Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Wheel wells - what's the best way?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wheel wells - what's the best way?

I know a lot of people build wheel wells for their truck..they use any sort of thing they can find, from CD holders, to spray paint can lids...but my questions isn't about that.

What I"m curious about is what's better...to have the wheel well showing the shock or not? IF you show the shock, then the wheel wells are very deep, and seem a bit big. Granted, I'm sure it depends on the truck...cuz a Honcho, doing that on the front wouldn't seem that bad.

I am building my Rodeo body, and am struggling on how to do the wheel wells for the rear. If I do them on the inside of the shocks, they eat up almost the whole back area. If I do them more scale, then I have to find a way to conceal the shocks in the back.

What has everyone else done? Has anyone been really concerned one way or the other?
pike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

what type of shocks are you using? suspension? linked or leaf springs? if your shocks are short enough you can angle them towards the middle of your fram, and make a mounting point for them./\ like that?
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteadily View Post
what type of shocks are you using? suspension? linked or leaf springs? if your shocks are short enough you can angle them towards the middle of your fram, and make a mounting point for them./\ like that?
Currently the plan is to use stock Honcho setup. The shocks are different,but similar in size. I have thought about getting Pro Line Powerstrokes, but either way, it seems that the mounting points would still be further inboard.

I am just not sure that such a large wheel well would look very good. I guess I can go smaller first, and cut away if I need to.
pike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

When I make wheel wells I make sure that the tire has enough room at full compression so that it doesn't rub on anything.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i made some for the front of my honcho used a margarine tub and cut it in half, drilled holes so i could mount them, set the body on took a marker and traced the fender, took them off cut on the line, test them then trimmed as needed. my body is cut for 2.2's. i do have to do a little bit more trimming though. to mount them, i pulled off the shock off the hoop and eye balled approximately where the hole into the shock hoop is and marked it, drilled a hole, used the same screw for the shock and done.

your shocks will be outside of the fender well. also trimmed a little bit where the spring hits.

here's a pic or 2 of mine.

i have since moved my batt sideways and lower so gonna have to trim accordingly.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

it's common in the back to mount the shocks on the back of the axle and slope them in 45 degrees to a custom bracket near the center of the frame.

I don't have a shot of the frame handy, but here's the result - no shock hoops in the way and I can put my rear fender liners anywhere I want them.

Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I like the margrine idea its simple. Have ya painted them? Just curious how the paint sticks to em
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
RCC Addict

no i havent painted them yet. but i was thinking of maybe scuffing them up a tiny bit then try spraying them with lexan body paint since i have a tiny bit left in a can which isnt enough for a body. the worst thing that happens is it peels off and i find something else to paint them with.

i like them because their soft and they "move" with the body and can be cut/trimmed with a pair regular scissors. one day very soon when the weather isnt so damn cold i wanna paint them and see how they turn out. i moved my battery so i got some modifying to do first before paint.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I think i may try this tomorrow for my son's honcho. He is running 2.2 mudslinger's and they toss all sorts mud, rocks and water up underneath. Good tire but i think these fenderwells will keep alot of that from flying up where it shouldnt be !
Old 11-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
RCC Addict

im running the 2.2 TSL's on my rig and they splash the water and shit around too. mine are definitely getting trimmed and put on for the winter. i go out to the barn and see if mom has any in there if not then i wait till the tub in the fridge is gone wash it and cut it up!

i like it because its pretty damn cheap other than some time.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockeater View Post
I think i may try this tomorrow for my son's honcho. He is running 2.2 mudslinger's and they toss all sorts mud, rocks and water up underneath. Good tire but i think these fenderwells will keep alot of that from flying up where it shouldnt be !
so we finally got a decent day today sun is shining, chainsaw and log splitter buzzing in the distance thought it was a good day to try to see if lexan paint would work for parka margarine tubs so i shot the first coat on them and its drying now, so a couple more coats then i'll bend em' and see if the paint peels get some pics and report back!!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Cool cant wait to hear, I attempted the marg idea there and well I sscrewed up andno more bowls but i have a folgers plastic coffee canand its much thicker so same idea of your but differant can im a go try it later.

Be interested to see how the paint holds up

I have a can of rubber spray thats black i may try idk yet
Old 11-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockeater View Post
Cool cant wait to hear, I attempted the marg idea there and well I sscrewed up andno more bowls but i have a folgers plastic coffee canand its much thicker so same idea of your but differant can im a go try it later.

Be interested to see how the paint holds up

I have a can of rubber spray thats black i may try idk yet
sweet man.. got 2 coats on em' today and i can bend the piss out of them and the paint doesnt crack or peel.. im very happy with the results!!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
RCC Addict

here's a couple pics of mine painted.

they are just sitting on the tires for viewing purposes.

to the OP- sorry for hi-jacking your thread lol
Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #15
RCC Addict

If anyone is gonna use the plastic style bowls for the fender wells here's a good process for "painting"

Done use paint! No matter what kind it is it WILL come off sooner or later.

But I have a solution

Lightly sand the inner portion of said fender well. Make sure the entire surface has been roughed up.

Coat wit 3-4 coats of black pasti-dip spray. Its ruberized so it flexes with the fenderwell and won't come off.

Plasti dip spray can be found at 99% of hardware stores.
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote