Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: New Barrage, returning to hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #1

Default New Barrage, returning to hobby

Just picked up my new Barrage!!! Super excited lol. My local hobby shop not only carried them, but also upgraded the servos on them prior to selling them.

Mainly wanted to hop on here and thank everyone for thier input on these trucks....hilbillyrc particularly. You shared a wealth of information on these rigs and really helped me decide on getting one and back into this hobby. Thank you sir.
Time to rip open the box and see what I can break first
Naydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Barrage, returning to hobby

Awesome, congratulations, start building and let's see some pictures! What color are you going to paint it?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks. Didn't get the chance to get the Barrage out yesterday with work and stuff, but I did have time to cut off the little rubber bump stops on the shocks and get some nice suspension flex out of it lol.

Put it through some abuse today, some crawling, mud, water
Very happy with the way it flex's on he trail. Think my first mod mod though is going to be the body. Either painting and doing something with the existing body, (saw a few online that don't look to bad, especially a military style on YouTube) or just replace it with an older model pick up.

Some pics from this mornings Maiden Voyage

Naydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #4

Checkout my thread in the 1.9 Scale section. I list all the parts I have tried that have worked or failed and other hypotheticals.
220shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

got a link? my son just got one for his 9th birthday yesterday. he loves it. he got to the top of a pretty steep 20ft hill and shouted form the top, "DAD, IM HOOKED!!!" the only time a father can hear those words and be proud ;)

I have read tons aobut this rig but I find myself scrambling to remember it all now lol
servo (on ECX' dime)
locktite chub screws
trim bump stops (maybe half? don't want "too much" flex)
flip battery bar
dremel pumpkin stumps
switch to deans plugs (or maybe Tamiya since all my NiMh packs are Tamiya plugged)
eventually outboard shocks? should be easy now with the v2 parts that just came out.

out of the box though im VERY impressed with this thing.

Last edited by Shinchu; 08-15-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:38 AM   #6

1st Hobby Grade RC, ECX Barrage 1.9 Build I need to clean up all the info on the first post but this is currently what my truck is sitting at:
- flipped front cross member (this is for more vertical movement of front axle but you almost never get that kind of movement in my experience in crawling so this is really not even necessary)
- remove shock bump stops Front and rear. Incredible amount of flex after this. I suggest removing all of rear and as much or little of front as you need to not run in body. This will also depend on if you lift your truck any. In my experience though the tuck becomes very tippy of you go much higher then stock.
- Spectrum S6230 Servo, around $70-80 on horizon, so much better, will also require a new Servo horn, I went with the axial aluminum 23t
- Redcat full metal front and rear lockers from Everest 16
- Hobbywing 1080 ESC
- Hot Racing Steel Center CV Driveshafts. There's too much angle on the rear drive shaft so it will bind. This is fixed by using Hot Racing's 3mm Asstd. spacer kit to space out the upper links for better angle. I also used upgraded to longer RC4WD threaded rods and traxxas rod ends while I was in there. You'll also need a new set screws for the shafts.
- Switch to some beadlocks and better tires. Makes a world of difference, for a budget route On Amazon you can get a set of plastic beadlocks with Mudslinger knockoffs for $20something dollars. Add some wheel weights and star cut the foams and you'll be good to go.
- I also switched to 50wt Shock oil front and back, still testing this out. But due to the 3mm hardware up top and 2mm down low shock choices are basically non existent. You'll be okay with that but the bottom mount will be loose/sloppy and I'm not a fan of internal air spring shocks.
- Outboarding the front shocks makes you lose a significant amount of flex in the front due to the wheel hitting the shock very quickly. However depending on your rig and what type of driving you do this may be okay for you but I haven't experienced any drawbacks of inboarded shocks.
- I got the ECX Aluminum rear hub carriers and they are very nice but honestly the stock plastic one is strong enough I believe.
- The e-revo pinion gear overdrive mod that you've probably read about, yeah it doesn't work. I actually tried it and the Gears won't mesh they are different pitch.
- Losi MRC Transmission Gears and Spur Gears will not work either.
- I would upgrade to the ecx aluminum steering spindles and steering drag link especially if you upgrade the Servo.
- 380 motors will not fit without modification to the motor plate. I would buy the 14t ECX temper pinion gear for the stock motor for he motor to run cooler.
- RC4WD SCX10 Metal bumpers will fit (the type with just 2 brackets not posts) but need some small shims/spacers to make up the small width difference and new holes must be drilled into the chassis rails. For the price however you're better off getting bumpers and rock sliders for Scalerfab that are made to fit the Barrage.

That's all I can think of for now, oh and I rewired to deans and use my 7.4v 1600mah lipos from Airsoft that are commonly found and get great run time once you disconnect the LED lights.
220shaun is offline   Reply With Quote

New Barrage, returning to hobby - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st Hobby Grade RC, ECX Barrage 1.9 Build 220shaun 1.9 Scale Rigs 17 08-16-2017 12:38 AM
Returning to the hobby...so back to Noob status... CJBrad Newbie General 8 05-20-2016 04:59 PM
Returning to hobby, need advice on rr10 and batts. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 5 05-05-2016 07:09 PM
New Guy returning to the hobby Rooney7783 Newbie General 7 11-23-2011 11:32 AM
hopefully returning Bknight Chit Chat 15 03-15-2007 12:24 PM