Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Are You Prepared? How We Keep Murphy Away While Crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Are You Prepared? How We Keep Murphy Away While Crawling

I have not really seen any posts on here that show what people take with them while they are out running their rigs. So I thought this post might be useful for new people to the hobby or people who are wondering.

When we go out during the warmer times of year here in Eastern Washington we usually go on what we call expeditions. Trailing is one of our favorite ways to test the capabilities of our rigs because of all the unknowns that can take place on a trail.

We have been on three or four really great hikes where we have taken our rigs with us. A couple of which we have recorded and are up on our Youtube channel. You can watch one of my favorite scale trail runs by clicking the link.

Being that most times while trailing you are away from any kind of work bench and parts you have to make sure you go prepared. I can tell you personally I have wasted part of the time I get during a weekend taking a hike all the way back to the truck to get one little part.

Well, after that experience we started making a point of going prepared. Being that my wife is the one who is with me she takes a backpack too. But her bag usually has the more "hiking" oriented gear in it like a first aid kit, matches, some type of blanket, water and snacks.

However, being that trailing your rig involves testing the limits of your 4x4 we have adapted.

Below I have several images, that I will describe to you, displaying the trailing equipment we take to keep that SOB Murphy in his hole where he belongs. Cause we all know it: The more stuff you put between you and Murphy the less he feels like visiting.

Below we have a picture of my backpack. I know it is a little blurry but this bag is actually made by Dakine and is used for back country skiing. I have had it for quite a while and it has plenty of storage space for all the things you will see below.

If you are looking for a bag specifically for trailing I would suggest getting one that has both chest and waist straps. For those long hikes it sure does help to take some of that weight off your shoulders. But if you are lucky you can convince the little lady that your shoulders hurt anyway and you would like a beer and a back rub.

Last edited by TuffNStuff; 11-05-2013 at 10:27 PM.
TuffNStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

When we go trailing we usually go a ways out and about from the city way up in the hills and in the back country (within means) for our day hikes. Bears, wolves and cougar are in the woods so to let them know we're coming and kill off the curiosity of the electric motor we pack my iPod with a portable speaker.

We don't blast it but we do keep it loud enough that critters can hear us coming. I know it works because the one time it actually died we ran into a black bear. Luckily he got one look at my angry face, dropped a load and tucked what little he had of a tail between his legs and ran for the hills. HEY! This is my post... I can stretch the truth a bit.... But we did run into a bear. Seriously....

Last edited by TuffNStuff; 11-05-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Next up we have a few pics of some of the hardware we take along with us. We take a small assortment of various nuts, bolts, screws, washers and body pins along with us just in case something decides to wiggle loose and fall out. We just carry ours in a package we got from Vanquish when we ordered some upgrades. We also use it to hold our little grease rag as well.

I would say this is very crucial because there have been times when a bolt that is needed for the vehicle to run correctly has worked its way out. Luckily we had a replacement in the bag and within a few short minutes of getting the bolt out and installing it we were back up and running without taking a hike back to the truck which is annoying no matter how far away it is.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Next up we have a couple picks of the tools we take with us. What good is carrying hardware if you don't have the tools to install them? You never know what you are going to need and although most of the hardware on the truck only requires a few of the different tools in my case I take it all anyway.

Now you don't have to go blow a big wad of cash on a tool case like this from Team Integy. If you find there are only a few different tools you are using either commonly or at all on your rig I would suggest taking them. Then throw in the ones that you think you may use if Murphy does come around. This tool set is awesome BTW. It has pretty much everything you could ask for when it comes to hand tools. They are all constructed with aluminum grips and or steel. With the exception of the scissor handles. I did add a few things to this however. Zip ties, needle nose and a gun cleaning brush.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Being that we have not converted to using LiPo batteries yet we still are using the standard NiMh batteries which have been pretty good for us. We usually are out for about 4 to 5 hours with our rigs, running them on the trails and we take our extra batteries so we can stay out longer. Being that most people are using LiPo this may not be a factor but for those of you who are still running NiMh this is a good idea. No one likes to go home early, especially if you have been waiting since Monday to get out.

When we make our conversion to LiPo we will still probably take spares with us just in case. You never know when you are going to have problems, and when you are five miles from your rig, you don't want to waste your time walking back to grab something you should have took with you.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Being that sometimes parts do break. Even though Axial does a really bang up job on their plastic sometimes wear and tear can get the best of it. Most times, if you are running an Axial rig you will have a spare parts bag that should have come with the rig. I have broke a servo horn in the middle of nowhere but luckily we had our parts bag with us. I removed the broken servo, dug through the parts bag and pulled a plastic one. Even though it was plastic it still worked to keep us out where we wanted to be and not driving back home to get more parts, or worse, going to a store to find a replacement. Goodbye trailing, hello boredom. It's easily avoidable if you just take one of your bags with you. Plus chicks dig a man who's prepared!

Being that my wife and I always go together, I take both our bags. Sometimes one bag has something that another bag doesn't and is just another added measure and line of defense between you and that dirty bastard Murphy...

Last edited by TuffNStuff; 11-06-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

This is our small pit mat made by one of the awesome supporting vendors here, Cow RC. These mats are magnetic and have partitioned spaces that keep your parts separated. I can't tell you how much a of life saver this is. When you are nowhere near a table and don't want parts sprouting legs and running away this handy little mat has your back.

We also have a larger one we use at home but this small one is just the right size for packing in the bag. Support our vendors - you can buy them here:

Cow RC - Work Mats

Tell 'em we sent ya!

