Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Toyota Hilux Flare comparison RC4wd Big Boss flares and SDI Round.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Toyota Hilux Flare comparison RC4wd Big Boss flares and SDI Round.

Flares are cool. I always want them but on my last few Toyota pickups I never pulled the trigger for two reasons. The first reason was I felt the builds were a bit too conservative for the Bushwhacker Cut out look. The second reason was I wasn't sure how different the flares were.

On my past 1:1's that I've used flares (Bushwhacker cut out flares) I trimmed a copious amount of fender away and attached the flares. They gave me more tire coverage, but also gave me more room for articulation before rubbing. This was a nice option on my '99 XJ as even with lots of lift, only modest tires fit due to the narrow wheel wells. I wasn't really sure what scale flare would give me these benefits (Or drawbacks should you not want to trim plastic.)

RC4wd Big Boss Flares

SDI 4X4 Round Flares

You can see the big difference in the two. The SDI flares are rounded and will fit other applications. They require, in the case of the Hilux, the fender to be trimmed, much like a 1:1. The RC4wd flares fit on the stock fenders and use scale hardware and adhesive for mounting.

For installation of the SDI's I trimmed away the existing fender lips with an air cutter.

Once everything was cut away I marked where I needed to trim the actual flares to match my arches (these are universal don't forget). They cut easily with a new #11 blade and I then used ZapGoo for my adhesive. I used some small metal clamps to hold everything in place while the Zap set up.

For the RC4wd flares I started by lining the flares up and marking where I would need to drill. The flares are held on primarily with adhesive but the scale hardware does some work and adds a nice look. They also trimmed up well (only needed to do this up front where the grill and fenders were trimmed).

Once all the holes were drilled I, once again, used ZapGoo to get things stuck.

Both styles have a place. While the RC4wd flares stick farther out and have more beef, the SDI's are lower profile, but provide for less rubbing because of the cutting. For a product that one would assume is very similar, they're quite different both in installation and in function.

For my white truck the SDI's blend well with my look while offering a bit more tire coverage and a lot more room. The Look of the flares matches the mild look of the truck. They're a bit more invasive to install

On the green truck, the burlier looking Big Boss flares play well with the 1.9" Rock Crusher X/T II's and it's overall beefy feel. The double wall design of the flares take up more space in the wheel well so unless you do some cutting you may find these, at best, give you no more or less room than stock. At worst, they may rub a bit more.

Lots more pics of both styles on the Kraftwork Page
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Toyota Hilux Flare comparison RC4wd Big Boss flares and SDI Round.

Very nice write up. I've been looking at these myself and as you, haven't pulled the trigger on either because I wasn't sure of the final look and how they would go on. Knowing the differences and mounting helps a lot in deciding which route ill go. Thanks again for the great write up, good job.

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Toyota Hilux Flare comparison RC4wd Big Boss flares and SDI Round. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hilux Flare Comparison neillarson Scale Accessories 0 04-22-2012 02:37 PM
1.9 Scale Tire Comparison: RC4WD & SDI Tommy R Tires and Wheels 14 12-19-2010 08:25 AM