAMN I hate you guys with a metal lathe.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Nice job and great thinking outside the box. As a second note, DAMN I hate you guys with a metal lathe.

Quoted for correctness! I really hate/love some of the people on here. Great thinking and cool tools. This is starting to sound gay so no more typing
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys. There are times when I post something that I hope no one thinks I'm trying to rub it in just because I have the mini lathe. Most of this part could be made with a Dremal tool and a very steady hand, the hardest part would be the e-clip grooves.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Nicely done...

But why didn't u just cut down the 100mm shafts?
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Good mod to know, ill have to remember that next time I need longer / shorter rc4wd scale shocks.....
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS View Post
Nicely done...

But why didn't u just cut down the 100mm shafts?
I needed another set of 100 mm shocks.