Last edited by TuffNStuff; 11-05-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Last up, we have some gate markers. Those who have been to any type of crawling or scaler comp will know what these are. These are used to mark gates on crawling courses that test the ability of the driver and the vehicle. If you own an Axial rig that you bought new you will have these in your parts bag waiting to be used. If not you can always make a trip to your local sporting goods store and buy a tube of tennis balls. Just cut them in half (If you're young make sure you get an adult to help you. Sometime this can be a little tricky. Its better if you do it AND keep all you digits )

We take this with us because we come across little spots all the time when we are out and when we want to add a little competition to the fun. Just set up a few gate markers and now that pile of rocks has become a test for you and anyone else who's with you. Best part is, if you are driving with the little lady and you lose, you can always give her an "atta-boy"

Last edited by TuffNStuff; 11-05-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

For those of you wondering. We do actually take all this with us and in many cases more. I felt like this was a good start for anyone looking for some advice to get you out on the trails and to keep Murphy back at home.

Most times when we go I pack a couple cameras and a tripod to capture some of the scenery and to make the moments last. We also record some of our runs.

Most of all it is important to always stay safe. Make sure you take first-aid with you, water and some snacks, especially if you plan on putting some distance between you and the road you came there on. You never want to get caught unprepared, ever. If your young or inexperienced its always a good idea to take someone with you or at least let people know how long expect to be gone and where you are going and how you plan on getting there. A map is best. Even though we all know what we are capable of, stuff happens and it's easier to help you if you eliminate as many unknowns as you can.

Below I have a video for those of you interested in getting out there and hitting the trails. This is footage from one of our first excursions, a 50 scale mile excursion. I hope you enjoy. Now...

Go how now other goes.

Back Country Scale RC Excursion - Devil's Spur

Last edited by TuffNStuff; 11-05-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Are You Prepared? How We Keep Murphy Away While Crawling

first time I met a guy named murphy I beat the crap out of him and told him to never come near me again, haven't seen a murphy since ....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
SuperShafty.com

nice thread man. i can relate to pretty much everything you take except for the critter-scarer. over here on the east coast we have blackbears, but they tend to stay away from us hoo-mans.

something else yo keep in mind is a spare servo, and other elecs. nothing worse then being an hour walk down the trail and have to carry thing the rest of the way.

we also tend to bring an entire scale truck with us strapped to our back packs. it can be heavy, but usually we are at a sport for a couple minutes, so take the bag off, and play, then put the bag on when you move to the next spot.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
nice thread man. i can relate to pretty much everything you take except for the critter-scarer. over here on the east coast we have blackbears, but they tend to stay away from us hoo-mans.

something else yo keep in mind is a spare servo, and other elecs. nothing worse then being an hour walk down the trail and have to carry thing the rest of the way.

we also tend to bring an entire scale truck with us strapped to our back packs. it can be heavy, but usually we are at a sport for a couple minutes, so take the bag off, and play, then put the bag on when you move to the next spot.
good idea bringing another truck along never thought of that but it makes sense i always bring another and leave it in my truck just in case i might have to strap in on the pack next time
koltes36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

x2 on everything here, always good to be prepared. the ihome speaker you show actually fits very well instead of the spare on a honcho body extra motor, servo and rx are pretty small and lightweight and can help not only you but somebody else if murphy shows up. a good plan is to spread stuff out between packs like you said, that way everybody doesn't have to carry a ton of stuff.
dc6287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post

If I had a spare truck I may do that. We are actually in the process of developing a product for trail riders.

Taking electronics would be a good idea to... cause you are right you never know. I typically have a tote like you would see in a fishing tackle box that has all the little partitioned spaces in it that I throw in that bag too. There was a spare servo in there for a bit but I had to throw it in after the one I had on the truck broke.

I would like to upgrade my servo as a matter of fact. I really need to get into LiPo but I don't solder and have never soldered electronics.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc6287 View Post
x2 on everything here, always good to be prepared. the ihome speaker you show actually fits very well instead of the spare on a honcho body extra motor, servo and rx are pretty small and lightweight and can help not only you but somebody else if murphy shows up. a good plan is to spread stuff out between packs like you said, that way everybody doesn't have to carry a ton of stuff.
I agree on all points you made there. This has given me a few ideas for some trail gear that we could make. I don't really see anyone catering to this crowd.

If I had to project, I would say trail riding is going to get a lot more popular here in the coming years.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I suggest a spare motor unless you keep a really close eye on your brushes, you never know when your motor will need a rebuild.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

This sounds like fun.Do you go out in the winter too?
JK Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Krawler View Post
This sounds like fun.Do you go out in the winter too?
We may. This is actually the first year I have owned our rigs. We bought the around March this year.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

you need some plastic tackle boxes for those screws bro.

all this is in my backpack..

ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
you need some plastic tackle boxes for those screws bro.

all this is in my backpack..

Yup! You got it man. I actually do have a plastic container just like that. I usually take it with us too. I was taking the, "This is would you need/should have to start" approach. Minus the iPod...

I like your set up though. What is that you got all your batteries in?

Last edited by TuffNStuff; 11-08-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Are You Prepared? How We Keep Murphy Away While Crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
andrews murphy nc area lowridinjuggalo North Carolina 5 12-16-2008 10:37 PM
How Will Your Turkey Be Prepared?? Robb Chit Chat 31 11-22-2007 09:22 PM
Be prepared shortbusjeep Chit Chat 15 02-11-2006 04:14 PM