Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Scale DANA 60's for your SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Exclamation Scale DANA 60's for your SCX10

ok, wasn't real sure where to put this thread being that i'm using wraith axles cut down to scx10 width, so anyway here they are.

don't mind the 2.2 hexes, the rear axle is exactly the same width as a scx10 from pin to pin and the front is +5mm wider than a scx10 from pin to pin for an even more scale/realistic look.
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Scale DANA 60's for your SCX10

well, I done a lot of studying and a lil searching before I started these, I wanted to get the right the first time. I started by comparing the inner short shaft from a rear ar60 to an inner rear shaft of a scx10 axle.

results=same dimensions, exact length, pin hole, and bearing placement.

this shows an ar60 short inner in between 2 scx10 inners

you will have to turn down the diff end to look like this though.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
RCC Addict

so, with the inner shafts figured out, I got started on the rear housing. being the inner shafts are the same, you will only have to shorten the long side of the wraith housing.

first cut.....self explainitory

second cut..i measured over 11/16" from where the tube meets the pumpkin.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
RCC Addict

now, for reassembly, clean up/sand smooth your cuts on the housing and the splined end of the axle. now for the secret piece that makes this all possible, (I actually learned this from a post in a thread started by shinjari, that I think learned it from scaleready) a male WB8 driveshaft.

you will need to cut off the end that excepts the yoke. these male shafts fit very snuggly inside the axle tubes and have a large enuff inner hole for the axle shafts to pass through nicely.

Last edited by FATBOYrs10; 07-14-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I then placed a bearing into the splined end, applied a lil bit of CA glue on one end of the wb8 shaft and (on a hard flat surface) pushed the driveshaft into the splined end until it bottomed out.

I then measured out about 10mm from the splined end and cut the remaining driveshaft off.

then basically repeating the same process, a lil more CA glue, then press this assembly into the axle housing.

now you have a centered rear AR60 housing that is scx10 width. just reassemble using the stock ar60 diff/gears, ar60 rear lockouts, and your turned down scx10 inner rear axle shafts.

you will however have to come up with link mounts, I found that rc4wd 4link mounts for t-rex 60 axles work fine for your lower link/shock mounts, but you will still have to come up with a upper link mount yourself.

I have not ran these axle at all yet. they may or may not hold up at all, but I truly think they will, especially in a stockish powered rig, which is really all I ever run myself anyway.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
jpf
Quarry Creeper

this I want to see and learn from...

... JP using Tapatalk
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
RCC Addict

now for the OCP front housing, it's basically the same techniques, just different cuts. i'll start with short side first.

again start by cutting off the splined end, then cut the remaining tube off flush with the pumpkin. then reassemble it in the same manner as I described in the rear using a wb8 male shaft. you will need to only leave about 8mm of shaft sticking out of the splined end as so it will seat up tight against the housing.

this is what the finished short side will look like.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
RCC Addict

now for the long side. again start by cutting the splined end off first then cut off just the link mount section.

now this is where you yourself will have to determine your overall width and make your cuts accordingly. I wanted a more scale look, so my front housing is +5mm wider than the rear I made earlier. after some measuring, I found that a piece of 3/4" masking tape placed right against the pumpkin would give me just what I wanted.

NOTE***cut along the end of the tape farthest away from the pumpkin.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
RCC Addict

then using a long wb8 male shaft, reassemble the splined end and the link mount section to look like this.

then carefully install into the axle housing remembering to make sure you have your link mount section facing the right direction and clocked accordingly with the opposite side/link mount.

NOTE**** you will need to run a drill bit through the link mount holes as the wb8 shafts will now have them blocked.

finished OCP front housing, +5mm wider than a scx10 axle.

Last edited by FATBOYrs10; 07-14-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the tutorial, I've got a few spare AR60 housings, looks like I can turn them into something usable.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
RCC Addict

as far as front inner shafts go, i'm not going to give any measurements, but only the technique I used to determine my shaft lengths.

**NOTE** you MUST use wraith/AR60 inner shafts when building the front axle. any style shaft, i.e. stock dog bones, CVD's, or UNI's will work, but they MUST be for the wraith/AR60 axles.

I first replaced the c-hubs and the bearings in the end of the housings. then with the diff/gears removed from the housing, 1 at a time I placed an inner shaft into the housing. I marked the shafts at center of the pumpkin, then another mark 1/8" further off center towards that shafts side. then cut the shaft at that mark and reground the flats on the axle shafts as so they would go back into the diff. patience and carefulness is the key to this step. slowly make your flats, test fitting them in your diff as go.

the stock lower link/shock mounts are reused on the front axles, however you will still have to make your own upper link mount. the stock upper wraith mount can be modded to work.

Last edited by FATBOYrs10; 07-16-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

That's fantastic. I will be trying this. Thanks
Jayzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Nice write up!
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Nice write up. Need to find the time and buy bearings to finish my set. like the d60 link mounts. Good option for adjustable positioning.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Very cool! There's been quite a few people that did something similar. I can't find the thread right now but, I can post a few pics of my setup to help people in the future if they see this thread. I have a cool truss idea to show you as well.

Here's what I ended up with..

This is a VP truss made for their aluminum scx10 housing. I cut it down to fit this axle.. It's an expensive mod but, its the coolest thing I could come up with at the time.

Heres how it mounts the links..

I made little beef tubes for mine but, I think I like the WB8 idea better..

Using a tie rod made for a wraith seemed to work out very well for me.. It already had the right bends.. I just had to chop the long side off of it & thread it.

If you're going to shorten an axle shaft & grind on new flats, it's ideal to use a "set screw style" locker to clamp onto the modified shaft.

I hope I helped. I'd like to see more people doing this. Lookin' good FATBOYrs10
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
RCC Addict

upper link mount looks awesome I also had thought of getting a set of beef tubes and cutting them down to fit myself, but I wanted to build this set of axles as cheap as possible. just to show that they can be done EZ and on the cheap. with the exception of having to got to the shop to grind the inner shafts, I built these housings all while sitting at my kitchen table under the A/C. made all my cuts with a razor saw.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Pretty slick guys..... Ill take a set... Can I have aluminum ? I tend to chew em up pretty good.
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
RCC Addict

X2 on the VP alxe truss thats what I intend to use.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Nice work their Jeremy, they came out pretty sweet...
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Those axles look perfect under that jeep @dielaughing!
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote

Scale DANA 60's for your SCX10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dana 80? mud digger 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 02-12-2012 09:24 PM
Scale Dana 60 Differentials.... ScaleHobbies General Crawlers 7 05-30-2006 10:33 PM