Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: how to waterproof a winch? 3racing rc4wd.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default how to waterproof a winch? 3racing rc4wd.

it states on the description for both winches there not waterproof, is it possible to waterproof them? is it the esc or the winch that isn't waterproof? and how do you waterproof them?

i know you can waterproof electronics with a balloon but its the winch I'm confused about.
lordjasper1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I think it refers to the controller that is not waterproof. They are just circuit boards with a little shrink wrap on them. They are open on the sides and water can easily get in and short the circuit boards. I think I had heard that some of the 3racing or RC4WD winches use a brushless motor. They tend to not be as friendly with water then a brushed. But if it is a brushed motor winch, then just seal the controller and you will be fine. On one of my rigs I have a 3Racing 1/10 winch. I run it with a "Heyok" controller. Heyoks controllers are waterproof and work much better then the stock ones anyway. More power, less wiring and waterproof. On my rig with the 3Racing I have had no issues with water or mud and it has been submerged countless times.

If it is a winch with a brushless controller then I am not of any help. I have not used one so I can not say what would be needed. for the controller, I would just place it in a sealed box or silicone it. I would never run one of them again though as they really are poorly made and have many issues. Wires falling off is one of the common things. Poor soldering, etc.

I think a better route would be to look into one of Heyoks servo winch setups. It will be hidden in the vehicle and not look like a winch. But the performance of a servo winch compared to the 3Racing type is far superior. If you are doing it for looks, then it doesn't really matter waterproof or not. But if you want to actually use the winch, the servo types will really be a much better option.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The winches themselves are OK with water. Just make sure you pull it down and lube the gear occasionally to stop the gears from locking up.
It's the factory control units that don't like water. You can waterproof these yourself, or as Rook82 said buy one of HeyOK's winch controllers.

Rook82: The early RC3wd winches used a sensorless brushless motor. Sensorless motors are actually better to run in water as there is nothing to be generally affected by it other than the bearings rusting.

Last edited by WIDELOAD; 11-26-2011 at 04:57 PM.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I just dip all my electronics twice in plasti-dip.. The boards, mind you, not just the cases...Hasn't failed yet!
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
The winches themselves are OK with water. Just make sure you pull it down and lube the gear occasionally to stop the gears from locking up.
It's the factory control units that don't like water. You can waterproof these yourself, or as Rook82 said buy one of HeyOK's winch controllers.

Rook82: The early RC3wd winches used a sensorless brushless motor. Sensorless motors are actually better to run in water as there is nothing to be generally affected by it other than the bearings rusting.

Thanks for the info. All I have ever run is either a standard $25 3Racing winch and then home made servo winches. So I didn't have too much info to base it on. The small winches sure do look nice they are just pretty disappointing in performance. But not bad for the price. The price just about justifies the looks alone.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook82 View Post
I think it refers to the controller that is not waterproof. They are just circuit boards with a little shrink wrap on them. They are open on the sides and water can easily get in and short the circuit boards. I think I had heard that some of the 3racing or RC4WD winches use a brushless motor. They tend to not be as friendly with water then a brushed. But if it is a brushed motor winch, then just seal the controller and you will be fine. On one of my rigs I have a 3Racing 1/10 winch. I run it with a "Heyok" controller. Heyoks controllers are waterproof and work much better then the stock ones anyway. More power, less wiring and waterproof. On my rig with the 3Racing I have had no issues with water or mud and it has been submerged countless times.

If it is a winch with a brushless controller then I am not of any help. I have not used one so I can not say what would be needed. for the controller, I would just place it in a sealed box or silicone it. I would never run one of them again though as they really are poorly made and have many issues. Wires falling off is one of the common things. Poor soldering, etc.

I think a better route would be to look into one of Heyoks servo winch setups. It will be hidden in the vehicle and not look like a winch. But the performance of a servo winch compared to the 3Racing type is far superior. If you are doing it for looks, then it doesn't really matter waterproof or not. But if you want to actually use the winch, the servo types will really be a much better option.
Mark, the key is to make one look scale and pull the ugly outta Sandra Bernhard.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I went ghetto on my water proofing, I cut the shrink wrap away from the stock controller then smeared 'GOOP' all over it to cover it completely. I've been using it like this for more than a year without any issues and it's been under water plenty of times.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozrovr View Post
Mark, the key is to make one look scale and pull the ugly outta Sandra Bernhard.

I am not sure any winch can pull out that!

When my 3Racing dies, it will be left in place for the looks with another servo winch behind it somewhere. The trick is finding a place for it. That was the only hard part.

Tags
3racing, rc4wd, waterproof, winch